Sign in to follow this  
egnt

Help Me! My FS9 is not working!

I need a bit of help here! Recently, my FS9 is refusing to start. Whenever I try to start it, it comes up as "Microsoft Flight Simulator 9.0 has stopped working." Despite uninstalling all of the programs I have recently installed. The error message still comes up. I have reinstalled FS9 twice; and the problem is still there. I'd appreciate any help that you can give me, as I am now bored without it!

• Upvote 1

Thanks A32xx, I looked at the thread and attempted to install the update and have done so successfully, however my FS9 is still not working!

• Upvote 1

I assume you use windows 7, you don't actually say !

If so, a recent microsoft update has caused your problem. There are threads about it on here where you can find details. You will need to uninstall the update,  and set your windows update to hide the update or it will happen again.

Peter Schluter

Try backing up then deleting your "fs9.cfg" in your "C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9" folder. Then start FS9. It will regenerate a new fs9.cfg file for you. This is just in-case your .cfg file became corrupted.

In reply to PebbleBeach and Ops Normal, I have tried your soloutions but they have not worked. As for pschlute, I am yet to try your soloution, (yes I do have Windows 7, should've said that before!) as I have looked into my latest updates and the last update was performed in May 2015; whereas my FS9 has stopped working on the 24th of October. Would you be as kind to give me a link to one of these threads?

Thank you for the link, however in my updates log I can't seem to find it, so I can't uninstall it. I have looked at several forum threads across the web but can't find anything! Any other ideas?

Oh, I also forgot to mention in my original post. A few days before this occured, I had a problem with my modules folder, could that be a cause?

Thank you for the link, however in my updates log I can't seem to find it, so I can't uninstall it.

Then you need to look harder. Unless you have disabled automatic updates, or uninstalled it previously, it will be there.

Control Panel

Programs and Features

Select "view installed updates"

Uninstall it.

You will need to be happy with the security implications of this, which is why you need to look at the recent threads on here and decide which option is best for you.

I have looked at several forum threads across the web but can't find anything! Any other ideas?

Untill you have dealt with this microsoft update problem, no.

Peter Schluter

Peter,

I wouldn't think it would be the Microsoft update problem. From everything I've read in all cases you get an admin error, not the FS has stopped working error.

egnt,

I would suggest uninstalling FS9. Once you have done this, check where your FS9 folder was and make sure there is nothing left behind the uninstaller didn't get rid of. If there are still files, delete them. Then do a fresh install and see if it works. If you had a bad addon file FS9 might've left it behind after your other uninstalls. When you reinstalled again, the file was still there so you encountered the same error.

Mark Daniels

Skywatcher

You may well be correct that the main cause was something else. But if he has the microsoft update on his computer, and uses Disc4 to start the program, then he wont get the program to start even with a clean install.

Peter Schluter

What does it show in the event viewer logs? (eventvrw.exe)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Skywatcher

You may well be correct that the main cause was something else. But if he has the microsoft update on his computer, and uses Disc4 to start the program, then he wont get the program to start even with a clean install.

No but he'll be back with the admin error and this would be an easy fix. It would also most likely mean the other issue is gone. He mentioned modules issues and I'm quite sure FS will leave behind module files on an uninstall.

He said he already uninstalled the game so obviously doesn't have a million addons so best and most efficient way is to make sure the FS installation is actually clean and work from there if any issues continue I think.

Mark Daniels

pschlute, I have looked everywhere and I can't find the update anywhere. I assume that I haven't installed it.

Thank you, Skywatcher. I tried your soloution and there were a few files left behind. However, on a clean new install it still doesn't work!

And Jude Bradley, I don't understand what you are saying. Do I need to view the exe?