Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Ortho4xp looks like a killer app for X-Plane scenery!

tonywob, thanks for the explanation. Now only if I can get this program to run on Windows 7. :sad:

I am stuck at this step in the instructions.

2. At the Python prompt issue import requests, overpy, numpy, tk.
You should only obtain a new command prompt and no error messages.
3. Do the same with the command from PIL import ImageTk.
Here again you shouldn't obtain anything more than a new command prompt.

Can someone tell me exactly how I do this in Windows 7?

Also when checking my netpbm bin directory. I don't have pamundice.exe, where can I find this? According to the instructions it mentions this:

If you additionally wish to be able to build automatically transparency masks for
coastlines (or so-called sea equiv user-dened regions), you should succeed in at least one
of the following two tests :
6. Netpbm is present on your computer and possesses the executable pamundice

And lastly, I have installed gimp 2.8.14, but when typing in the gimp command, i get this:

E:\Applications\GIMP 2\bin>gimp-2.8.exe -i -c -b '(blurX "test.png" 16 "result.p
ng")' -b '(gimp-quit 0)'

E:\Applications\GIMP 2\bin>

In the Gimp Console Window it says batch command executed successfully twice, but however, when looking for the result.png file, it's nowhere to be found.

Hi Aaron,

Oscar and Tony can explain everything much better than I ever could. But if they can't answer shortly you can PM me and I will do my best to help.

Hans

Hans

I have updated the Dropbox content with what could be called "release canditate" (let us be pedantic!)

- Ortho4XP.py (main source file, now accepts WMS servers too)

- Carnet_d_addresses.py (address book of providers, added a few WMS and TMS)

- README.install (install instructions updated, step by step)

I have removed the content of the Win64 install dir and replaced it by the

(updated) download links. I use Dropbox which has a download quota and I would

not like to break it. I also made some tiny changes to the Manual.pdf

The total archive size is now 15Mb, most of which is the manual.

Does this now have a GUI?

Yes it does. Check it out, a must have IMHO.

I have updated the Dropbox content with what could be called "release canditate" (let us be pedantic!)

- Ortho4XP.py (main source file, now accepts WMS servers too)

- Carnet_d_addresses.py (address book of providers, added a few WMS and TMS)

- README.install (install instructions updated, step by step)

I have removed the content of the Win64 install dir and replaced it by the

(updated) download links. I use Dropbox which has a download quota and I would

not like to break it. I also made some tiny changes to the Manual.pdf

The total archive size is now 15Mb, most of which is the manual.

Thank you Oscar. Works like a charm. Any chance you consider porting this to the ESP platform some time?

Hans

Oscar, I get a gimp error while creating masks with the new version:

(gimp-console-2.8.exe :6668): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp-console-2.8.exe : gim

p_wire_read(): error
batch command experienced an execution error:
Error: ( : 1) eval: unbound variable: -b

I see that a gimp batch file is created in the main directory.

Can you help with this please?

Hans

Hi Hans,

In principle nothing changed at the level of Gimp or the masks between this version

and the previous one. I will reboot in windows later today and try to reproduce it.

I tested it a few weeks ago on windows 7 and it was working, and indeed yes I had

to go through a batch file (only under windows, I otherwise had issues with "escaping" too

much quotes).

Regarding you previous message, I must confess I have no idea of what an ESP platform is (?),

but I am sure you'll tell me !

Thanks Oscar. ESP is the "base engine" on which FSX and Prepar3D are built. I thought it might be possible (theoretically) to have your program output bgl files as well.

Hans

I'm getting errors when running Step 2.5. I checked my command window and it shows this:

E:\Applications\Ortho4XP>"E:\Applications\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-console-2.8.exe " -i -

c -b "(blurX \".\\Masks\\+48-006\\whole_tile.png\" 16 \".\\Masks\\+48-006\\whole

_tile_blured.png\")"-b "(gimp-quit 0)"

(gimp-console-2.8.exe :3824): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp-console-2.8.exe : gim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed that the orthophoto that was created is a bit too overly saturated... it's really green and the water is extremely a bright blue. Doesn't look realistic at all. Is there a way to adjust the colors?

And also if I were to create orthophotos for Hawaii, where can I get the elevation data so that Ortho4XP can use to build it's mesh? I know the Ouessant one is already in the Ortho4XP/Elevation folder. But for those of us who wish to create orthophotos, where can we get this elevation data from and is it necessary?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Hi Oscar, I think I found the error. In ortho4xp.py in line 3194 a blank before -b was missing. Now the mask creation works fine. Off to creating more now :-)

I'm getting errors when running Step 2.5. I checked my command window and it shows this:

E:\Applications\Ortho4XP>"E:\Applications\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-console-2.8.exe " -i -

c -b "(blurX \".\\Masks\\+48-006\\whole_tile.png\" 16 \".\\Masks\\+48-006\\whole
_tile_blured.png\")"-b "(gimp-quit 0)"

(gimp-console-2.8.exe :3824): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp-console-2.8.exe : gim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed that the orthophoto that was created is a bit too overly saturated... it's really green and the water is extremely a bright blue. Doesn't look realistic at all. Is there a way to adjust the colors?

And also if I were to create orthophotos for Hawaii, where can I get the elevation data so that Ortho4XP can use to build it's mesh? I know the Ouessant one is already in the Ortho4XP/Elevation folder. But for those of us who wish to create orthophotos, where can we get this elevation data from and is it necessary?

Aaron, check the manual for elevation data sources. The map on viewfinderpanoramas.org has links to elevation data worldwide.

Hans

I just don't get the point of flying over flat world it's to 90s for me.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

In ortho4xp.py in line 3194 a blank before -b was missing.

Thanks for that, I did a bit a cleaning by cutting long lines before uploading

and that way I broke it...

I am so stupid that I also uploaded it with the error on the .org...

One point could be that the 3D buildings which you will then put on top of it

sometimes look better with such a flat world beneath, like e.g. here.

Orthophoto vs landclass is a matter of taste, I personnally like both.

Completely flat? You still get OSM and autogen laid on top of your "flat" orthophoto scenery. That's sure is better than just buildings on top of the plain vanilla default textures.

Oscar any ideas on why my created orthophoto sceneries come out overly saturated. I will include a picture.

Car_CT182_T_26.png

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I can't seem to see your png but open the file Ortho4XP.cfg and

you'll see a place where you can adjust saturation, contrast and brightness

on a per provider basis (think of the numbers as percentage which you add (positive)

or substract (negative) to the originals).

Some users find textures washed out when they are not very constrasted and

saturated, others like you (and I) prefer them more natural looking; with these

parameters anybody can adapt to their preferences.

Of course it's a matter of taste but I wouldn't say that this looks flat. And this is Denmark, a rather flat country  :smile:

Screenshot2015-11-0501.00.57.pngScreenshot2015-11-0501.03.23.png

• Upvote 1

Hans

I'm getting a failure at step 2.5 when creating the masks. It seemed to work fine for the default tile in the tutorial, but right now I'm trying to do +22-160 tile which is for Kauai, Hawaii.

Step 2.5 : Building Masks for Tile +22-160 : 
----------

Constructing binary mask for sea water / ground.
 Gaussian blur and level adjustment applied to the binary mask with Gimp...

Gimp is either not present on your system, or didn't configure its
access command correctly, or it has no access to the blurX script-fu.
Check in the manual for testing instructions.

Failure.

Here's the output of my command window:

c -b "(blurX \".\\Masks\\+22-160\\whole_tile.png\" 16 \".\\Masks\\+22-160\\whole
_tile_blured.png\")" -b "(gimp-quit 0)"

(gimp-console-2.8.exe :8928): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp-console-2.8.exe : gim
Error: ( : 1) eval: unbound variable: blurX

Any ideas on what's causing this error? I'm using the newly uploaded Ortho4XP that was just uploaded to X-Plane.org too.