Sign in to follow this  
737ngx99

Awful AA in P3D v3

Hi

I've been struggling with the Anti Aliasing for a very long time in P3D v3. Its very shimmery and the planes looks "liny" and ugly. First i thought it was my 130$ monitor so i bought a QHD 2560x1440p IPS but that didn't solve the problem at all.

Have you guys any suggestions on whats the problem? I currently run a GTX 970 with i7 4790k @4.4Ghz.

Good day

Jacob

Hi,

the usual suggestion is to use Nvidia Inspector and switch Antialiasing to "Enhance the Application Setting"  and "Transparency Supersampling" to 4x "SGSS" (Sparse Grid Supersampling). This should be accompanied by an in-game AA setting of 4x. Just google for details.

This inevitably incurs a framerate loss which may or may not be acceptable, but you have a strong system, thus try it.

I use the same monitor resolution as you, but a GTX 760 and find AA not that bad, although there is certainly room for improvement. 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Michael gave the answer. However, if FPS are an issue (especially in clouds) you could also try 2xSGSS NI and 8 x MSAA ingame.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Try 8xSS in NI and 8x MSAA in game. Read that on P3D forum

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Thanks guys for the help. I will try these methods and let you know how it works!

/Jacob

Bad news.

Can't see any difference between using NI and not. Im starting to wonder if its my GTX 970 thats the problem. 

I believe the screenshot above is incorrect. You need to set antialiasing mode to "enhance the application setting" and antialiasing transparency supersampling to 4x sparse grid super sampling.

In P3D you must set MSAA to match the 4x or 8x you put in NI. So in this case I'd recommend 4x as 8x cripples performance when flying in heavy clouds.

There should be a big difference in appearance.

I believe the screenshot above is incorrect. You need to set antialiasing mode to "enhance the application setting" and antialiasing transparency supersampling to 4x sparse grid super sampling.

In P3D you must set MSAA to match the 4x or 8x you put in NI. So in this case I'd recommend 4x as 8x cripples performance when flying in heavy clouds.

There should be a big difference in appearance.

Per Steves instruction from another post its override application which is what I use - so it appears to be fine as posted above

Rich Sennett

SGSS (particularly 8X) is still very hard on performance, particularly in dense clouds. As you have a 970, you have another option which is the ability to enable Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) through the Nvidia Control panel, which allows for much improved AA with low-no performance impact, even allowing you to run in-sim MSAA as low as 2X. You can also do away with using NVI which is a plus.

To enable:

- head into the Nvidia Control Panel and set DSR factors to something like 2X, and set the DSR Smoothness to the default of 33% to start. Click apply. Your desktop resolution should remain as-is; all you've enabled is the ability to select the higher DSR resolution within an application.

- Next, go into the display settings in P3D and select the new DSR resolution from the dropdown - you likely won't notice anything change immediately.

- Then, load up a flight and alt+enter twice to toggle in and out of windowed mode. DSR should now be enabled (the red info text will be much smaller, but the change in AA should also be immediately apparent).

- When you exit P3D, you resolution should switch back to your default.

Note: This method is only available on Maxwell and later GPUs.

Bad news.

Can't see any difference between using NI and not. Im starting to wonder if its my GTX 970 thats the problem. 

Don't believe you GPU is the problem..

Be sure to use the correct profile and select apply changes and run NI as admin.. Also check your settings in Nvidia control panel

Nvidia%20ctrpnl.png

I use "Enhance Application Settings" not override.  Also recommend you don't run a different DXGI (like SweetFX/Reshade and/or any product that puts a DXGI in the root of P3D).

da09e0257cf85b13394f31fd9ae0ec65.jpg

As far as monitors, one step up to 4K will make the AA look great without having to use NI SGSS AA.

Cheers, Rob.

I too use "Enhance the Application Setting" and "4x Sparse Grid Super Sampling". Mind you, it's a moot point these days, since Nvidia Inspector ignores any changes that I try to make :mad:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Try 8xSS in NI and 8x MSAA in game. Read that on P3D forum

This setting will not eliminate cockpit panel shimmering such as in Carenados Kingair C90B. For that at least 2 x SGSS is required.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I use "Enhance Application Settings" not override.  Also recommend you don't run a different DXGI (like SweetFX/Reshade and/or any product that puts a DXGI in the root of P3D).

Thanks Rob for the post - much appreciated

Rich Sennett