Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Is it just me (The airport search box)!

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but does anyone else have the same problem I have with the airport search box on the startup screen?. The airport it selects when you type in a name is rarely the correct one, and it's very easy to not think and hit Enter, taking you to the wrong airport.

Some examples

- Type in Bergen, and instead of selecting "Bergen Lufthavn Flesland", it selects a heliport in Germany which has the word Bergen towards the end of the title.

- Type in EKKO (The ISO code), and instead of preselecting EKKO, it selects Trekkopje (because presumably it has ekko in the middle)

- Type in Manchester, and it selects a heliport called (Public Service Co. Manchester). 

- Type in Hamburg, instead of preselecting "Hamburg", it selects Heussler Hamburg 47NY :/

There are hundreds more examples I could give, and it does get irritating if you type before you think and hit Enter.

It's a minor annoyance, but it seems to be working the complete opposite way than it should, e.g. If I type in EKKO, it should be fairly obvious it's an ICAO code. If I type in Bergen or Hamburg, it would make far more sense to select airports which begin with those names and not have it somewhere in the middle or end :-)

Anyway, I've submitted a bug report, I hope they fix it (but I'm sure they have more important things to do :-))

YES.

The sorting looks like based on Names rather than ICAO. 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Hi Tony,

Well , i would agree an additional option for search for a ICAO only would be a nice feature .
But this sentence lets me think about :

and it's very easy to not think and hit Enter, taking you to the wrong

In my experience , more and more users tend to click around without reading anything .
If the thing let me hit OK it should be ok .
IMO, a programmer should not decide what a user want to do .
Excluded the proposed action is really dangerous or make no sense at all.

YES.

The sorting looks like based on Names rather than ICAO. 

ICAO searches do actually work, but the problem is the actual matching airport it preselects from the list isn't often the actual airport I want :/

In my experience , more and more users tend to click around without reading anything .

If the thing let me hit OK it should be ok .

IMO, a programmer should not decide what a user want to do .

Excluded the proposed action is really dangerous or make no sense at all.

I agree people (including me) tend to click before they think, but I'm only proposing the auto-selection is just a little cleverer. In nearly all cases, it would solve the problem if it selected the first search result and not the last.

Additionally, it would be really nice if by default it showed the last airport I was at.

I agree people (including me) tend to click before they think, but I'm only proposing the auto-selection is just a little cleverer. In nearly all cases, it would solve the problem if it selected the first search result and not the last.

In this case i would agree : select ICAO-hits first.

Additionally, it would be really nice if by default it showed the last airport I was at.

It actually does . At least with my current settings and on Linux .

Maybe you have to set  'save prefs  in ' operation and warnings'.

Also i've read in another forum :  

Some prefs didn’t  stored when XP is closed with the window (X) instead of using menu .

I don't have 10.41 loaded, but I suspect the list is selecting any string with the 4-letter ICAO included and putting them in alphabetical order, which may not put the ICAO under the cursor.  I always check since launching a 737 from a helipad is a bit tricky.

You're right, it used to remember my last airport selection, but no longer does. I'll have a check in the settings as you've pointed out, and I also almost always close the app by clicking the "X" button :-)

And I think it got worst on one of the latest updates.

Maybe the search function was changed, and the matching is now more wide, instead of trying to first look within possible ICAO designators ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I don't have 10.41 loaded, but I suspect the list is selecting any string with the 4-letter ICAO included and putting them in alphabetical order, which may not put the ICAO under the cursor.

That's correct. It seems to be like a full-text search for the string you enter.

And I think it got worst on one of the latest updates.

I don't think so. It has always looked for the entered string.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Heh, I had a 'not looking' moment the other day, imagine my surprise when I loaded up with my plane bobbing in the water.

99% of the time I do an ICAO search though, and it never usually causes me any issues.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Heh, I had a 'not looking' moment the other day, imagine my surprise when I loaded up with my plane bobbing in the water.

Happens far too often for me :-). 

Occasionally, I think of an airport and can't remember the exact name and find that the selection process is, and maybe always has been, handy in sorting these things out.  If you just don't enter anything and hit enter, thinking that it will start where you were before, it will - the closest airport to where you were when you shut down - whether you just shut down, crashed, or finished your flight.  Of course, you guys knew that.

You just have to slow down and see what it brings up or highlights in the box before pushing enter.

John

John Wingold