Sign in to follow this  
Beardyman

Flightplans format

I would like to ask what is the difference between .rt and .rt2 flightplan formats ? ( PFPX is giving those two choices of exporting PMDG plans )

Artur 

I would like to ask what is the difference between .rt and .rt2 flightplan formats ? ( PFPX is giving those two choices of exporting PMDG plans )

Just a guess, but I believe .rt is for the 777, 737, MD-11, JS41 and 747. rt2. is for the 747 only.

Artur

.rt and .rt2 is the same format. It just loads into the coresponding page in the FMC. If you go into the route page of the FMC you will see a second page this is so you can enter a second route. I believe it is often used for the divert route and setting up a route change before entering it into the main route.

I believe PMDG changed the way the FMC load the .rt files. If your using a company route doesn't actually matter as to how its saved. Im pretty sure the system was changed to load from any of the flightplan folders. If the route isn't found in the native folder it then looks in the others.

Artur

.rt and .rt2 is the same format. It just loads into the coresponding page in the FMC. If you go into the route page of the FMC you will see a second page this is so you can enter a second route. I believe it is often used for the divert route and setting up a route change before entering it into the main route.

I believe PMDG changed the way the FMC load the .rt files. If your using a company route doesn't actually matter as to how its saved. Im pretty sure the system was changed to load from any of the flightplan folders. If the route isn't found in the native folder it then looks in the others.

Thanks for feedback

RT2 and RTE are not the same format and do not correspond to the FMC RTE1 and RTE2 pages. RT2 format is a list of waypoints and airways, exactly as you would enter them manually in the FMC Route page. RTE format contains a lot more information. It includes all the waypoints along the route (not just the airway connecting entry and exit waypoints), the Lat/Long of each waypoint and some other coding.

Newer addons like the MD-11, J41, NGX and 777 use RTE format throughout. The 747 seems to be less tolerant of variations within the RTE format, depending on what source created the file. If you import an RTE format flight plan into the 747 FMC the LEGS will be created properly but the route page can be almost empty and can't be used to modify the route. You can use a text editor to make an RTE file compatible with the 747 FMC, but you need to use a better text editor than Notepad or it becomes a laborious waypoint by waypoint process.

The 747 FMC supposedly works better when importing a company route in RT2 format. PFPX will create this format. I don't have PFPX so I tend to stick with using RTE format as the problems with generating the FMC Route page correctly aren't that important to me.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Do flight plans in FSX - PMDG 777 need to have a .RTE extension for the FMC to load it?

When you create and save a flight plan in ASN it has a .pln extention and the FMC in the PMDG will not call it up.

Am I missing a step here? of Flight plans in ASN is useless?  

Paul Gugliotta

Do flight plans in FSX - PMDG 777 need to have a .RTE extension for the FMC to load it?

When you create and save a flight plan in ASN it has a .pln extention and the FMC in the PMDG will not call it up.

Am I missing a step here? of Flight plans in ASN is useless?

Yes, the 777 FMC needs the flight plan in RTE format.

A flight plan made in ASN can't be used in the 777 but it doesn't need to be. The 777 introduction manual describes how the 777 and ASN interact.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Kevin:

If you are referring to Page 160, I did that in the ASN setting (auto load simulator flight plan + checked) . and Page 7 of 7 in the FMC is also set up, yet STILL my flight plans from FSX end up with .pln extension and are useless. 

I guess I an just get a route from ASN and manually enter and save it to the FMC for next time/

Paul Gugliotta

kevinh,

Although you said that "The 747 FMC supposedly works better when importing a company route in RT2 format." and "RT2 format is a list of waypoints and airways, exactly as you would enter them manually in the FMC Route page.", if you do enter them manually and save the route, it is saved as .RTE.

Dugald Walker

I guess I an just get a route from ASN and manually enter and save it to the FMC for next time/

I think you have got the right idea now. Or get a flight planner that exports the route the in the .rte format.

kevinh,

Although you said that "The 747 FMC supposedly works better when importing a company route in RT2 format." and "RT2 format is a list of waypoints and airways, exactly as you would enter them manually in the FMC Route page.", if you do enter them manually and save the route, it is saved as .RTE.

Indeed it is. But an externally created RTE format plan usually won't work. If you edit a plan saved by the 747 you will see differences to an RTE plan made by another utility. I suspect later PMDG addons are more tolerant of differences in format.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Kevin:

If you are referring to Page 160, I did that in the ASN setting (auto load simulator flight plan + checked) . and Page 7 of 7 in the FMC is also set up, yet STILL my flight plans from FSX end up with .pln extension and are useless. 

Paul,

I didn't have the Intro document available to me when I posted. I meant Page 101, FSX PLN FILE FOR WX. This option continuously updates the active flight plan as a file called WX.PLN for use by the external weather programme.

You shouldn't be trying to get the 777 flight plan from ASN (or FSX for that matter). Also you can't expect PMDG to use PLN format as an alternative input format to RTE. I plan my flights using Simbrief then save the plan in both RTE and PLN format. You can do exactly the same if you use PFPX or other flight planning utilities. With the 777 there is no need to create a PLN format flight plan for ASN as it can use the WX.PLN file output from the 777. However, I still make a PLN file as a matter of routine as other addons don't do this for you.

ki9cAAb.jpg