Sign in to follow this  
mikethe6th

Joining the Prepar3d Bandwagon

Hello,

So after several months of umming and ahhing I'm now set on giving Prepar3d a go!

Over the years of using FSX there was a regular theme of must have items or cfg tweaks. Is there anything similar I should know before firing up P3D for the first time? For example, fsuipc and Bojote's cfg tweaker spring to mind. To put it honestly, I'm looking for a lazy idiots guide.

Finally, this is my computer spec, anyone with similar care to report on performance?

• i7 940 @ 2.8 O/C to 4GHz
  • Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600
  • ASUS P6X58D-E MoBo
  • 1280MB MSI V801, GTX 470 x 2 (SLI)
  • Some from of SSD

Many thanks,

Mike

P3D works best without tweaks, buy it and start giving it a go. You've got the 60 day refund if you are not satisfied with it.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Tweaks usually are not necessary. By the way, it might make sense to look at getting a modern graphics card. The 470 might hold you back as P3D moves a fair amount of processing to the gpu.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Welcome to the >elitist< club Mike,   Here we chat about about the future of Flight Simulation ***P3D***   We drink long and expensive glasses of mature HDR,   we fine dine on delicately cut platters of Vas improvements and nibble on Orbx slices,   All whilst gazing at the Active sky and the luscious textures of Rex. 

Yes try P3D without Tweaks.  As Tom said, try it and see how you go, If your not happy, get your refund,   see how your system handles it,  you might have to make some upgrades to your system. 

I just made the jump from FSX-SE to P3D, fantastic and the only tweak it needed was affinity mask. Other than it runs great, and looks fantastic right out of the box.

I have a similar system:

-i7 930 @2.8 O/C to 3.4

-Asus P6X58D-E mobo

-16GB DDR3 1333

But I changed the GPU from 560 to 970 after P3D V3 install.

As a tweak I only did the "FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01" addition, I feel it helped with lessenign the slightly perceptible stutters. Also did the usual NVidia Inspector configuration. I have limited the FPS to 32 and can mostly get a fluid stable 30-32 FPS flight with high settings.

I have FSX, FSX-SE, P3D v1.4, 2.5 and V3 on different SSD drives and V3 is now my overall favorite.