Sign in to follow this  
PinkPony

P3D V3 FMC memory leak back?

Let KLAX ILS 25L run while I was in the office today while sitting on the runway at KPUB.  No OOM, pretty stable (and actually VAS should have been higher but I did some excessive panning and accidentally loaded weather at the start of the session).  I'll see if I can check out the differences between KSEA and KLAX, and get some reproduction.

Thank you for testing that Kyle,

I am also running 1.10.6492, but on P3D V3.

What you guys have seen above confirms that in FSX the issue was solved successfully with the latest version of the PMDG777. 

However, in P3D V3, the issue I am experiencing when loading specific approaches seems to be if not exactly the same, a very similar bug to the one in the FSX before the update which resolved that VAS leak.

As far as P3D V3 goes, VHHH ILS07R, ILS25L, ILS25R, KSEA16L are so far the only approaches that when selected and activated in the FMC will instantly result in a ~100MB-150MB VAS leak and eventual OOM.

I have submitted all my findings to Ryan via my support ticket and I am sure they will get to the bottom go it.

The only OOM's I encounter in P3D V3 are due to this very frustrating leak. At least once I know which approach causes it, I can go ahead and delete the missed approach section from the approach navdata making the subsequent flight OOM free. As mentioned previously, this continues to be the only fail safe solution, one which I hope won't be necessary for much longer.

What you guys have seen above confirms that in FSX the issue was solved successfully with the latest version of the PMDG777.

I wouldn't rule it out since I had an OOM with KSEA ILS 16L.  Just tells me that my testing is inconclusive right now until I can gather more data in controlled scenarios.  I'm on travel starting Saturday, so I might be able to get 1 or 2 8-hour tests in sometime before then (maybe).

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

OOM at 11:09 hours on Dec 16 into ZSPD-KMEM flight using ILS 18L at KMEM. Same flight on Dec 17 but the runway was 36R at KMEM. VAS usage started to increase at an alarming rate so I checked the missed approach on 18L/36R and both were the same – intercept to radial. I changed the approach to runway to ILS 36C in the FMC and landed at 13:02 at KMEM with 2885K VAS used. These two flights were flown with ASN weather, traffic, 21 airports enabled, Scenery Tech, FS Genesis , GEX-NA, and UTX-USA

Missed Approach for 36R

HDG 000 UNTIL 1000 HDG 070 INTERCEPT RADIAL 040 TO FIX OROCU FIX OROCU AT OR ABOVE 5000 HOLD AT FIX OROCU LEFT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 220 LEGTIME 1

Missed Approach for 18L

HDG 178 UNTIL 900 TRK 121 INTERCEPT RADIAL 151 TO FIX KEEZE FIX KEEZE AT OR ABOVE 5000 HOLD AT FIX KEEZE RIGHT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 331 LEGTIME 1

Letting the KSEA ILS 16L scenario (sitting stationary, no weather, no airports enabled, no traffic, the usual) run overnight, I hit an OOM after just short of 8 hours.

8OJsCog.png

I tried your test sitting on the ground at PHOG. I simply input PHOG and KSEA as departure and arrival airports respectively and then selected and executed the 16L ILS at KSEA. After two hours I saw no decrease in VAS. I'd be happy to try again overnight. Just let me know if I should be doing anything differently.

By the way, this was on the 777-300ER on P3d v3.

Walter Meier

What software version, what AIRAC?

And just for consistency sake, try it again in the -200.

Letting the KSEA ILS 16L scenario (sitting stationary, no weather, no airports enabled, no traffic, the usual) run overnight, I hit an OOM after just short of 8 hours.

Thank you Kyle,

That is precisely what I am experiencing in P3D in the -300ER, and what I experienced in FSX after Ryan asked me to check if this leak was also still occurring in FSX.

Can you please submit a ticket to support with your findings? Rob discussed the importance of doing so when we in the community find potential bugs. The more reports/tickets they receive the more resources they will devote to the issue and the easier it will be for them to solve the problem!

If you have some additional time, would you try the same scenario but select VHHH ILS07R? This is also a guaranteed OOM after 7-8 hours in P3D V3. I suspect it is the same in FSX.

I believe I transitioned to P3D V3 during AIRAC1510, as of 1513 nothing has changed. Leak is still present in FSX as of current AIRAC 1513.

I have also tested both Aerosoft Navdata Pro and Navigraph Navdata. Both lead to leaks on the same approaches, even when the missed approach code for a given approach varies slightly in coding/wording.

I tried your test sitting on the ground at PHOG. I simply input PHOG and KSEA as departure and arrival airports respectively and then selected and executed the 16L ILS at KSEA. After two hours I saw no decrease in VAS. I'd be happy to try again overnight. Just let me know if I should be doing anything differently.

By the way, this was on the 777-300ER on P3d v3.

Walter, can you try the same scenario as Kyle in your next test. On the ground at PHOG, and let the sim run run overnight. 10 hours will guarantee a OOM if there is a leak. They typically happen after 7-8 hours due to the rate at which the VAS leaks.

I see the same VAS leak regardless of -200LR/F and -300ER.

Can you please submit a ticket to support with your findings?

I submitted a ticket this morning about the OOM described in post #33 of this thread.

Quick update:

Currently doing another KLAX-VHHH. What previously appeared to be a solution, that is removing the missed approach segment from the navdata, does not appear to work. The leak slows however is still present...

I selected VHHH ILS07R (I removed the missed approach code for this approach from the navadata file) and the leak was still evident. Ate up close to 250Mb, two hours into KLAX-VHHH. Switched to ILS07L (which never had a leak issues) and still has its full and unmodified missed approach code, and guess what? The leak stops instantaneously. 

I will report this finding by updating my ticket now.

I am beginning to think that this specific leak is different from the previous one (which was resolved according to PMDG) in that it may be completely unrelated to the missed approach code but rather to a different part of the approach code!

Didn't get to test anything last night, will be on travel, away from my sim computer for the next few days for the holidays. I'll recreate some of my original VAS scenarios from this past year when I return.

Walter, can you try the same scenario as Kyle in your next test. On the ground at PHOG, and let the sim run run overnight. 10 hours will guarantee a OOM if there is a leak. They typically happen after 7-8 hours due to the rate at which the VAS leaks.

I ran the test again overnight. Started out with about 1.5 remaining and dropped to 1.45 after one hour, where it remained for the next 13 hours. Here's the info:

P3d v3

Located on the ground at PHOG, no weather, no AI

No route entered other than the KSEA ILS16L, activated and executed.

772LR in PMDG colors, ver. 6492

Navigraph AIRAC 1513.1

Active addons: Orbx FTX Global, Vector, Pilot's 2010 mesh, Rex Texture Direct 4

I'd be happy to test again under different conditions. Just let me know.

Walter Meier

I'd pick one of the runways reported above and try it again.

Thank you Walter,

That is interesting to say the least! Same test condition for me results in a steady VAS leak.

Can you attempt a overnight VHHH ILS07R?

If you don't mind, set up at KLAX, select a DEP (25L will do) and the ILS07R (LIMES transition) approach at VHHH. Remove any discontinuities between DEP and ARR and execute.

I ran the test again overnight. Started out with about 1.5 remaining and dropped to 1.45 after one hour, where it remained for the next 13 hours. Here's the info:

P3d v3

Located on the ground at PHOG, no weather, no AI

No route entered other than the KSEA ILS16L, activated and executed.

772LR in PMDG colors, ver. 6492

Navigraph AIRAC 1513.1

Active addons: Orbx FTX Global, Vector, Pilot's 2010 mesh, Rex Texture Direct 4

If you don't mind, set up at KLAX, select a DEP (25L will do) and the ILS07R (LIMES transition) approach at VHHH. Remove any discontinuities between DEP and ARR and execute.

Will do. I'll report back tomorrow.

Walter Meier

So I ran the test exactly as described above and this time, sure enough, VAS started a gradual decrease until OOM sometime during the night. I think the reason I couldn't reproduce it initially was the lack of a departure runway. 

I can test other scenarios, if you'd like.

Thank you Walter,

That is interesting to say the least! Same test condition for me results in a steady VAS leak.

Walter Meier