Sign in to follow this  
MrYorkiesWorld

Learning Correct Procedures etc...

Hi everyone,

I hope this is in the correct forum thread, if not please let me know as I was unsure which one to put it into.

Basically I have started using P3D v3 now as my main form of training and education for flying. I mainly use the 737-800 but I'd like to learn the basics of what everything means, and I was wondering if there is any such thing as an "official guide" or way of learning everything I'd need to know?

I can fly the PMDG 737-800 using methods I've followed from YouTube videos and other forums, but I want to find some sort of guide which can help me understand what I'm actually doing when I am just "following" these guides, as I don't fully understand exactly what everything means.

I know a little bit, but I'm still very new to flying and I'd love to one day be able to do everything correctly as they do in the real world. Things such as what radio frequencies I need to use at what point, and how I need to configure the aircraft in the most realistic way possible from cold and dark to landing an everything in between.

I can be a slow learner with some things but I'm determined to achieve my goal and be fully confident with doing everything correctly!

Do you have any useful links or detailed guides I can use to educate myself properly from the ground up?

Cheers!

-Yorkie

Hi, you wil find  solid sources below:

1- Read the PMDG tutorials, they can be found in PMDG folder inside your Flight Sim directory

2- Tutorial 737 NG from Cold and Dark to Shutdown by Tom Risager  http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxmisc&DLID=162360

3- Online training from Angle of Attack  http://www.flyaoamedia.com/pmdg-737-ngx-training/

Enjoy!

How about the FCOM and FCTM that comes with it?? Also you can check out Mike Ray's Boeing 737NG book

Basically I have started using P3D v3 now as my main form of training and education for flying. I mainly use the 737-800 but I'd like to learn the basics of what everything means, and I was wondering if there is any such thing as an "official guide" or way of learning everything I'd need to know?

The way I read this is that you're new to aviation and simming and you started off learning the 737? Is this correct?

If so, you can start off like real world pilots and do your initial flying I single engine planes like a Cessna or Piper and learn the fundamentals of flying, navigating, emergencies, ATC, etc. Then when you have successfully mastered that you can graduate into larger aircraft.

Their are tons of online subjects on basic airman ship or you might even be able to buy some private pilot flight training books on amazon that you can read to start you from square one.

If you have aleady done that type of stuff which is unclear from your original post, then the links above in the other prior post can help.

However, if your goal is to fly in real life, you need to start at the beginning rather than starting off in 737's. Simming is a wonderful way to learn prior to starting the real thing, but if you go about it the wrong way without proper instruction, you can develop a lot of bad habits that will end up costing you more time and money in real life trying to break habits and behaviors you developed from simming.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks very much for that! Yes that's correct - However in the very beginning I flew the Cessna for a while back in FS2004, but since then and since the PMDG 737-800 for FSX and P3D I've really been trying my best to learn bigger and better things. I'm a bit of a slow learner and get easily confused at the moment with all the technical stuff, but I'm slowly learning to grasp things correctly and I've been thinking to go back to the roots and start off in smaller, easier aircraft before moving on and sharpening up my skills properly with the larger ones.

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it!

-Yorkie

Aviation is such a deep subject. I understand the appeal of bigger, faster, more complex planes. From a pilot's perspective though, those bigger planes are more about managing automation vs flying the plane using "stick and rudder" skills. The lowly Cessna 172 seems boring in comparison because it is in fact slooooow and simple...at least on the surface. I promise you, though, that if you get in and learn all about aviation weather, airplane performance, VFR navigation by deduced reckoning/pilotage (skip the GPS!...for now) there will be PLENTY to keep you busy in that slow and simple Cessna 172.

Chris