Sign in to follow this  
lorenplanes

Will my computer handle the 777?

Hi all!

I was just wondering if my computer (*cough* laptop *cough*) could possibly handle the 777 with FlyTampa Sydney (hoping to buy these two), although my specs do qualify for the 'Recommended Hardware' on the PMDG website for the T7.

My Specs are: 

• Intel Core i5-2520M 2.5GHz (max 3.0GHz) CPU with 8GB DDR3 RAM (1600MHz)
  • Intel HD Graphics 3000 GPU with 2GB vRAM
  • Windows 8.1 64-bit

and Payware Add-ons

• GSX
  • REX 4 TD
  • REX Soft Clouds
  • Active Sky Next

I get about 20-ish fps with the NGX.

Thanks for your help, lorenplanes

Generally the 777 is a bit easier on the frame rate, so if you are satisfied with the performance of the NGX, the 777 should be either better, or the same performance wise.

Wybe

Generally the 777 is a bit easier on the frame rate, so if you are satisfied with the performance of the NGX, the 777 should be either better, or the same performance wise.

Wybe

Thanks, crimtye.

I've heard about that, but how do you think It'll handle with FlyTampa YSSY?

Umm well I don't know whether you have any add-on scenery to compare it with. I personally do not have the Sydney scenery. FlyTampa Toronto is the only FlyTampa scenery I have and I don't notice a decrease in fluidity, but that's because I have quite a powerful system. I think performance is likely to be similar to other detailled major airport add-ons (UK2000 Heathrow, Aerosoft Mega Airports, etc...)

Wybe

PS This sub-forum requires you to sign posts with your real name  :smile:

Hello Wybe,  You forgot to tell crimtye its your full  real name in the Post. tch tch.

To be clear here, there are a few people who need to use their full - first and last - real name. Please ensure to do so in the future.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi all!

I was just wondering if my computer (*cough* laptop *cough*) could possibly handle the 777 with FlyTampa Sydney (hoping to buy these two), although my specs do qualify for the 'Recommended Hardware' on the PMDG website for the T7.

My Specs are: 

• Windows 8.1 64-bit

and Payware Add-ons

• GSX
  • REX 4 TD
  • REX Soft Clouds
  • Active Sky Next

Loren,

As a laptop user, allow me to give you some advice.

First off, your graphics preference is not going to hold up to the rigors of the PMDG 777 and FlyTampa's Sydney.  Sorry buddy, integrated graphics just won't cut it.  You need a discreet graphics chip, which basically translates to a graphics card in a desktop.  Sure, intel has made great strides with their cpu.gpu combo, but not enough for flight simulation.  Ever since I started using a laptop for flight simulation, I always had a graphics card of some sort inside.  My current rig has an MXM card and on it a nVidia GTX-980M w/8gb of memory.

You should do fine with your cpu, although turboboost to 3.0ghz is still a strtech.  i found that your base frequency is what matters most.  A 2.5ghz processor will run your sim but for long hauls or any graphics intensive areas, your cpu will scream bloody murder.  I had a similar cpu not long ago and felt the pain.  Currently, in order to have a trouble free and smooth flight experience, you need something closer 4ghz base.  Don't let the turboboost fool you.  Sure it'll boost you up but only for so long until the thermal limit is reached and then your cpu will throttle back as a safety feature.  Those payware add-ons are a hefty load on your rig and I doubt it would make for an enjoyable flight, even if you are lucky to avoid an OOM.  Since you haven't mentioned the sim you are currently using, it's a crapshoot as to which one will yield better results.  You state that you can get 20-ish fps with the NGX, and while that wouldn't be a bad level to be at, once you start adding on payware airports and other scenery, I highly doubt you'll be able to maintain those 20s.

You may want to seriously look into a new rig if your desires are as lofty as a 777 on a long haul from LAX to YSSY.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Hi all!

My Specs are: 

• Windows 8.1 64-bit

and Payware Add-ons

• GSX
  • REX 4 TD
  • REX Soft Clouds
  • Active Sky Next

Hi, Loren,

I have an I7, 2.0 - 2.9 w/ boost laptop, I think same chip generation as yours, but with a built-in Nvidia display card.  I get OK but not great results with the 777 on it.  Frame rates can be as low as 12 on approach to UK2000 Heathrow w/ cloudy weather (ASN, running on a networked computer).  But if you are satisfied w/ the NGX, you should be OK w/ the 777.  

A couple of things to consider:

If you are NOT using a given high-demand airport, uninstall it temporarily, as FSX loads scenery that is not in use.  I believe FSX Steam has the same problem. 

Especially important, if you are flying to one high-demand airport, be sure to uninstall any nearby high-demand airports.  Example: flying to Heathrow, uninstall Gatwick. 

Reducing or eliminating AI aircraft (slider to left) helps a lot.

Don't expect to fly with scenery sliders to the right -- most will be to the left, and you will need to experiment.

You can point a fan at the computer or get an elaborate stand that forces air through the computer.  I've done the former and it helps somewhat.

Some people have also removed the external model, which greatly reduces demands on the computer.  You won't have a good external view but the aircraft will fly just fine.

BTW, I don't get OOMs on long-haul flights, but I don't have a lot of addons and the ones I do have run on  a networked computer.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2