Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

IAS mode on the autopilot

I think this topic deserves its own thread..

First of all, the IAS push button selection is broken, it does not set the target speed properly.

Carenado recognizes this and say it will be fixed.

Secondly, the UP/DOWN rocker switch is confused...

If you operate the rocker switch with the mouse wheel, in the popup autopilot,

it works the way I would expect it to operate.  Mouse wheel up = nose down.

However, if you just click on the UP and DOWN sections of the switch, it operates

in the opposite mode...  UP = nose down,  DOWN = nose up.

Likewise, in the VC, it is left click / right click (no mouse wheel :mad: ) and

again UP is nose down, etc..

Do we any RW pilots out there who can chime in on this?

I am not sure that Carenado is convinced that this thing is broken..

Bert

Bert, that's correct.

Jim Robinson discovered a great workaround however - if you click on the IAS button and then immediately click on either the nose up or nose down button, (just once) this sets the present speed on the Espen and the IAS mode works really well then (apart from the fact that it initially commands a brief nose down for some reason).

If you just press the IAS button (as you'd do in the real aircraft), the Espec shows 0kts, and the aircraft goes into "pitch up and die" mode.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Hi BIll,

That part, Carenado is going to fix.. the rocker switch I am not so sure..

Bert

Altogether, there are some problems with IAS mode.. can you get it to level off at target altitude in IAS mode?

Bert

Altogether, there are some problems with IAS mode.. can you get it to level off at target altitude in IAS mode?

Jim told me to push ALT ARM again after pushing IAS, and sure enough that works  :smile:

Thanks Jim!

Bert

Yes, it's certainly finnicky.   Sorry I didn't mention the need to hit the 'Arm' button on the alt selector again, after hitting IAS mode .... yep that's another bug.

Bill

Jim told me to push ALT ARM again after pushing IAS, and sure enough that works :smile:

Thanks Jim!

HI Bert, been going through this morning and I got this to work.

In level flight and speed wit ALT selected, press IAS and immediately the 'up/dn' twice, the default setting is 0knts so the second press sets it at your current speed ,( you can also up and down the speed on the switch), there may be a small alteration in altitude/speed but should settle down

Set desired altitude, press arm and then increase throttle to climb maintaining current speed,.as the desired altitude is intercepted and levels off, IAS cuts off and ALT is swithed back on.

A re adjudtment of throttle control is required to maintain current speed.

On the Aspen I clicked on the right knob to highlight ALT and the right clicked which puts a alert altitude in, this is also highlighted in yellow, when desired altitude is reached the current altitude is shown.

I've noted the rocker switch on the lower panel is a left click to nose down and a right click will nose up. whilst on the pop up a -click will nose dn and a +click will nose up.

on the pop up panel and using the mouse wheel I noticed if higher alt is selected and arm pressed rolling the mouse forward increases the vs and rolling back decreases vs, on decending it appears to work opposite.

bob

I wonder what the best overall solution would be... make the rocker switch mouse wheel only?

That way, it could be consistent between the popup panel and the VC.

Lets see what Carenado come up with in their service pack update.. :smile:

Bert

Well, the service pack is out, and my recommendation is to simply "not use the IAS mode" on this airplane.

That way, you can have a satisfying flight experience and enjoy what is otherwise a solid release  :smile:

This airplane reminds me of the C337... solid, utility airplane that handles very well and has lots of power!

Love the GTN 750 in the panel - very nice!

Bert

Well, the service pack is out, and my recommendation is to simply "not use the IAS mode" on this airplane.

That way, you can have a satisfying flight experience and enjoy what is otherwise a solid release  :smile:

This airplane reminds me of the C337... solid, utility airplane that handles very well and has lots of power!

Love the GTN 750 in the panel - very nice!

Yes Bert I agree, had another go today and decided that. Noticed  some issue with the AP pop up, the ALT indicator at odd times doesn't show ( tool tip indicated 'on' ) but will have a go tomorrow and see if it repeats. It was ok on the main panel gauge.

Did a couple of RNAV approaches but didn't make it; tiredness and lack of attention to detail I guess...try again tomorrow.

bob

I haven't tried v1.1 in FSX yet but in P3D v3 I'd have to say IAS is fixed, seems to work OK and no need to tickle the rocker switch anymore to get the speed value shown on the Aspen. That was one quick flight from Half Moon Bay to Monterey, few more "test flights" this evening, lol.

I haven't tried v1.1 in FSX yet but in P3D v3 I'd have to say IAS is fixed, seems to work OK and no need to tickle the rocker switch anymore to get the speed value shown on the Aspen. That was one quick flight from Half Moon Bay to Monterey, few more "test flights" this evening, lol.

Same here Jim. Seems to work fine for me in P3Dv3.

Bill