Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Change to P3D from FSX

I know this is done to death, but i'm starting to look into swapping FSX for P3D.

What things should i be aware of? Can i still use FSUIPC, Active Sky Next, Ultimate terrain Europe, UK2000 scenery Airports, 737 NGX, as you can see i have a few addons, are these all transferable?

Vernon Howells

Keep a copy of FSX on Your Hard Drive as :  A. A of of the stuff You use in FSX - can Be Dragged across - and Dropped into P3D - B. Some of the stuff You Want in P3D has FSX Only Installers - You can Install it and - Drag and Drop it - C. Yo may want to do a Direct Comparison Between P3D and FSX - Johnman B)  

So i'll keep FSX and all addons installed when i install P3D then?

Vernon Howells

I still have FSX Co Existing - Both in the Programs(x86) Folder - But at least until You feel that You NO Longer Need or Want It ! - Johnman B)

What things should i be aware of? Can i still use FSUIPC, Active Sky Next, Ultimate terrain Europe, UK2000 scenery Airports, 737 NGX, as you can see i have a few addons, are these all transferable?

Some of them are transferable meaning you can download the P3D version for free using the same license you purchased for the FSX version. However, some addons like the PMDG NGX are not transferable and you'll have to buy the P3D version, which I'm sure you already know since you spend a considerable amount of time in the PMDG forum.

A lot of scenery designers offer free P3D upgrades since airports are not officially licensed products.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Cheers guys i will buy the months trial tomorrow! Can i have more than one copy installed? Ie lets says i get P3D and i already have ASN can i have another install for P3D of ASN?

Should i get the migration tool ?

And what about Nvidia inspector can i keep the settings the same for P3D?

Vernon Howells

Cheers guys i will buy the months trial tomorrow! Can i have more than one copy installed? Ie lets says i get P3D and i already have ASN can i have another install for P3D of ASN?

I'd suggest you do some more research first

It's a 60 day refund. There is no trial version

Certain versions allow multiple installs. Others don't.

No dont get the migration tool - use only those addons that are licensed and compatible with P3D or else you are asking for trouble. Learn the sim first.

Not much point keeping the same NI settings for a different simulator.

• Upvote 1

You can get P3D for a months subscription! 

Can you still have 1/2 vsync with P3D or is this completely different?

Vernon Howells

Hi Vernon.

About P3D,

V3, is stunning, the lighting, the shadows, there is no turning back to fsx.

You will have to do your own testing what works on your rig, all my sim'ing FSX for countless years and P3D v2.5 was done on FPS locked at 30, but for me running unlimited works best in v3 

You will find it odd when you first boot it up, you need to right click and find the setting tab and then go into General and have a look in there to start the sim more in a way you do with fsx.

The NG with all the VC shadows is stunning and cloud shadows is the two huge gains. VAS in v3 is great. Nothing bad to say about it apart from...

i

The Down side? Given I know you fly Ryanair round Europe and winter is here.

AA is not as good as FSX, if you use the setting below with only the same 4x set in P3D then AA is as good as FSX to me, but last night I did some tests at EGNX, Runway 27, my gfx is a GTX780 6GB.

Clear sky =145 FPS

ASN weather = Fog, total over cast with no inspector 115 fps as about as hard as you can get for weather.

ASN weather with below set = 40 fps

as above but set to 2x = 65 fps.

The problem its using AA on clouds etc so the FPS hit is huge.

I set 4x within P3D and as below but 2x. AA is OK to me like that. If you have a 980 or 980Ti then FPS are a lot better with high AA setting.

da09e0257cf85b13394f31fd9ae0ec65.jpg

Good luck, hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Dave.

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Hi david you good?

I'm going to do the switch but my biggest fear is getting everything back up and running which can be a pain like EZDOK. do you use this?

Can i keep my current GTX780 driver for P3D ?

thanks for the tips, i will try those settings!

Vernon Howells

Good mate thank you. 

All should be fine.

I used this vid to set up Ezdoc, all works fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUcA9PEhx9U&index=6&list=WL

My v2.5 P3D setting are in this topic, now I run unlimited and inspector as above with 2x

http://www.avsim.com/topic/468421-well-impressed-with-the-777-after-vas-test-ss-of-settings/

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Vernon,

You will need to purchase the PMDG 737NGX again to use it in P3D.

UK2000 airports can be used in P3D, and in fact Gary is currently creating native P3D installers for all of his Xtreme airports.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Vernon,

You will need to purchase the PMDG 737NGX again to use it in P3D.

UK2000 airports can be used in P3D, and in fact Gary is currently creating native P3D installers for all of his Xtreme airports.

Other products may or may not need updating depending on the version you currently use. ASN needs a beta update http://www.avsim.com/topic/475752-v3-developer-updated-software-thread/page-29#entry3321428; UTX Europe needs a version update and P3D patch etc. etc.

Thats why I recommend you do your research before dropping funds. The monthly license ONLY applies to the Pro Plus or Professional Developers License, so you need to assure yourself you meet the requirements:

http://www.prepar3d.com/support/end-user-license-agreement-eula/

Trial, month, whatever you call it you WILL drop considerable bucks on v3-compatible product to put in the sim and it won't necessarily be refundable. 

Vernon you have PM turned off?

Concerning the EMT, I think you will find as many who have used it without encountering difficulties as those who say avoid it. I know in the case of P3Dv2.x many used it and were able to download scores of products designed for FSX (and whose license did not prohibit using it in other sims) into P3Dv2.x and the worst issues encountered were one or two features that didn't work in a few addons. From my own experience I would recommend use it if you wish for A/C  and airport addons (unless expressly prohibited by the seller's EULA), but avoid using it to install large complicated sceneries such as ORBX products. (Wait for ORBX to release P3Dv3 installers.) As of mid-October the EMT had been updated for V3, but several issues were noted. You can check their website to see how things stand and make an informed decision if you wish to use it or not. I have used it to install a few a/c and several airports into P3Dv3, and the worst issues I have encountered were non-functioning landing lights at some airports and a non-functioning mouse click spot in one a/c. But it definitely has not introduced errors into my P3Dv3 installation.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049