Sign in to follow this  
flynman33

Looking at Graphic Card need help

If you look at my specs tag at the bottom of this post you will see I have a NVidia GT430 graphics card.

When I run FS10 it is 60% smooth and 40% jerky to slideshow.

If I were to upgrade to a GTX 730/740 card would that signicantly improve my performance with FS10.

I also run some 3rd party scenery and panels.

Thank you for your help.

Randy

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080 FTW GPU

It's an improvement, but not by much. You can get a 750 Ti for around $100. You'll see much better performance with something like that.

The question here is, sorry to say, how much your FSX setup will benefit from any faster graphics card, as your Phenom II is definitely the more limiting factor for FSX... I doubt that using a 750Ti would provide as much as possible, as this already quiet old CPU is really not suitable for FSX. Just as an example: my i7-3770K running at 4.5GHz is still the limiting factor on my rig regarding FSX, so just imagine how limiting a Phenom II with 3.2GHz must be...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

A couple of things I found out with CPUs ...

More is not necessarily better when it comes to cores.  Everything I've seen seems to point to FS9 and FSX being VERY happy with 3 cores.  Even two cores is sometimes better (if they are fast enough) than the equivalent quad core.  Naturally, this applies only to FS9 and FSX (I haven't checked this with P3D v1.4, and no computer I own will run later versions of P3D so testing that is out until I hit the lottery, lol).

If you like to fly online, it might be worthwhile to download FSCopilot and FSInn.  There's a little utility that comes with it that allows you to designate how the simulator works with multicore processors (and multiple processors, if applicable).  It helps with my AMD quad core, smooths things out a bit and eliminated a few issues with frequent "Not Responding" messages, which can lead to CTDT if you click when the sim is doing that.

Just a thought.

Do your frame rates improve if you turn off anti-aliasing and/or run at a lower screen resolution?

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Hello,

Would you please recommend a graphic card for FS9? My system is running on a Dual-Cοre 3.20GHz, RAM 2 GB, Windows 7. The 2GB memory chip will be replaced by a 4GB chip (max for my system).

Yannis

Your FS9 should work fine with almost every modern graphics card. I would still suggest a nvidia product to avoid troubles. A 750Ti might be a good choice for your Dual-Core setup, or even a 750 should do the job. What card do you have currently in your system?

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Your FS9 should work fine with almost every modern graphics card. I would still suggest a nvidia product to avoid troubles. A 750Ti might be a good choice for your Dual-Core setup, or even a 750 should do the job. What card do you have currently in your system?

None, I use the mother board's Intel Graphics Media Accelerator driver. I would like to thank you also for your reply.

None, I use the mother board's Intel Graphics Media Accelerator driver. I would like to thank you also for your reply.

You will definitely need to ditch the intel integrated graphics, unless you want to run a very stripped down simulation.  Having an actual graphics card will greatly improve your experience.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Shameless plug follows.....

For those who may be in need of a graphics card upgrade and don't want to break the bank doing so, I just happen to have one for sale (EVGA GTX 780Ti) over in the classified section.

Michael

You will definitely need to ditch the intel integrated graphics, unless you want to run a very stripped down simulation.  Having an actual graphics card will greatly improve your experience.

-Jim

You are right is going to improve a lot!!!