Sign in to follow this  
roland_lfor

FMS : How to set a 'below' or 'above' target altitude?

Hi,

On some SID/STAR procedures I can see that such target altitude exist.

They are displayed in FPL pages with an up or down arrow prefix, and as far as I know, they are correctly handled by the VNAV autopilot function.

Question is: how can I set one myself to a waypoint from the FPL pages and menus?

Thanks and sorry if it has been already asked.

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

Just click on RIGHT button in FPL page. Then you can set altitude and how many miles before that point you want to be at that altitude.

Well, I'm in front of the FMS now and a little bit lost:

- With RIGHT key I can enter the wished altitude for sure, what about "how many miles before"?

There is no '/' char to separate inputs

Roland

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

Ok, did my homework with the systems description doc.

It seems that before/after WPT distance can be set on VNAV page, 2nd field on the TO line.

Will try tomorrow.

Roland

http://www.airline2sim.com/ 

well worth the puchase

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

"At or above" and "at or below" altitude restrictions cannot be programmed in to the Universal FMS by the user, although they are included with some SID/STAR procedures. This is as per the real aircraft.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

@ckyliu

It seems that you are wrong as the method found in the systems description is effective. I've checked that the VNAV waypoint can be set with a + or - distance value in the field prior to the altitude target, so that sounds good.

I still have to confirm it's correctly understood by the flight director in various conditions, and be sure of the meaning of +/- input selector. Logically speaking a positive value should mean 'after' and negative 'before' the waypoint so we reach the equivalent of below / above.

It's a good think for me to go back in the documentation as I missed several major FMC capabilities. For example I was still flying the ILS intercept in the old fashion, switching from FMC source to HDG, then NAV/ILS source, but FMC can handle the whole thing in a more efficient manner -_-

I had missed also the ILS auto-tune function as well, can you believe it :o

Always a lot to learn on my side :rolleyes: 

Roland

Seriously? You answer a question by promoting another product? Bad form, man.

Yea why not  if  you want  to learn  how to fly  the q400   than this is  product  to get.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I still have to confirm it's correctly understood by the flight director in various conditions, and be sure of the meaning of +/- input selector. Logically speaking a positive value should mean 'after' and negative 'before' the waypoint so we reach the equivalent of below / above.

I confirm this is perfectly working as expected  :smile:

Roland