Sign in to follow this  
JDWalley

50% framerate DROP with DX10?

Yes, DX10 brings fuss and bother, but DX9 with only a little less performance, just works.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Well, after setting things up with NI using the guide's recommendations, with no VSync and unlimited frames, I try the C172-at-Page scenario and…holy #*^%! Around 200 FPS!!!

Of course, that's at Page, with nothing else going on. So, I move to KSEA under Orbx PNW scenery, with MyTraffic 6, GSX, and Rex4 textures. In that near-worst-case scenario, framerate is way down, but still in the high 30s to low 40s; very impressive for that locale. So, of course, I take it from near-worst-case to absolute worst-case, and swap the default C172 with the NGX, and throw ActiveSky Next weather into the mix. I don't see any FPS lower than the mid-20s, increasing into the 30s on takeoff. As that's actually a few ticks higher than I was getting under DX9, and with a lot more VAS headroom, I'm quite happy.

My only question has to do with fixing framerate. What should I use to set it? The minimum with my fully-loaded NGX scenario (which would result in an absurdly-low limit), or the higher rates I was seeing in a more "stock" scenario? Or should I just forget about VSync and fly unlimited, considering the wide variance between 25 and 200+ frames per second, depending on the presence or absence of every heavy add-on in the book?

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

Problem with Unlimited fps setting comes with panning and as such making turns, or using TrackIR. Each next frame position/physics is all calculated against the current frame rate. Each frame as we pan or during a turn, takes a different time to construct as the scene changes. This speeds up and slows down the panning/turn/TIR and looks bad because the terrain is never in the place it was calculated and going to be in. Also rain and snow looks really bad too. Instead when locked frames are selected, each next frame is based on the same time, so the terrain appears in the place we expect it to be in. Also fuel use and sim time are more accurately determined, but not by much. If you have a high frame rate like 60+, lock at 60fps and reduce pre rendered frames to one. If you have a low refresh rate setting on the monitor you might try using that and locking at that reduced rate.

Thanks -- I now see why unlimited might be problematic. The issue, then, once again becomes what qualifies as the "minimum" framerate? If you base it on the lowest I get in the toughest possible scenario of PMDG/Orbx/AI/GSX/Rex4/ASN in one of the most intensive areas of the FSX world, we're talking around 25 which, by the rule of thumb you mentioned above, would require me to limit frames to 12 (which would be ridiculous for virtually every other situation) and hope there's a "1/5th of refresh rate" setting in NI (I've never thought to check). Or should I go with 20, even though that's more than half the "minimum" in the worst-case scenario? Keep in mind that this is a system which, in a generic area with a generic aircraft, gives me frame rates in the 200s!

James David Walley

Depends where it is you want smoothness most. At an airport I prefer smooth, and at altitude I'm not so bothered. If I can't consistently do the refresh rate of the monitor then I start slow and work up. Why not try 15 and 1/4? Move up to 20 and 1/3, then 30 and 1/2? Going from 20 to 30 requires 1/2 the throughput again on top of 20fps.

According to Adam's guide (linked above), SweetFX works fine with the Fixer.  Obviously, it might not without it.

James David Walley

How much better performance is SE over normal FSX in DX10? 

Ive just migrated and will try

When discussing FPS under DX9 and DX10, it is important to keep in mind that the "Bloom" setting drags the FPS down like hell under DX9, but has no effect under DX10.

I get higher FPS with DX9 especially at overcast conditions when shadows and bloom are deactivated. If enabled, the FPS drops a lot with DX9, and DX10 holds an advantage over DX9 in terms of performance.

Therefore, if users claim that they get much higher FPS with DX10 on, it is quite likely that they have "bloom" enabled.

I used Steve's DX10 fixer and got a nice boost of perhaps 10 to 15 % depending how intense the scenery is.  For example Teterboro facing New York City is more imposing than lesser scenes.  DX10 is beautiful when you get it working right, I know I will not go back.

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K