Sign in to follow this  
MrYorkiesWorld

How does P3D v3 Perform compared to FSX:SE?

Hi everyone, hope you're all well!

I've been using FSX for a long time now but I want to transition to P3D with it being more up-to-date and advanced etc...

Compared to FSX, how well does P3D really run with addon aircraft such as the PMDG 737-800 NGX? I also have scenery installed on FSX that I'd love to be able to run in P3D.

Ideally I would want the program to run as smoothly as possible, but to also look as good as possible to give the realistic feel when I fly.

My current specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 Ghz CPU

16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 GPU

How well would you say P3D would run on my system? Would it be better than FSX in terms of frame rates, smoothness, graphics etc...?

I am quite new to P3D and have only used it once a while ago for 30 days to test it out, but now that version 3 is out and is said to be a lot better I just want some general advise on whether or not it's worth switching? 

Apologies if this is in the incorrect thread, I wasn't sure which one to put it in!

Thanks!

-Yorkie

As a staunch supporter of FSX SE, I should be the last person to comment, especially after a somewhat disappointing encounter with P3D 2.5.......However, I have just purchased P3D v3 and I can tell you it is amazing! The performance, graphics are very superior to 2.5. The only small crit I would make is that the clouds are not as nice as they are in FSX SE. Other than that...Go For It!!

My Specs are:-

AMD 8core @ 4.2 ghz, 16gig ram, NVidia GTX780 2gig

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Yeah v3 is a big improvement for me at least. FPS is up and OOM are down. Was great to fly from KDEN (Flightbeam) to KLAX (FSDT) and still have over 800mb memory left.

From EGFF to YSSY

Changes made for v3 may cause issues with certain addons. We recommend only using v3-compliant addons with v3.

BTW, you would have to re-purchase the PMDG.

Other than that, P3D v3 is a major step forward.

• Upvote 1

I think what Yorkie is really asking is this

""How well would you say P3D would run on my system? Would it be better than FSX in terms of frame rates, smoothness, graphics etc...?""

I would say default graphics yes,  Don't know about FPS or smoothness.

I don't have FSX Steam,  but a lot of folks say its super stable and very smooth so I'm not sure how this would compare to V3 in terms of smoothness

I could be talking nonsense though

PD3 V3 runs faster than SE but SE runs smoother. PD3 seems to have trouble running smoothly. You get much more eye candy with PD3  for the same fps as SE with less. 

I will eventually remove SE and keep PD3 but really wish they could work out the problems with smooth motion. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I have the same setup as you do..v3 is great! But am +1 with what Warbirds said.That smoothness is not there yet at 60hz..I run v3 at 30hz it's smooth but when fps fall below 30,stutter,stutter.Scroll down and you will find many threads on v3 smoothness.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

I find the FSX:SE runs smoother and quicker, manages the VAS comparably to P3D v3, and has sharper AA.

However, P3D is very pretty if you can suppress the jaggies and texture aliasing.

I dont have the steam edition but Pv3 is on par with FSX as far as smoothness. plus you get a lot of eye candy options.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I dont have the steam edition but Pv3 is on par with FSX as far as smoothness. plus you get a lot of eye candy options.

Sorry I should have been more specific, prepar3d v3 is as smooth as FSX (WITH NVIDIA 1/2 REFRESH TWEAK). If you are not using the 1/2 refresh setting then there is NO CONTEST. Prepar3D is smoother. 

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I find the FSX:SE runs smoother and quicker, manages the VAS comparably to P3D v3, and has sharper AA.

However, P3D is very pretty if you can suppress the jaggies and texture aliasing.

I'd agree with that. I find the visual clarity of FSX SE better and less washed out than P3d. Frames are on a par and the smoothness is better in FSX SE although you will be missing the shadows and better VAS management. Clouds rendering is one big area however where FSX is streets ahead, oddly.

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

I'd agree with that. I find the visual clarity of FSX SE better and less washed out than P3d. Frames are on a par and the smoothness is better in FSX SE although you will be missing the shadows and better VAS management. Clouds rendering is one big area however where FSX is streets ahead, oddly.

Actually if you run FSXSE in DX10 (With the DX10Fixer) the only shadows you'll be missing is the Cloud to ground shadows. As for missing VAS management DTG implemented this in the FSXSE long before LM did in V3, and results are comparable.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Actually if you run FSXSE in DX10 (With the DX10Fixer) the only shadows you'll be missing is the Cloud to ground shadows. As for missing VAS management DTG implemented this in the FSXSE long before LM did in V3, and results are comparable.

Only cloud to ground shadows? Much more than that, shadows for trees, signs, bushes, vehicles and all planes. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Only cloud to ground shadows? Much more than that, shadows for trees, signs, bushes, vehicles and all planes. 

I stand corrected, you're right autogen objects in FSX do not have ground shadowing, although scenery objects do when the ground shadowing option is selected. Trees (At least the ones I use)  have shadowing built in, but they are not dynamic. I'm sure performance is better in P3D with shadowing active as well. It does take quite a hit especially with ground shadows in FSX.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d