Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Farhadi

Recommendations for my next build ...

Hi guys,
Just as many other i started to research about my new build for P3D and after about a month of reading i decided this list is my best bang for the budget i'm gonna put into this build and i'd very happy to know about : How's this gonna perform in P3D with all of that widely used professional addons like PMDG,ORBX,ASN and so on.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MRFarhadi/saved/#view=CVChP6

CPU: Intel i7 6700k (hopefully* overclockable to about 4.8)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
MOBO: Asus Z170-A
RAM: Kingstone HyperX Fury 16GB(4x4) DDR4-2666
Storage: Samsung SM951 NVMe M.2 SSD 512GB
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Windforce X3
Chassis: Fractal Define S

PSU: Corsair AX860i
Monitor: Asus PB258Q

Will be happy to see you opinions and corrections to this list

p.s. I'm not in a rush and may wait for new parts to be released,ready to see your comments about "Wait for that coming ..." for better performance

Captain Hamzeh Farhadi

A320 TRI/TRE at Iran Air

Make sure the Samsung SM951 NVMe M.2 SSD 512GB is bootable on the Z170-A. Knowing Asus it probably is, but do check.

To be honest the introduction of M.2 has been shambolic, with some boards not bootable, A, B, M, and E keys. Some drives SATA so no faster, some drives PCIe...

Don't forget the new GSkill Ripjaw V's and Trident Z's are now available, specially deigned for Skylake.

Air or cloased loop cooling is a personal choice. I'm an old school large tower cooler guy, Noctua NH-D15S to be precise.

There is a U.2 adapter with the Z170-A don't forget, so if you can afford it you could go for the Intel 750 and enjoy phenomenal speeds. Or the PCIe variant of course.

I've had no experience of Gigabyte cards, I usually go for EVGA. Had a great experience with them.

The monitor is 1440p but only 25 inches, so make sure text size will be readable.

Make sure the Samsung SM951 NVMe M.2 SSD 512GB is bootable on the Z170-A. Knowing Asus it probably is, but do check.

To be honest the introduction of M.2 has been shambolic, with some boards not bootable, A, B, M, and E keys. Some drives SATA so no faster, some drives PCIe...

Don't forget the new GSkill Ripjaw V's and Trident Z's are now available, specially deigned for Skylake.

Air or cloased loop cooling is a personal choice. I'm an old school large tower cooler guy, Noctua NH-D15S to be precise.

There is a U.2 adapter with the Z170-A don't forget, so if you can afford it you could go for the Intel 750 and enjoy phenomenal speeds. Or the PCIe variant of course.

I've had no experience of Gigabyte cards, I usually go for EVGA. Had a great experience with them.

The monitor is 1440p but only 25 inches, so make sure text size will be readable.

Thanks Martin for your fast reply!

As far as i'v seen on Asus videos and Z170-A documents,they're bootable if you go to UEFI and just play with few settings and seems in the hands of the reviewers it just works fine with Z170-A considering settings that should be made in the UEFI before installing windows on it.

As you stated,i'd definitely consider GSkill Ripjaw V and the Trident Z also.

For the intel 750 series , i unfortunately don't afford for that . i mean i can but with just a little performance gain above M.2 , i'd may use the extra budget for Monitor or 980Ti.

and for the Gigabyte,as reviews has showed,gigabyte windforce is the best 970 so far.

I Also wanted to know your opinion about "Asus GTX980Ti STRIX DC3-OC" ; is that worth of extra 300$ over giga970 for Simulation use only?(i'm just gonna use it for P3D V3 and further(V4-5-... when come out),no gaming intention at all)

For the monitor,i intend to use 1440p for the RIG but this was the fastest and best bang for the buck product i've found so far. I'd be very happy to see your recommendation about other montors(Maybe even 4K with the 980Ti or just stick to 1440p with gigabyte 970)

Captain Hamzeh Farhadi

A320 TRI/TRE at Iran Air

Also wanted to know your opinion about "Asus GTX980Ti STRIX DC3-OC" ; is that worth of extra 300$ over giga970 for Simulation use only?(i'm just gonna use it for P3D V3 and further(V4-5-... when come out),no gaming intention at all)

To be honest, I haven't don't much simming in a while, hoping to get back into it when I build my new rig in a few weeks. As for P3D V3, no experience, but will be adopting it after I build.

Traditionally FSX was always CPU bound, however, it seems to me that these days, given we're using higher resolutions, AA settings, plus add-on's that are more graphically demanding, that the GPU is more important than it was. Add the fact that P3D V3 utilises the graphics cards capabilities more and the GPU is even more of a consideration.

I cant say much more than that, as I say, no experience of P3D, the experts might disagree with me.

I've always been a fan of Asus products and the Asus GTX980Ti STRIX DC3-OC looks like a great card. Certainly I'd say you'd see a difference between a GTX 970 and a 980ti, how much, I'm not sure. Someone that's made the upgrade would need to tell you.

For the monitor,i intend to use 1440p for the RIG but this was the fastest and best bang for the buck product i've found so far. I'd be very happy to see your recommendation about other montors(Maybe even 4K with the 980Ti or just stick to 1440p with gigabyte 970)

This is something I'm still to decide on. For now, I'm thinking 1440p and a 27 inch screen. Lots to consider, IPS, G-Sync etc.

I looked at that Fractal Define S chasis, but it did not match my needs as well as the Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5. I still wanted front panel accessible drives. I routinely clone my drives and verify the clones will boot as my secure backup routine.  I still have a DVD/RW drive in one front accessible bay and in the other I have a StarTech Dual Bay 5.25-Inch Trayless Hot Swap that lets me slip in a 3.5-inch SATA HDD and a 2.5-inch SATA SSD without having to open the case or mess with cables. Very convenient!

I was able to top mount a Corsair H100i Cooler (H110i would not quite fit with it's included fans). I deemed the Mastercase Pro 5 had better filtration, but not by much, and the internal drive trays (2.5"), racks, and mounts offered much greater flexibility.  I have my primary 512GB SSD in a built-in tray on the plane above the power supply bay. I have a 250GB SSD (for data) mounted on the cable management side in another provided mounting tray. My 2TB HDD with photoreal scenery is mounted in the front of the power supply bay, thus leaving the primary case space totally open to ventilation. I do not have the internal drive rack installed, so there is no restriction on airflow through two front mounted H.E.C. Cougar 140mm fans.  

My current processor is the Intel I7-4790 4 Ghz OC to 4.40. Also running a GTX 970 4GB.  With the cooler and the airflow from this case the system runs very cool. Greatly pleased.

I went with the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 ATX MB as it provide the array of rear panel connections that met my needs.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I looked at that Fractal Define S chasis, but it did not match my needs as well as the Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5. I still wanted front panel accessible drives. I routinely clone my drives and verify the clones will boot as my secure backup routine.  I still have a DVD/RW drive in one front accessible bay and in the other I have a StarTech Dual Bay 5.25-Inch Trayless Hot Swap that lets me slip in a 3.5-inch SATA HDD and a 2.5-inch SATA SSD without having to open the case or mess with cables. Very convenient!

I was able to top mount a Corsair H100i Cooler (H110i would not quite fit with it's included fans). I deemed the Mastercase Pro 5 had better filtration, but not by much, and the internal drive trays (2.5"), racks, and mounts offered much greater flexibility.  I have my primary 512GB SSD in a built-in tray on the plane above the power supply bay. I have a 250GB SSD (for data) mounted on the cable management side in another provided mounting tray. My 2TB HDD with photoreal scenery is mounted in the front of the power supply bay, thus leaving the primary case space totally open to ventilation. I do not have the internal drive rack installed, so there is no restriction on airflow through two front mounted H.E.C. Cougar 140mm fans.  

My current processor is the Intel I7-4790 4 Ghz OC to 4.40. Also running a GTX 970 4GB.  With the cooler and the airflow from this case the system runs very cool. Greatly pleased.

I went with the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 ATX MB as it provide the array of rear panel connections that met my needs.

With your CPU and graphics card,i think we've got a pretty much alike list and rig.

May i ask for some FPS numbers if you have complex addons like PMDG with your simulator (either if you use FSX or P3D) at complex airports? that would be a lot of help to me,cinsidering whether GTX970 works for me or not.

I also had a look over Mastercase 5 Pro , but that had a ton of features that i don't use and had to pay for.

another question : as you have your photoreal sceneries on your HDD,except for longer times been taken for loading it , do you have stutters regarding ground textures?

Captain Hamzeh Farhadi

A320 TRI/TRE at Iran Air

With your CPU and graphics card,i think we've got a pretty much alike list and rig. May i ask for some FPS numbers if you have complex addons like PMDG with your simulator (either if you use FSX or P3D) at complex airports? that would be a lot of help to me,cinsidering whether GTX970 works for me or not.

I have hi def airports for most major USA airports. Each is loaded over MegaScenery 2 USA state scenery and MegaScenery Ultra Res City scenery. Ex around NYC I have NY and NJ MegaScenery 2 states loaded under MegaScenery Ultra Res NYC, with Blueprint's KJFK, and hi res 3rd party KLGA and KEWR on top of that. My previous system was an i7 2600 3.40 processor, 4 GB DDR5, and a 2 GB EVGA GTX560TI video card. 

With the new system I am getting frame rates mostly in the low to mid 20 range, with occasional drops to 18 FPS. Smooth at all times. I have frames locked at 30.  With my previous system in that same environment the best I could manage at any spot was in the high teens, mostly lower teens though, with occasional drops to around 8 FPS.  Numbers way better, but the real difference is smoothness.

I do not fly any PMDG models. I fly mostly Carenado, MilViz, and RealAir twins, all with either RXP GNS 430/530 (often both) or F1 GTN 750 installed and in use.  I also fly with GTX, UTX, UltraTraffic 2, and live FS Global Real Weather with REX textures. I don't even notice my weather update.

In and around Indianapolis I get mid 20 FPS at worst and usually 30 FPS with MegaScenery Indiana, Megascenery Ultra Res Indianapolis, and Blueprint KIND loaded.  Very smooth.

another question : as you have your photoreal sceneries on your HDD,except for longer times been taken for loading it , do you have stutters regarding ground textures?

I was concerned about this, but my hi res scenery HDD 2TB drive is about 80% full and a 2TB SSD is just out of reach. But after getting everything configured I do not notice any loading lags.  The 2TB has MegaScenery States and Ultra Res Cities. My addon airports are on my primary SSD along with FSX.

Hope this helps.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere