Sign in to follow this  
jimmy64

SSD or HDD?

Hey ya'll. Still sitting on 2.5 since I upgraded from 2.4 only about 2 months ago and have it running well. The lure of the new iteration is becoming too much to ignore so perhaps within a few weeks I'll be aboard. LM's strong recommendation is to install on an SSD. Not wanting a new operating system I was thinking about  smaller, 125 or so, drive that would not house the operating system and creating a folder for P3D. That would place it outside of Program Files (X86). I've read about complications with A2A aircraft when P3D is outside of Program Files, current A2A forum topic, and their fix is for P3D to go back to that folder. So, should I just put P3D on my HDD, like my 2.5 install in Program Files, or go with the SSD and risk complications with my A2A planes. Right now a bigger SSD drive and new OS install is not an option.

James McLees

Well I'm clearly only a sample of one, but I've got the whole A2A GA fleet on a non-OS SSD and I've seen no problems in either 2.5 or 3.0, so I would expect it to be ok, and the quicker loading times are very welcome, so I'd go for it.

On sizing, even if you don't want the OS on it right now, I'd still get the largest SSD you can as it will make sure you don't have to buy again when time comes to have a fresh OS install. 128 will comfortably store a moderate size P3D install (though some installations are much larger) , or a moderate Windows / work type program install, but not both, and you will notice way more day to day benefit from having the OS on an SSD than having P3D there, unless it's a dedicated sim machine.

My setup is a 128 SSD for the OS, two 250 SSD in RAID 0 for sim plus other performance sensitive applications, and a 1TB HDD for medium term storage, works pretty well, though my next move is probably to switch the OS drive for a 250 as it does get close at times.

I've been using SSD's only for a few years now. I have never ever installed P3D (or FSX before that) inside the default Programs Files folder nor on the C drive and I never ever had problems with it, not even with A2A planes. The only time I did get problems was when I installed TrackIR into that default folder! If I have the choice I never install anything there.

I would also suggest to get a larger SSD: at least 250 but 500 would be even better. You can always use the extra space for other programs or you could even put Windows and P3D on it together: Windows also benefits from an SSD.

BTW Don't expect better performance during flying: only the initial loading times will improve. And you will never have to defrag the drive (in fact, that is a no go!). With SSD's everything just feels fresh and snappy and quick all the time: they don't get sluggish over time like HHD's can. They also don't have to spool up and make no noise and give less heat. I love my SSD's. ;)

SSD's for me, with a TB HDD as backup and repository. In addition to less noise and almost no heat, one of the greatest advantages of the SSD is a smaller footprint inside the case, meaning you can optimise airflow over the GPU and CPU - I added another fan in the space saved. A stacked SSD setup takes up less space than a single HD, and a lot less power.

In order of priority use of SSD should be as follows:

1: OS - by FAR the best use of the SSD is to put Windows on it.

2: P3D - basic installation - just the default

Then, as the SSD clogs with addons you can make symbolic links and have folders moved outside the SSD to the HDD - although HD access is slower, there is still an element of parallel processing - its a good place to store a larger hangar of aircraft, or scenery, for example. The ORBX folder, which insists on residing within the main sim folder, is moved off that way.

You can even, thanks to the file structure of P3D v3, create optimised installations with different setups using an `offsite` simobjects definition, or clever use of the `folder read priority` system. You will need to read up on that in the Learning Center.

Finally, once you have installed your barebones P3D and run it once, take a full copy of it to the HDD.

SSD's for me, with a TB HDD as backup and repository. In addition to less noise and almost no heat, one of the greatest advantages of the SSD is a smaller footprint inside the case, meaning you can optimise airflow over the GPU and CPU - I added another fan in the space saved. A stacked SSD setup takes up less space than a single HD, and a lot less power.

I agree have 3x SSD 250Gb and one TB HD for repository and a cloud server for backup.

André

"I've read about complications with A2A aircraft when P3D is outside of Program Files, current A2A forum topic, and their fix is for P3D to go back to that folder."

That is an odd statement A2A would make.  I have always had flight sims running out of their own folder, in fact, another drive entirely, whether it be HDD or SSD.  I have A2A aircraft installed on my SSD, dedicated to P3D and have zero issues.  Not sure what they are talking about "complications".

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

As long as all the internal paths to assets and other stuff are handled i dont see any other reason why it should be a problem..if the paths are hardcoded inside and spewed across multiple places then it could take some time and effort but still doable

I have it like this:

- P3D and some Addons on my 128 GB M.2 SSD (way faster than a "normal" SATA SSD, I get around 2 GB/s reading and 1 GB/s writing)

- Other addons like MyTraffic, REX Overdrive etc. on second "normal" SSD.

Works like a charm, but i do not have any A2A planes. Have not installed anything in the standard "Program Files" folders.

I would ALWAYS go for the SSD, and you should really consider to move the OS there. SSD is a HUGE boost compared to HDD in overall performance.

Just bought a 250gig M.2 drive for Prepar3D and love it. Very fast load times. Go for it!

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Jim the complications arise when updating an aircraft. They do offer a manual update as a fix. Looking at the advice I will most likely get a 250 gig and put Windows 10 and V3 on it. Everything else can go on the TB WD HDD.

James McLees