Sign in to follow this  
Demious

Migration Tool error when starting P3D

Before I never noticed any problem with Migration Tool and P3Dv3, but since yesterday, every time I start P3D, Migration Tool gives a warning:'Failed to open dll.xml for reading. Migration Tool's functionality will be limited'

And after that an error message:'Failed to open Prepar3D.cfg for reading'

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

• Upvote 1

Cheers!

Maarten

AFAIR, the Migration Tool is never to be active when using the sim. 

This is potentially ruinous piece of software if you don't know what you're doing, so you absolutely positively MUST read and more importantly UNDERSTAND what you are doing with this thing.

• Upvote 1

Maarten,

You must be aware that first, this migration to does run the risk of breaking things.  Second, your support options are limited if something breaks.  To be honest, this isn't a P3D issue, and if it is, it's only because P3D didn't like what you did.  Mallcott's suggestion of reading and understanding the manual that accompany's the software is a must.  I am sure they detailed everything out very carefully so you may have missed a step somewhere.   That migration tool, as far as I can tell, isn't sanctioned by any developer of add-ons that they created for other sims.  Just my take on it, but you may want to get with a forum that deals directly with the migration tool.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I do know how it works and it has worked since the day it was released, up until yesterday. Something has broke upon starting P3D yesterday and it needs to be fixed.

I'm not sure how you got the idea I claimed it's a P3D issue, I dont know what the problem is, so I didnt mention anything about any personal guesses about what might cause the issue...

For the A2A FSX aircraft you need Migration Tool and it works fine.

I also posted my question on the Migration Tool forum, but I'd like to move on, so I rather post on a forum where it's reasonable to expect to get any response today.

Can we please stay on topic?

• Upvote 1

Cheers!

Maarten

Happy to. dll.xml is the repository for addon content configuration files.

I'd remove all the addons you installed with the tool, one at a time until you find the one that caused it. Then don't install that one.

There arent any addons installed with Migration tool, at the moment. After testing a lot of stuff, I thought to do a compelte reinstall and I dont have many addons installed yet. I reinstalled ASN sunday evening, but after installing ASN, I've started P3D more than once and no problems, then. Yesterday I also was able to start P3D several times before this started and with no changes at all, I start P3D and I get this error.

Installed are: FTX Global, FTX Vector, FTX OpenLC EU, FTX OpenLC NA, UTX Europe, UTX Canada, UTX USA, REX TD+SC and ASN and Carenado Skymaster.

All, except the Skymaster are P3Dv3 versions and the Skymaster is installed by simply pointing it to the P3Dv3 folder, which has been working fine for a month now.

This is my current dll.xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>
    <Path>Modules\FSUIPC4.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Migration Tool Plugin</Name>
    <Path>MigTool.dll</Path>
    <DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>
    <DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>as_connect</Name>
    <Path>as_srv\as_btstrp.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

I only have basic knowledge of these entries, but from what I can see, there's nothing that I'd say might be the problem.

Cheers!

Maarten

I do know how it works and it has worked since the day it was released, up until yesterday. Something has broke upon starting P3D yesterday and it needs to be fixed.

I'm not sure how you got the idea I claimed it's a P3D issue, I dont know what the problem is, so I didnt mention anything about any personal guesses about what might cause the issue...

For the A2A FSX aircraft you need Migration Tool and it works fine.

I also posted my question on the Migration Tool forum, but I'd like to move on, so I rather post on a forum where it's reasonable to expect to get any response today.

Can we please stay on topic?

A2A aircraft don't need the migration tool.  I have their C182 and it installed fine in P3D, unless of course you are trying to install the FSX version into P3D, which goes against the EULA.  Look at their site where they have different installs according to what sim you have.

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

The Migration Tool is active.

Exactly like I said.

<Disabled>False</Disabled> = active

As I said, if you don't know what you're doing with this tool, it will really mess with your sim. 

A2A aircraft don't need the migration tool.  I have their C182 and it installed fine in P3D, unless of course you are trying to install the FSX version into P3D, which goes against the EULA.  Look at their site where they have different installs according to what sim you have.

-Jim

I'm talking about FSX aircraft and that is allowed, according to a.o. Lewis from A2A. I asked it for P3Dv2 and they told me it was fine and I asked it again for P3Dv3 and they told me it was fine. Check the A2A forums, there are plenty of posts about using FSX aircraft in P3D, there are lots of people who use them.

The Migration Tool is active.

Exactly like I said.

<Disabled>False</Disabled> = active

As I said, if you don't know what you're doing with this tool, it will really mess with your sim. 

I understand that if disabled is false, that that means active, but there is no such entry in the EMT part.

Which entry are you pointing at? the one from dll.xml, FSUIPC, or ASConnect? And how do entries for those 3 items activate EMT?

But you're already talking about having addons installed with EMT, but I'm talking about having EMT installed, only. Let me be clear, EMT is not used for installing any addons yet, I only installed it for when I get to installing those 2 aircraft I use it for. And I do know how to do that and I'm not doing anything I'm not sure of. So I'm not sure what you think I should know to do what I've done so far. We're only talking about installing EMT and using P3D afterwards, not about EMT being used to install addons.

• Upvote 1

Cheers!

Maarten

I fly 4 FSX A2A planes in Prepar3D V3 using the EMT Tool and they work perfect

Maarten

This might sound silly but have you checked all your folder permission rights and running as administrator

Sorry, but I'm not providing ANY advice on the correct use of the EMT. I have pointed out where your error is. After that, good luck. I don't share your apparent moral ambiguity. 

What I do wonder is why you haven't posted on this subject in the A2A forums? Surely they will allow discussion on this as it relates to their product, which you have their consent to install according to your claim ?

And if they wont or don't you're pushing your luck expecting us to help you here.

Go ask the developers of the tool.

tumblr_ly5e24bRcD1r3y4i3.gif

• Upvote 1

After careful consideration and rereading the very first post, I still have to ask:

Why is a post concerning EMT being posted in the P3D forum?

1.  EMT may have it's own forum elsewhere.  I do not believe it is appropriate to have this thread here.  Perhaps Hange Chat?  Would a Mod like to chime in with this please?

2.  The OP stated "For the A2A FSX aircraft you need Migration Tool and it works fine."  If there is an issue with A2A aircraft, posting the initial question at the A2A forum would be more advantageous to the OP and quite possibly, a better response would be given.

3.  Blatent discussions about EMT here is what Mallcott stated "apparent moral ambiguity".  What one does on their own computer, in the privacy of their own home is their own business and not the business of the general public.  I liken this discussion to Lemmings, if one jumps, the rest follow, but does that make it right?  Why can't we all practice good moral sense?

That's all I will say on the subject and I leave the rest of the members in this topic to their own devices.  If someone has a personal problem with what I stated, I would expect careful consideration and respect to receive a PM.

-Jim

Jim could you show me a link were it says,  installing FSX planes into Prepar3D is illegal,  i'm curious really, i don't want to be doing anything wrong 

Jim could you show me a link were it says,  installing FSX planes into Prepar3D is illegal,  i'm curious really, i don't want to be doing anything wrong 

First and foremost, can you show me where I said it was illegal?  Do not put words in my mouth please.  I am perfectly capable of speaking my own mind, thank you very much.

-Jim