Sign in to follow this  
stratfordman10

Throttle Quadrant question

I hope that this is the right forum to ask this question.

I currently still use P3d v2.5 and I use the Saitek pro flight yoke and quadrant.

However,I am looking to purchase the Throttlenek 737 throttle quadrant whilst keeping the Pro Flight Yoke.

Currently the Yoke is connected to my throttle quadrant and I am therefore wondering whether I can still keep my Yoke whilst having a different throttle quadrant to replace the Saitek quadrant.

I apologise if the answer is obvious and thank you in anticipation.

Michael

Michael Broom

You would just need to reconfigure your throttle controls. The Saitek yoke and quadrant is a combined USB device, but you can disconnect the Saitek quadrant and just use the yoke. You can connect any other USB throttle quadrant which will just be a separate USB device that you need to configure separately in P3D.

Hi Jaques,

Many thanks for your reply and your time.

Currently my Saitek Yoke is Connected to the Saitek Throttle Quadrant by a pin connection.

On the back of the Yoke there are 3 HDMI ports.

Am I right in saying that all I need to do to retain my yoke is to buy an HDMI lead and then attach it to my PC and then I am good to go apart from re configuring within P3D.

Would appreciate confirmation if this is what I need to do in order to have the Saitek Yoke as a stand alone product.

I apologise again if the answer is obvious.

Kind regards,

MIchael

Michael Broom

You mean Throttletek right? Tek instead of an Nek?

HDMI or USB?  The connections on the yoke are USB. That's what is on my Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Yoke. Unplugging the DIN plugged Saitek Quadrant should be no problem, but one caveat.  The USB hub on the Saitek Yokes are not the best and may not supply adequate power to drive the quadrant you indicate interest in. I would suggest you connect the new quadrant either direct to a USB port on the computer, or to a more reliable powered USB hub. 

I like those Throttletek designs, but I fly twin engine props and turbo props and they do not seem to have a suitable model.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks for your reply.

Yes,I intend to purchase the Throttlenek 737 quadrant and to connect to my PC via a direct USB connection,not linking it to the yoke.

My Saitek Yoke does have USB ports as you said and if I just purchased USB cables and then connected the Yoke to my PC would that be OK.

Your confirmation would be appreciated.

Michael

Michael Broom

I agree  with Frank, I did exactly what you want to.

I plugged my replacement quadrant into the USB port on the Saitek yoke and found that it was constantly dropping out, Plugged it into it's own USB port and has worked perfect since,

Chris.

Christopher Bell.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes,I intend to purchase the Throttlenek 737 quadrant and to connect to my PC via a direct USB connection,not linking it to the yoke.

My Saitek Yoke does have USB ports as you said and if I just purchased USB cables and then connected the Yoke to my PC would that be OK.

Your confirmation would be appreciated.

Michael

Michael,

Not sure what you are asking here. The Saitek yokes have a formed hard-wired USB cable to connect to your computer. You do not need an extra cable to connect the yoke itself. The USB ports on the back of the yoke are there for you to use to connect additional USB devices. But as Chris and I have already responded, those USB connections on the back of the yoke are not very reliable. So neither of us use them.

Yokes hard wired USB cable to the computer.  Your Throttletek quadrant also connected direct to the computer. Recommend just ignoring the USB connections on the back of the yoke.  OK?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

PMFJI but this is a simple matter of just plugging in the new Quadrant to its own USB connector and assigning or reassigning control assignments to suit. 

There should be no need to unplug the existing quadrant - you can find alternative uses for the levers or simply unassign them so they do nothing.

The ONLY reason for needing to remove the existing quadrant is physical - you need the space on the desk or the cockpit. If you dont' then make life easy, just plug your Throttletek unit and and assign from there. If you use the control assignments within the sim itself it will ALWAYS prompt you for duplicate assignments.

But as Chris and I have already responded, those USB connections on the back of the yoke are not very reliable. So neither of us use them.

New revelation.  Last night I found that my new system appears to have resolved some issues I previously referred to in regard to Saitek devices/USB 3.0/and use of the USB hub on the back of the yoke. I have started a new topic in the Hardware Controllers | Joysticks | Drivers forum here on Avsim.

Frank Patton
ASUS