Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMoser

A Frame-Time Analysis of P3D v3 -- Effects of CPU Affinity, Frame Lock, and HT

As soon as I set an AM, on matter which value, I get blurry textures and slow loading in P3D. (6700K @ 4.5 GHz, HT on)

No matter if I set it in p3d.cfg or on ProcessLasso.

No idea why...

Same here.....so I have removed AM and no problems now. AM negatively affects my texture loading...4 core HT on..

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

On my 4790k HT on , am85 and FTTF@0.01 give me a good balance between load Time and vas

Sometimes in heavy airport like FT eham i can see some blurry

Frédéric Giraud

Four core non HT use:

1111=no AM (can use 0 or 15)

Steve, I'm sure you've seen this site: http://www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk/affinitymask.aspx?SubMenuItem=hardware

My question is this, if I use the first calculator and select 4 cores, it says use an AM=14. If I use the one below that under expert and select cores 0 thru 3 (4 cores) it says use an AM=15. I don't get it? What is the difference? I am assuming I have a 4 core because when going into task manager, right clicking and selecting Affinitymask it gives me choices of cores 0 thru 3.

Eric 

Of course, that's the Gatwick FS Group Affinity Mask calculator.

Quite simple. An AM=0 on the four core (no HT) would be 0000 if it was simply a number, but that would mean no cores enabled, would be useless. Instead AM=0 is interpreted as all cores enabled so is the same as 1111 on the four core.

So we have AM=0 on different CPUs gives:

4 core AM=15=1111

6 core AM=63=111111

8 core AM=255=11111111

...and so on.

If you use AM=15 your sim works the same as if it has no AM setting.

if you use an AM=14=1110 (type it into the Windows Calculator Programmer mode):

On the far right is core zero (1110) and there's a zero in that place means core zero is masked so don't let the sim use that. In Task Manager it would be shown on the left in the graphs. This is OK if we want to leave a core free for other processes, for example a weather engine might spring into life every 30 minutes work out the weather in a burst of high activity then inject the data into the sim. If we let the sim use core zero and also the weather engine we get core zero interrupted by the other process. Don't be fooled by thinking the process only shows 6% CPU use, it's still going to interrupt the flow of the sim. Even so we cant stop processes using the three cores the sim is running on. Instead we can use no AM=1111 to use all cores for the sim. With our weather addon we could allocate the last two cores (1100) for it and these are used by the sim to compute background tasks that take seconds to complete, they don't interfere with the FPS. They can't put all that on the calculator.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Of course, that's the Gatwick FS Group Affinity Mask calculator.Quite simple. An AM=0 on the four core (no HT) would be 0000 if it was simply a number, but that would mean no cores enabled, would be useless. Instead AM=0 is interpreted as all cores enabled so is the same as 1111 on the four core.So we have AM=0 on different CPUs gives:4 core AM=15=11116 core AM=63=1111118 core AM=255=11111111...and so on.If you use AM=15 your sim works the same as if it has no AM setting.if you use an AM=14=1110 (type it into the Windows Calculator Programmer mode):On the far right is core zero (1110) and there's a zero in that place means core zero is masked so don't let the sim use that. In Task Manager it would be shown on the left in the graphs. This is OK if we want to leave a core free for other processes, for example a weather engine might spring into life every 30 minutes work out the weather in a burst of high activity then inject the data into the sim. If we let the sim use core zero and also the weather engine we get core zero interrupted by the other process. Don't be fooled by thinking the process only shows 6% CPU use, it's still going to interrupt the flow of the sim. Even so we cant stop processes using the three cores the sim is running on. Instead we can use no AM=1111 to use all cores for the sim. With our weather addon we could allocate the last two cores (1100) for it and these are used by the sim to compute background tasks that take seconds to complete, they don't interfere with the FPS. They can't put all that on the calculator.

Ahhh, very well explained. Thank you for that. So I was starting all my ancillary stuff; wx engine, vpilot, track ir and my VA's ACARs before starting P3D and was going in to each one via the task manager and deselecting core 0 from them thus allowing P3D to have it. Based on your above, should I also be deselecting core 1 as well and just giving those programs core 2 and 3?

Eric 

Hi Eric, yes a rule of thumb is to give simconnect type addons two logical processors minimum. Networking processes can be held up with only one LP. Yes leave core 1 free as well allowing these addons to use 2 and 3.

You might be able to improve TIR with that on 1 and 3 if it's not performing, it should be OK on 2 and 3. Generally 2 and 3 will be loading scenery, 0 will be rendering and 1 will be coordinating - that's got the least use during running but still needs a clear path.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Apologies to resurrect an old thread.

Does anyone have a recommendation for

P3D V4 on Win 10 64 bit, i7 7700k @5Ghz, with HT ON.

What would be the optimal AF ?. And related settings incl FFTF, etc.

Thanks So much, just finished building my new rig and have installed the sim and addons.

Also any nvidia inspector setting.

27 minutes ago, ozflyer said:

Apologies to resurrect an old thread.

Does anyone have a recommendation for

P3D V4 on Win 10 64 bit, i7 7700k @5Ghz, with HT ON.

What would be the optimal AF ?. And related settings incl FFTF, etc.

Thanks So much, just finished building my new rig and have installed the sim and addons.

Also any nvidia inspector setting.

I would start with no AF then go through these and see if there is any difference: 116, 85, 252 and 254.

(7700K @ 5 Ghz... nice :))

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I use HT off and no AM and find that is best for me.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi, guys can you please help  I was suffering stutters and low fps on my rig,

Win 7 Pro

i7 3770k @4.4ghz,

Gtx 980ti 6gb,

16gb Ram DDR3,

When I  applied AM=116 tweak I've just managed to complete my first flight without a crash in Fslabs A320 P3dV4.1 and at least reasonable frames. 

Task manager affinity

P3dV4.1 = core 2,4,5,6

AS16 = core 0,1,3,7

Chaseplane= core 0,1,3,7 

TrackIR= core 0,1,3,7 Priority (High)

The only issue I came across was sound stutters not sure where it came from but sim wise and performance I had no stutters at all.

Question: I'm also not sure whether to continue using AM=116 or AM=84 with respect to my CPU i7 3770k, I have always had HT=On even without  AM Tweak?

The only other tweak I added was FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01 but none the less I have seen a huge improvement.

Lloyd

You are asking an impossible question. TRY different settings and see which works best ON YOUR SYSTEM.

I also suggest you read this thread you posted in and you'll find many suggestions to try.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

On 1/17/2017 at 6:33 PM, SteveW said:

Generally 2 and 3 will be loading scenery, 0 will be rendering and 1 will be coordinating - that's got the least use during running but still needs a clear path.

What is "a clear path" and why does 1 still need a clear path?

Thanks,