Sign in to follow this  
JYW

P3D3 - some basic nVidia advice?

For basic decent AA we still need the Transparency Sparse Grid Supersampling setting in NI.

Set P3D to 4xMSAA, then make a default profile with NVidia Control Panel (CP) by selecting the P3D profile and press Restore and Apply buttons. Now create a new profile by making any change you like in the CP window, say set 4xTSSAA, Apply. Close the CP.

Take care to start with a fresh profile especially after driver updates.

Run NVidia inspector (NI). Choose the P3D profile, Leave all AA settings at default apart from: Set "Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling" = "4x Sparse Grid Supersampling" matching the 4xMSAA set in P3D. Set "Antialiasing - Mode" = "Override any application setting". In my tests here override is the faster and smoother performance by maybe as much as 5%.

This is exactly what I stumbled into about a week ago. Locked at 30 fps, I have found results wonderfully enjoyable. Average frames are 29.9

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

For basic decent AA we still need the Transparency Sparse Grid Supersampling setting in NI.

Thanks Steve!

Your little section on what and how to set made a world of difference on my system. Finally the AA in P3Dv3 is closing in on FSX.

Set P3D to 4xMSAA, then make a default profile with NVidia Control Panel (CP) by selecting the P3D profile and press Restore and Apply buttons. Now create a new profile by making any change you like in the CP window, say set 4xTSSAA, Apply. Close the CP.

Take care to start with a fresh profile especially after driver updates.

Run NVidia inspector (NI). Choose the P3D profile, Leave all AA settings at default apart from: Set "Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling" = "4x Sparse Grid Supersampling" matching the 4xMSAA set in P3D. Set "Antialiasing - Mode" = "Override any application setting". In my tests here override is the faster and smoother performance by maybe as much as 5%.

Thanks Steve, it works like a charm!

The only problem I have with MSAA in P3D3 is with bad weather/snow. With default ASN options, flying over Greenland (so nothing really happening outside), I'm experiencing frame rates in the twenties with snow and overcast, unless I turn MSAA off. This is with or without the changes in NI (with the changes it gets slightly better, in fact).

I have a good system, GPU is a 970, processor i7 4790, and usually fly with frame rates above 60 inside the plane and well above 100 outside.

I was using PrecipitFX (default snow is awful...). It gets better without it, but not much: still around 30.

Everything else is default P3D3 (clouds, etc.). Cloud coverage at medium, but I can crank it up without loosing much. The real "game changer" is turning MSAA off: FPS goes from around 25 to above 70 again!

Am I missing something?

• Upvote 1