Sign in to follow this  
paulwilko10

Choosing Correct Altitude

Hiya

No doubt there is no simple answer to this, but here goes.

I generally fly the Aerosoft Airbus

When taking off, I generally set the Alt to 7000 as I seem to remember it in the tutorial but not sure why and when do you change that, I assume when you are approaching that altitude?

When at TOD, what Alt do i set to start my decent? And how do I come up with that Alt?

I have been (And no doubt wrongly) setting it for about 6000 and then when close'ish to the ils i start getting down to the proper glideslope.

Obviously I need to take into account any obstructions, but base your answers maybe on a very straight forward take off and approach

I tried looking for this but couldn't find the answer, probably because my terminology was wrong

Thanks for any help

Paul

Hi Paul, you're delving into a few different topics here: (1) Altitudes on departure and approach, which for jetliners is usually guided by SIDS and STARS (and controllers of course, if you use ATC), and (2) Cruise altitudes, or flight levels, which vary according to both direction of flight and fuel management concerns.

Here's a link to some videos which explain SIDS and STARS: http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=27628

Here's a link to Wikipedia in flight levels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_level

Both of these are just launching points for you.  It'll take some study.  In the end I think you'll be happy with the added realism that brings to the sim.

Hans Soule

Some thoughts to ponder.

In some countires altude is based on teh direction you fly. Off one way even another.

Than there is wind, at alttude its preferable to fly with a tail wind, reduces fuel consumtion and reduces flight time Also wind speed vary at height so pays to look at wind speed vs altitude (winds aloft),especially when flying with real weather. For example here in Aus we have more or less a permanent wind at altiude blows from west to east. Means flights from sydney to Perth can take 4 to 5 hrs, on the way back can be as low as 3.5. On one flight they tried to head south a little but didnt help.

Than there is altitude and weight. Your plane may not be able to fly to the nominated altitude due to weight, which means you must step climb. Work out where you can climb to. fly till you burn off some fuel than climb higher. happens all the time. Could take 2 or 3 climbs to reach final altitude.

Thats teh basics