Sign in to follow this  
SVA1181

Essential Addons for xplane - payware/freeware

Hello,

Today I bought x plane 10 (actually still downloading :) ), after being with Microsoft products since 1998!

Currently I am flying fsx, for which I bought most of available addons, going from airliners (pmdg, majestic, Leonardo and of course aerosoft), a lot of aerosoft sceneries, and some well known other sceneries, ASN, orbx, Rex....and many others.

So, I want to do the same for xplane, therefore, I am kindly asking for your advice regarding the most useful addons for x plane,that add value and immersion to xplane, whether they are weather engines, textures, sceneries (Europe and Middle East) and of course aircrafts (airliners only).

I am planing to buy jar design airbuses 320 and 330. Those are the only ones I know :).

I thank you in advance for your advises.

Best regards,

Steve

too many to list, try a search on AVSIM or try the XPLANE Store and Forums over at the .org :wink:

Hello David,

A Search will take me weeks, not to mention reading reviews and asking for advices again for each product :).

Let me simplify my request. What add-ons are you using ;) .

Thanks again,

Steve

• Upvote 1

I would start with HD  + UHD Mesh from alpilotx.

World2Xplane , either from simheaven or you can generate it on your own.

FlywithLua + RTH for atmospheric + lighting effects.

A lot of freeware from .org. And other payware which you would want.

Don't know about any airliners , but a few are on the way.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I guess you are on windows, so Sky Maxx Pro v3 is obligatory IMO. This one is payware

The following are free:

Highly recommended, but you need adequate RAM (minimum 16GB, welcome in the world of 64 bit :-) ):

High Definition meshes from  http://www.alpilotx.net/

Then if you like slow and low (VFR) install W2XP from Simheaven

Real Terra Haze gives the sky colours and lights a boost, but you must install additionally FlyWithLua. 

=> download first FlyWithLua and drop it in the ./plugins folder

=> then download Real Terra Haze from x-plane.org and drop it in ./plugins/FlyWithLua/scripts.

Not sure about planes, I like it slow, I can recommend the cessna 172 from http://www.airfoillabs.com/ (payware), but it is heavy on the frames.

Thanks a lot guys. Will try them out. Any good weather engine? And can you please recommend some Spanish airports sceneries?

Thanks again,

FS Global Real Weather is now compatible with X-Plane. There are a couple of different plugins that are freeware for weather. The NOAA plugin and also FS Real WX. There is a plugin to use Radar Contact with X-Plane and one in development that will allow ProFlight Emulator to be used with X-Plane.

NAX669.png

Thanks a lot guys. Will try them out. Any good weather engine? And can you please recommend some Spanish airports sceneries?

Thanks again,

Well, the X-Plane default weather is much better than the FSX default weather. Only with the last Updates external weather engines can really work. So the only commercial weather engine that supports X-Plane is FS Global Real Weather.

The ony spanish payware airports, I know are from http://www.dai-media.com/ and they aren't very good.

But as usual you can find decent freeware airports on the org .

FS Global Real Weather is now compatible with X-Plane. There are a couple of different plugins that are freeware for weather. The NOAA plugin and also FS Real WX. There is a plugin to use Radar Contact with X-Plane and one in development that will allow ProFlight Emulator to be used with X-Plane.

Thanks for that news.

I was going to start a new thread because I'm blown away by how far X-Plane 10 has come.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Thanks again,

Hi Steve,

I set up XPlane not long ago as well, as we are starting to produce reviews on the products for that platform.

As has been mentioned before, I would recommend setting up your scenery first. You can download the default scenery/mesh that comes with XPlane or use a third party, but be careful not to use both.

I downloaded the default for South Americaand Middle East as there is no third party available, but for all of Europe, North America, Asia and Australia I am using the excellent HD Meshv3 which is free.

If you have a good enough graphics card and a minimum 8G of RAM (I recommend 16 minimum) then look into the great World2Xplane scenery to go over the top, think of it as an equivalent of FTX Global, it is terrific.

Then you can start looking at airports, I stumbled upon a website for X-Plane Espana users, look it up, they have a lot of stuff for Spain.

Other add ons I recommend are X-Camera, it is like EZDock, you create a camera profile per aircraft. It is donation ware.

Also HeadShake, a free plug in that adds effects of speed, motion and turbulence. It is free.

X-Assign, allows you to set up your controls for every aircraft you have, and you can even have 3 different profiles per aircraft, also free.

For Cloud and Sky textures the wonderful Skymaxx Pro version 3 has been released but there are some functional free alternatives.

Weather engine, there are a few free ones, the first payware one was released a month ago, FS Global Real Weather which also works with FSX and P3D.

All the best

Does FlywithLua + RTH enhance skymaxx pro v3?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

There is even an AI traffic program that is a work in progress called World Traffic. It's kind of labor intensive to get it all working but at least they're working on it.

Here's a few shots out of Brisbane.

a330_1_zpsfhwdnfaj.png

a330_2_zps3lj3jlnd.png

a330_3_zpsguoavzrl.png

• Upvote 1

NAX669.png

Most important step:  get your gamma level correct.  The default is 2.8, way too high and makes everything washed out.  I set mine to 1.3 and the sim looks entirely different, and gorgeous.

Most important step:  get your gamma level correct.  The default is 2.8, way too high and makes everything washed out.  I set mine to 1.3 and the sim looks entirely different, and gorgeous.

1.3?! isn't the default 2.2?