Sign in to follow this  
BoeingNut76

PMDG Product download sloooooow...

Hi fellow virtual aviators!

Is it normal, that the DL from PMDG is so dead slow?! It says I need 8 more hours for the PMDG 737NGX Base Pack!? I checked my line... it's all smooth and well. Has anyone a similiar experience? It's really driving me nuts. I had to re-buy the P3D version as I just quit FSX... now it will take the better part of the night to download that stuff. I'd expect a bit more bandwidth for paying customers... *sigh*

Peter

PMDG doesn't discriminate when it comes to downloads so paying customer or not, you get what you get.  BTW, how are you downloading your product, through a browser or download manager.  I have found that download managers squeeze out a little more bandwidth, not to mention that you get a more stable file when complete.  I learned that lesson pretty quick when downloading updates through FSS.  Chrome would error out all the time or I would get corrupt downloads.

Time of day is a factor of course, so maybe setting your downloads aside until the evening will help...just a suggestion.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

PMDG uses something along the lines of the Google cloud, not their own servers, for the downloads.

Your download speed has too many factors to list here, but inlcude you local ISP, the regional carrier and anything can cause slower transmissions. However, I seriously doubt that your speeds are due to anything that PMDG has control over.

The need to download larger an larger objects (P3D 10Gb) motivated me to get a download manager, which allows scheduling of downloads and restarting if anything interrupts the flow. I personally like the Internet Download Manager for a number of reasons but there are others out there. It also opens 8 ports and downloads measureably faster than most browsers.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'd expect a bit more bandwidth for paying customers... *sigh*

Our products are distributed via the fastest product delivery available worldwide: Amazon AWS. If your connection is slow between yourself and their local server, then you'll see slow download speeds. I believe they have two in Germany alone, so you might want to do a little troubleshooting on your end, honestly.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Well... right now I'm downloading with about 40 kb/s. Plus it's not the first time, that the D/L with PMDG is slow. But yes, maybe you are right... maybe it's simply bad luck and along the way the data-highway has there's a snail-lane for my data-packages... I will hone my patience-skills... just over 6 hours left. I guess I will stay grounded for now ;)

Hi guys,

I have been doing my own tests here. I too use the Amazon S3 storage to store files. Downloading the PSX 777 Base Package today I was getting 16Kb/s; using a download accelerator I was getting 374Kb/s. Now with a 500Mb file on my AWS account (located in Ireland, I live in the UK) I was getting 3Mb/s, and with a download accelerator 7Mb/s. I use the Amazon cloud functionality so it appears on multiple servers around the globe. But it appears PMDG only use a server based in the US (from what I can see). They do not use the Amazon cloud functionality. If they do something is going wrong somewhere for the guys across the pond!

Regards

Craig

But it appears PMDG only use a server based in the US (from what I can see).

If that were the case, release days would be a lot more miserable than what people usually see.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Craig,

I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said something along the lines of, "It is better the remain silent and have people think you are a fool than to speak and confirm it for them."

or words to that effect.

You haven't a clue what we have running behind the scenes, so please do not spread information that is not factual.

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Oh i don't know at all.    My download speed is 15 mbs down, (not fast in today's standards)  when i'm downloading off the PMDG site its downloading at 1.5/1.3 MB/s down,  meaning i'm getting my full 15 download speed, basically means i can download the 777 in about 12 minutes,  its always been the same  :smile:

I have a problem with several download managers.

If I download the file directly, it will start with the chrome default download window and will inevitably end in a download error (in southern Argentina speed is 120kb/s at most!!!).

So I always try to use a download manager to avoid this kind of errors. Thing is that no download manager will recognize the download link (I've even tried with URL routing).

In the past I could do it with any manager in PMDG's files, but not this time around.

Any magnanimous soul in mood to help? I really appreciate it!

Santiago de Larminat

You haven't a clue what we have running behind the scenes, so please do not spread information that is not factual.

Let's not debate about that... let's try and work out why the download speeds are slow... (they still are for me).  :smile:

Let's not debate about that... let's try and work out why the download speeds are slow... (they still are for me).  :smile:

Then your first place to look would be between you and whatever Amazon server is in your area.

Kyle Rodgers

Speedtest can be your friend:  http://www.speedtest.net/

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit