Sign in to follow this  
PinkPony

P3D V3 FMC memory leak back?

Is there a difference I'd notice using the Aerosoft Navdata? I have used Navigraph only so far. - David Lee

Doubt you would, I have found zero issues with the Aerosoft data.

• Upvote 1

Eric 

Doubt you would, I have found zero issues with the Aerosoft data.

Do you enter gate numbers in the pref init page, is that part of their navdata? Navigraph is not good having gate info in the files - David Lee

Jim, very good analysis. i wonder if you would try another approach that give people headaches. From parsing through this thread, it would seem VHHH is one that causes this VAS leak. As well, the transitions from OCK VOR to the runways at EGLL, ie., any of the "OCK" arrivals, then selecting one of the transitions from the of the arrival to the first fix on the ILS for one of the runways at Heathrow has also caused this VAS leakage. The VHHH arrivals I believe are for both the 7's and 25's. If your testing reveals the same as above then I believe you have figured out a way around this VAS issue for now. I for one use the Aerosoft navdata and have never had an OOM. I do use the Navigraph data but only subscribe to the EFB data to pull up on my tablet (very realistic by the way).

I'll have a look tonight.

Going back to KSEA I reset to Aerosoft Nav data then replaced the SIDSTAR KSEA with the whole file from Navigraph.  No VAS issues.  OI then reset back again then replaced the wpNavAPT.txt with the Navigraph version.  Still no VAS issues.  I then reintroduced the Navigraph SIDSTAR file as well and with both wpNavAPT.txt and KSEA.txt as Navigraph versions I had the VAS leak back!

Strange!  Now, I don't understand the nuances of the Navdata syntax but there are differences between the Navigraph and Aerosoft versions. Bits in bold are the differences.

wpNavAPT.txt

SEATTLE-TACOMA INTL     KSEA16L11901163 47.463794-122.307750110.3016300433

SEATTLE-TACOMA INTL     KSEA16L11901162 47.463794-122.307750110.3016300432

KSEA.txt

APPROACH ILS16L FIX KARFO AT OR ABOVE 3200 FIX DGLAS 1900 RNW 16L HDG 165 UNTIL 900 TRK 131 INTERCEPT RADIAL 161 TO FIX TEBNE FIX TEBNE AT OR BELOW 2000 FIX MILLT AT OR ABOVE 5000 HOLD AT FIX MILLT RIGHT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 341 LEGTIME 1

APPROACH ILS16L FIX KARFO AT OR ABOVE 3200 FIX DGLAS AT 1900 RNW 16L HDG 165 UNTIL 900 FIX TEBNE AT OR BELOW 2000 FIX MILLT AT 5000 HOLD AT FIX MILLT RIGHT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 341 ALT 5000 LEGTIME 1

When I get back from work I'll have a look at the VHHH approaches to see if there is the same Navigraph vs Aerosoft differences.

Jim

Jim

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Sorry guys but I need to burst the bubble of hope!

As promised I repeated the tests I've been doing this time to VHHH using AEROSOFT Navdata.

The results were disappointing:

VHHH%20Arosoft_zpsvrk56blz.jpg

Jim

Jim

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

HDG 165 UNTIL 900 TRK 131 INTERCEPT RADIAL 161 TO FIX TEBNE

Correct.  This syntax seems to be implicated in most of the FMS related leaking VAS scenarios.  What you got is pair of tandem conditional waypoints, which should be okay but seems to be the culprit.  The conditional waypoint means you cannot calculate the actual location until you get there because it is conditional on a flight parameter that you can only guess at...., in this case the first is dependent on the time it take to get to 900 MSL and then the second is dependent on the first plus the variance introduced by first a mag heading then a mag track to intercept the magnetic course.  Nothing new here. It is a bug in the FMS.

Oh by the way, the syntax is exactly correct and is more accurate than the other that ignores the conditional altitude.

Dan Downs KCRP

I long noticed that "heading-to-radial intercept maneuver" causes OOM, so I got used to inputting STAR just before descent to minimise the chance of OOM.

However, the problem came back today when I flew the aircraft from LOWW to EGLL. I realised that the VAS kept increasing in cruise just like before, but this time I have not input the STAR yet. The symptom (gradual increase of memory) was exactly the same as what I saw before I acknowledged "heading-to-radial intercept maneuver" causes OOM. So interesting is that every flight I experienced OOM issue was from EAST TO WEST such as LOWW to EGLL / CYYZ to KSFO.

I flew the aircraft from LOWW to EGLL

That flight is not long enough in time for a memory leak due to missed approach procedures to have any significant impact on VAS. Were you using normal time or time compression?

That flight is not long enough in time for a memory leak due to missed approach procedures to have any significant impact on VAS. Were you using normal time or time compression?

I am one of the users who discovered certain kind of approach could lead to memory leak and reported the clue to PMDG. Actually memory leak could occur even in short flights. OOM would not occur if I select the STAR just before descent.

In the recent flight in which I experienced OOM, I just input DEST. in the RTE page and activated without selecting STAR, that's why I think the occurrence of OOM so strange! I have flew these routes for many times without getting any OOM warning. The maximum VAS used I have seen is around 3.6GB (at least 400MB left) in the flight from LOWW to EGLL.

I have not been flying for several months. The only thing I did before these OOM flights was updating the navdata. No scenery was newly installed, and no setting were changed.

I was using normal time without time compression.

Hi,

I stumbled onto this thread and I'm glad I did.  I was wondering why I couldn't do half of a KIAD - KSFO (landing 28R) flight without seeing my memory slowly trickle away (around 300 meg per hour).  I would need to save the scenario not even halfway across the country and then HOPE to have enough when I get there.  You have all saved me a ton of frustration and I am now confident that I can do longer trips with the 777.  Doing a test as I type this and so far things look good.

Thanks again to everyone's hard work and impressive research.  It is appreciated.  Now if only PMDG will get around to fixing it.

Troy

I just completed a flight from LOWW to EGLL after installing AS16 + ASCA without OOM. I still saw VAS leaking during the flight, but I noticed a dramatic loss of VAS when flying through airspace above Frankfurt where I had got Aerosoft's scenery installed. I wlll now try to use scenery configurator to disable that and see whether the VAS loss will disppear.

To those who are using FTX Global Vector with Scenery Configurator, may I know if I should run Airport Elevation Correction Tool everytime I disable a scenery? I am used to run the tool once I install a new scenery to ensure it works without elevation issue, but I wonder if I should do so after activating or deactivating the sceneries I have already installed...

I might have found another airport approach that comes with a VAS leak. Flew from Auckland to Doha in the LR and woke up from some good hours of sleep finding that my VAS had gone from 2.2GB to 3.1GB over night. I have done loads of the these longhauls and never experienced this before. Example is OMDB-KSEA and landing with 2.7GB VAS in use (1.3GB free).

I managed to get down with 300mb to spare, but it increased a lot more than usual. All scenery deactivated except for Doha. Default in Auckland.

Arrival was for 34R and AFNAN was the STAR. Not at my computer so I can't remember which ending the STAR name had. Would appreciate if someone could give it a go (of course not as long of a flight). Used 1702 on the flight.

Benjamin Hennes

Ryzen 7 7800X3D|2080Ti 11GB|32GB DDR5 RAM|1TB SSD|Windows 11 Home

Hey guys,

thought I'd chime in. I recently transitioned from the MD80 to the B777. Where I fly, it is normal to depart without a STAR and approach programmed into the FMC. The FCOM says that at any point you wish along the flight, you can insert the arrival. Reason is obvious of course for a long haul aircraft. Just wanted to throw it out there for those thinking that leaving without a planned arrival is somewhat unrealistic. It is actually common practice. So next time you leave without an arrival, don't feel bad. You're actually following FCOM procedures (for my airline at least :-) )

Cheers,

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Will PMDG fix this issue? I am about to pull the trigger on the P3D version. But with this problem and the current price I am concerned...

Cheers Jan 
5800X3D | Asus Strix 3080TI OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws | 1T + 250GB Samsung 960 Evo | Windows 10 | MSFS

I'm bumping this topic.  I'm experiencing a VAS leak SFO ILS28R.  Want to keep my fingers crossed this type of leak will be fixed.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

15 hours ago, Dreamflight767 said:

I'm bumping this topic.  I'm experiencing a VAS leak SFO ILS28R.  Want to keep my fingers crossed this type of leak will be fixed.

No need to do this.  When there is an update to the 777 I'm sure this will be fixed.  Repeated posting of a known problem is not going to get it fixed any sooner... and if you  want to make sure bugs are fixed the way to do that is to put the information on a trouble ticket and submit it to PMDG Product Support.  They do not use the forum to keep track of bugs.

Dan Downs KCRP