Sign in to follow this  
Gh3003

Braking problems on RWY

Turn off the A/T before landing, and reduce thrust to idle at 30-40 feet, and engage reverse thrust when you are on the ground. Check that the autobrakes are being applied (red brake message), and that the spoilers are deployed.

Never had a problem stopping the 747.

The wheel brakes on an aircraft are the main thing that will stop an aircraft on landing. Indeed it is part of certification that the aircraft must stop with brakes only (no spoiler/reverse thrust). The autobrakes work by commanding a set deceleration rate, depending on the setting. So the more the spoilers/reverse thrust slow the aircraft initially, the less work the brakes have to do. Generally, pilots will know what exit the will need for the runway and will plan autobrake setting/reverse thrust use accordingly ( idle reverse is generally used down to 60-80 knots). New brake pads are not as expensive as an engine overhaul !

Peter Schluter

Thank you - in the pmdg 747-400 i can not remember i saw a single red message about braking, have no idea why

Thank you - in the pmdg 747-400 i can not remember i saw a single red message about braking, have no idea why

Do you have any hardware like rudder pedals with toe brakes assigned to the aircraft ?

Peter Schluter

Yes - i have rudders with toe brakes

Try setting a larger null zone. If your brakes are sending a signal it will turn off the autobrakes.

Peter Schluter

In other words - i shall not use my pedals? My 0 zone is rather low, but i use pedal brakes as well during landing - so this will corrupt autobrakes?

In other words - i shall not use my pedals? My 0 zone is rather low, but i use pedal brakes as well during landing - so this will corrupt autobrakes?

If you select autobrakes, then you must keep your feet off the toe brakes until you no longer want the autobrake to function. If you apply brake pressure it will disconnect the autobrake.

Peter Schluter

I tested it - now i understand why i went into the lake on rwy33 at ENFG :)

Thanks

[...] but i use pedal brakes as well during landing - so this will corrupt autobrakes?

If there is an autobrake function, why would you use your pedal brakes? The parallel concept would be trying to use the yoke while on autopilot.

Taking a lot of vacationers up to Fagernes? Wish I was there. I kinda miss Norway - haven't been back there in a decade!

Kyle Rodgers

i did not understand that until now :)

I go there every year with my family, (to Fagernes town, that is - and its sorroundings) its a beautiful place. Cool you have been there!

The sub-question that appears is that i dont know if the 747 would land at ENFG for real, maybe in an emergency?

I go there every year with my family, (to Fagernes town, that is - and its sorroundings) its a beautiful place. Cool you have been there!

The sub-question that appears is that i dont know if the 747 would land at ENFG for real, maybe in an emergency?

I used to travel around Rogaland and speak my own terrible form of Norsk. I need to get back there.

ENFG certainly could be used as an emergency landing field. Heck, in Norway, anything that looks remotely like an airport would help. It's certainly not the most forgiving country for flying.

Kyle Rodgers

I must admit i was never in Rogaland // but if you are going to Valdres you could drop by ENFG :)

Bra at du snakker norsk :)

Bra at du snakker norsk :)

...men bare Norges styggeste dialekt.

Jeg tror at jeg kan lese og skrive (som et barn), men jeg er skremt av hvordan jeg høres ut når jeg snakker...spesielt i rogalandsdialekt.

...eller...eg e skremt av hvordan eg høres ut når eg snakkår.  :P

Kyle Rodgers

Jøss - imponerende! Jeg får inntrykk av at du er ansatt hos pmdg når jeg leser innleggene dine, er det riktig?