Sign in to follow this  
RJC68

Best Turbo Prop Airliner

For what it's worth, I find flying turboprops that have lots of things to watch and manage much more difficult.  Enough so, that I have to be in the right mood for it.  When I am, the Saab fits the bill perfectly.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

What makes this one better than the carenado one?

Well, I am somewhat biased because I flew the STMA one for a long time before I bought the Carenado one. So I was already used to a certain flight model. The STMA version is light and fast - very much like a sports car. It goes where you point it and is very responsive. The systems are also very good - detailed exactly.

The Carenado one is totally different. Not the same aircraft at all. It feels like the B1900 (or really, any Carenado aircraft). It is slow and heavy. It even looks bigger from the outside. The HSI is totally unreadable - and as that is my main navigation instrument, it makes the plane unflyable. The ammeters are also totally wrong - they show readings all the time, when they should be 0. My system takes a 10 fps hit, which is very bad for me. Little documentation. There are probably other things, but these are the main things just off the top of the head. The HSI is a show stopper though.

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

I see thank you.

So whats the best turboprop to fly that's like a 5-10 seater?

Other than a PC12

For x-plane 10.

Thanks

Ian 

Nobody is bashing anything - perhaps you should re-read my comments? I think the 340A is a great plane. I was commenting on the complexity of this aircraft as Phantom88 intimated that it had complex systems. I was suggesting that the systems were not that complex and this should not be  a turnoff. This is a GOOD thing....

I would also like to say - EVERYTHING in these forums is personal opinion. The OP actually asked for opinions (ie thoughts).

Having an FMS, Autothrottle, etc, increases the number of complex systems in an aircraft, but doesn't necessarily reduce the systems complexity in the Saab.  

Most people consider the depth of the simulation to represent complexity, not the quantity of the systems that are modelled.

You can have a freeware A380 and compare it to the Saab, and the quantity of the systems of the A380 will outnumber the Saab.  But the complexity is another matter.

The ammeters are also totally wrong - they show readings all the time, when they should be 0.

An ammeter comment here....

Ammeters can be wired to show the actual load, or wired for input versus output, which is the "0".  I don't know which way the actual aircraft is wired. 

I disagree with this somewhat. The systems are not really that complex. There is no FMS for example, so we are not looking at 737-800 complexity or anything. No auto throttle, no VNAV, etc. It is a step up from plain VOR navigation, which is a good thing. The GNS530 interfaces fairly well.

Hello.I guess you could say The Complex Systems statement is somewhat subjective and based on the aircraft operators experience in Turboprops.

Just speaking for myself[not a real pilot] I find myself fully immersed for hours using the Saab's many different interactive menus,This coupled with the Amazing graphics and great sounds are features that make me very satisfied with this purchase.

Here's a great video highlighting some of the Saab's finer points.

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

The Saab is incredible, like pmdg of the XP world

There is an autostart config that will get you mostly setup for takeoff.

Read the tutorial once and you'll be good.

It's a reasonably fast plane, cruises well in the high teens, hand flying is touchy (apparently very realistic from reading up on it - just that the real pilots have a yoke with more travel than my joystick hehe). Auto flight is nice for the most part. Modeling is gorgeous inside and out - night lighting/effects = yummy! It's one of those planes that makes you think you're really flying it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

An ammeter comment here....

Ammeters can be wired to show the actual load, or wired for input versus output, which is the "0".  I don't know which way the actual aircraft is wired. 

The PC-12 shows the input vs output - ie 0. In fact, the checklist requires that the readings be below 15A before takeoff is allowed.

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

Why not try the Twin Otter from Pedro which is free, to me it is fantastic. I don't know how good the systems are but I really enjoy it.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I have Carenado's B1900 in FSX, and I've never liked flying it enough to warrant me picking it up for XP.  Nothing bad, just not an exciting / fun / interesting aircraft.

You should never try to compare the FSX or P3D Carenados with its X-Plane counterparts.

There is no way to convert an FSX Plane to X-Plane or convert a Plane from X.Plane to FSX. It is more a recreation, since their flight models have different foundations. As an example X-Plane always calculates the drag of propeller blades, FSX does not. Since Carenado doesn't recreate the flight model like the RealAir Turbine Duke or the Majestics Dash 8it can't land as these planes really do. Push Condition and Prop levers full forward, while you havea low throttle and the plane slows down even when it descends. The FSX version lands more like a jet.

You should never try to compare the FSX or P3D Carenados with its X-Plane counterparts.

There is no way to convert an FSX Plane to X-Plane or convert a Plane from X.Plane to FSX. It is more a recreation, since their flight models have different foundations. As an example X-Plane always calculates the drag of propeller blades, FSX does not. Since Carenado doesn't recreate the flight model like the RealAir Turbine Duke or the Majestics Dash 8it can't land as these planes really do. Push Condition and Prop levers full forward, while you havea low throttle and the plane slows down even when it descends. The FSX version lands more like a jet.

Wasn't comparing.  I'm fully aware that the Carenado/Alabeo aircraft in XP are quite well done, and I have indeed re-purchased a few for use in XP.  My comment that I never liked flying the B1900D enough in FSX to care to get it in XP had nothing to do with the quality of the FSX version, and everything to do with the fact that I found I just didn't care for it that much.  Wasn't as much fun as flying something smaller, nor as much fun as flying something more complex.

I have a large 'regret' folder of aircraft purchases that I thought I'd enjoy, but never really took a shine to.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I see thank you.

So whats the best turboprop to fly that's like a 5-10 seater?

Other than a PC12

For x-plane 10.

Thanks

Ian 

Well with 5-10 Seater its abit harder as there are more possibilities.

I like the B200 from carrenado, don't know exactly why but there is something about that plane and its powerful turboprops. Also you can fly at FL280 with no problems and pretend to be a tubeliner :)

However i do love the exotic planes.  The Jetsteam 32 is really a nice plane to fly (especially after the community update), but my favorite one is the Mitsubishi MU2. It is abit older and you need to tinker abit with it to update to the new GPS (easy)  but it is a beauty to fly. It is probably the closest you will get to a STOL plane with 8 seats :D

Felis An 24 is a gem, a bit old but still a very good turboprop.

Torfi

I know I'm necro-ing and I apologize,but i felt theres a few things that were left unsaid.

1. no matter how you slice it, the LES Saab 340A is an absolute joy to fly. Its become my favorite plane of all time, even topping my own aircraft which i worked on. I generally fly dead reckoning by the seat of my pants with only the garmin to give me a clue as to where i am.. Its a fantastic aircraft..

2. The MU-2 is another incredible little plane. It had a rough beginning in life because the horizontal stabilizer was designed upside down, and a lot of pilots were killed because of that. The FAA now requires special training and certification for this plane, and those same qualities are modeled into the xp version. It takes a bit of mastering, but once you do, its fantastic and fun, having the handling characteristics of a WWII fighter ( a real one, not an fsx one )..

Pam

Yes, I'm surprised it took this long for someone to mention the MU2 from X-Aviation.  Very unique aircraft and well modeled.