737ngx99

Awful AA in P3D v3

I second DSR. I got the same results without the frame hit that comes with sgss

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I somehow cant get DSR to work, if I apply it and then make the alt + enter trick it still doesnt trigger it for me, so im still using sgss, maybe someone can help?

I somehow cant get DSR to work, if I apply it and then make the alt + enter trick it still doesnt trigger it for me, so im still using sgss, maybe someone can help?

If using P3D v3 it is no longer necessary to step in and out of windowed mode to change DSR settings. Just ensure that you have set up a DSR setting in NVIDIA Control Panel - Manage 3d Settings - Global settings tab - DSR (check boxes for the DSR options you want), Apply and then quit out of NVCP.

Start sim and select the required resolution directly - the DSR options will appear in the GUI below the native resolution. Select the one you want. Should be it. 

Haven't you learned that the "Antialising - Mode" setting in NI does absolutely nothing for a DX11 application (like P3D).

It doesn't matter if you set this to enhance or override. That only works for DX9 stuff (like FS9 and FSX).

The only NI setting that has any effect is the "Antialaising - Transparency Supersampling" and this should be set to no higher than "4x Sparse Grid Supersampling".

The only options for general antialiasing are the MSAA and FXAA settings in P3D itself.

• Upvote 1

If using P3D v3 it is no longer necessary to step in and out of windowed mode to change DSR settings. Just ensure that you have set up a DSR setting in NVIDIA Control Panel - Manage 3d Settings - Global settings tab - DSR (check boxes for the DSR options you want), Apply and then quit out of NVCP.

Start sim and select the required resolution directly - the DSR options will appear in the GUI below the native resolution. Select the one you want. Should be it.

A quick question. I have a 970, so I am anxious to give DSR a try. When using DSR, does the anisotropic filtering section still have an effect? I am currently using 16X set in the P3D V3 settings menu.

I also do NOT use vsync or triple buffering. Even with vsync "off", I have absolutely no screen tearing issues at all when panning - either in the VC or when panning external views. The same was true in P3D 2.5 I do run the Aero desktop theme in my Win 7 installation.

Hi Rob..Just saw your post now. I'm not an expert but just wondering what's the benefits of using "enhance" vs "override"? 

Override means driver will ignore AA usage flags and process AA regardless (in ALL cases).  Enhanced means the driver will respect the AA flag (i.e. not use AA when code specifies to NOT use AA) ... but when AA is flagged to be used, then it uses the specified setting (SGSS AA).

I know LM attempted (at one point) to disable AA processing on clouds ... I think this is the only time where "Enhance" vs "Override" might come into play in P3D.  If you get a huge hit in performance wtih SGSS AA going thru dense clouds, you might want to test with "Enhance" to see if there is any better performance vs. "Override".  As I understand it from Beau Hollis (lead LM graphics dev) the disabling of AA on clouds is not a guarantee process and can vary from driver to driver and GPU to GPU (and possibly even OS to OS) ... I'm not even sure if the "DX11 hack" for AA disable was left in ... so best to try "Enhanced" and "Override" in dense clouds and see if you notice any worse/better performance.

Cheers, Rob.

A quick question. I have a 970, so I am anxious to give DSR a try. When using DSR, does the anisotropic filtering section still have an effect? I am currently using 16X set in the P3D V3 settings menu.

I also do NOT use vsync or triple buffering. Even with vsync "off", I have absolutely no screen tearing issues at all when panning - either in the VC or when panning external views. The same was true in P3D 2.5 I do run the Aero desktop theme in my Win 7 installation.

Hi Jim, the AF settings should be independant of the AA method so they should still work (though I haven't been able to make out too much of a difference between 8X and 16X). And like you, I don't use vsync or triple buffering as screen tearing isn't an issue either.

Hi Jim, the AF settings should be independant of the AA method so they should still work (though I haven't been able to make out too much of a difference between 8X and 16X). And like you, I don't use vsync or triple buffering as screen tearing isn't an issue either.

Thanks Dylan. I just got home and fired up the computer to give DSR a try :)

Well, tried like everything now..Doesn't seem to change the AA at all .Veru upset. Never had Anti Aliasing problem in FSX.

What are you basing your observations on? The runway piano keys? Aircraft models? Just trying to narrow down what your specific complaint is. I use 4SGSS enhanced and the piano keys are perfect. Most a/c models are also perfect BUT I occasionally get a jagged edge. Perhaps the model itself can create an issue.

Vic

What are you basing your observations on? The runway piano keys? Aircraft models? Just trying to narrow down what your specific complaint is. I use 4SGSS enhanced and the piano keys are perfect. Most a/c models are also perfect BUT I occasionally get a jagged edge. Perhaps the model itself can create an issue.

Vic

It's kind of everything. Especielly the PMDG aircrafts has ugly jagged lines. Aerosoft Airbus looks ok, Otherwise the scenery and the runway has a bad AA.

Dsr doesn't work in window mode. You have to be in full screen. You'll know it's working when your menu gets smaller

So, what is the definitive setup? Running an EVGA 980Ti on a single monitor. I just realized turning FXAA OFF in P3D reduced blurries by a lot! Now with NVI or NV Control Panel the consensus is too set 4XSGSS? 

Basically what setting should I set in P3D itself and what should I change in NVI or Control Panel or Both? With FXAA off and 4XSGSS set is looks Better but not great. FSX Still wins on image clarity for the moment. 

Did I miss a setting or perhaps I overlooked something. 

Angelo Cosma

My triple monitor setup can handle 8x MS icw 2xSGSS.

The combo 4x MS + 4x SGSS is to much with multiple cloud layers.

I can see that when using 8x MS and adding 2x SGSS the little shimmering I have disappears so it looks that that combo is working.....

In P3D the shimmering does not disappear completely not even with MSAA 8x + 8x SGSS.

I little word of warning here after testing last night. 

If you have 980 or 980Ti there is no need I would thing in reading on.

With a 780 with 6gb.

The weather has been very testing here in the UK this week so it was idea to test AA.

The is no point in taking about in game settings the results are just down to AA.

EGNX Runway 27, ASN, weather total over cast, bad fog, as bad as its going to get really. Aircraft=GA default, very light on FPS.

P3D in sim AA set to 4x

With no ASN, clear sky, inspector 4x FPS 145

With ASN on, inspector set to 4x FPS 41....yes 41

inspector set to 2x FPS 67

So be very careful because when you run into clouds/bad weather your FPS are going to die, so just because you "see" how nice 4x-4x looks be warned of the down side..

Here is something I also found out, I deleted Inspector from PC. Went back in game...still the same AA 4x in sim and same as inspector 4x???. Its sticks, you have to go into your normal Nvidia setting panel and reset that or it will carry on using the last setting you had in Inspector. Something to take note of.

Am going to use 2x as I can live with the hit, i might try 8x MS and keep 2x SGSS

I was under the impression that the setting for SGSS in Nvidia Inspector needed to match the setting for MSAA in P3D? So, for example......if you have MSAA set to 4x in P3D, you would also need to set SGSS at 4x in Nvidia Inspector.

And just to back up Rob's earlier point - I get significantly better performance using "Enhance" and 4 times SGSS as opposed to "Override".... That's running a 980GTX.

Here is something I also found out, I deleted Inspector from PC. Went back in game...still the same AA 4x in sim and same as inspector 4x???. Its sticks, you have to go into your normal Nvidia setting panel and reset that or it will carry on using the last setting you had in Inspector. Something to take note of.

... because NI is only an editor for the "ini settings" of the gpu.

and

you can easily reset the settings back to nvidia standard settings - an "undo" if you want - by just clicking the button in NI - easy as cakeeating...

I'm getting poor AA performance in overcast conditions even without SGSAA :sad:

I have to resort to SMAA injection via SweetFX. I will need a stronger GPU, despite using SGSAA and 8X AA without problem and with splendid image quality in FSX:SE. That's the nature of diverging code bases, I guess. One performs and looks great, and the other.....not so much when the AA truly is awful.

I've been testing v3 AA on my GTX680+3960x and the latest NVidia driver, among my findings I’m pleased to see TSSAA is working, that is the non sparse grid transparency supersampling modes. This bodes well as implies better overall handling of the GPU AA modes.

P3D 2xMSAA AA quality alone shows as obviously worse than P3D 2xMSAA with NI 2xTSSAA (or 2xTSGSSAA) combined.

Override always performed better than App controlled, or Enhanced, with no better fps, but less dropouts, and a more stable frame rate overall. App controlled actually often hit’s a few higher peaks than Override by a few fps but spoiled by worst for dropouts and instability.

Only the NI AA Transparency section, SSAA, and SGSSAA, made any changes to the image quality, but then only when it is set to the P3D MSAA setting. If I choose any other MSAA setting in P3D, that setting overrides any setting I made in NI.

No visual changes could be detected whatever settings I make in the AA section other than changing the Transparency AA value to the multiple of MSAA selected in P3D. Making changes to the “Antialiasing – Setting” value made no obvious differences that could be seen on screen. Introducing the Transparency values with NI showed a greater decrease in performance than simply applying larger MSAA samples, but actually usefully improved AA image quality.

With the stock B58 I found P3D 2xMSAA with NI 2xTSSAA OK, but P3D 4xMSAA with NI 4xTSSAA smoother looking although with a fair hit on fps. With stock plane and scenery I found TSSAA enough, but with some instruments, planes, and scenery the sparse grid setting may be required.

PC Win10 GTX680+3960x 6 core Intel with HT enabled, P3D v3 AM=980=(00,11,11,01,01,00).

Only the NI AA Transparency section, SSAA, and SGSSAA, made any changes to the image quality, but then only when it is set to the P3D MSAA setting.

Does that still apply if you use "Enhance the Application Setting"?

I simply run 4xMSAA in game and 4xSGSS in NI. Like many have preached, those settings are very good until heavy cloud layers. In that case, I simply drop to 2XMSAA in game, and fps is usally stable through clouds. I usually dont get much shimmering during flight. Most shimmering comes from runway lines anyways.

Also, not sure if we are over stressing our cards, but I find 4xSGSS usually pegs my GTX970 at 99% GPU utilization. With no SGSS, it fluctuates between 40-60%.

• Upvote 1