Sign in to follow this  
lluisdc

Request for a P3D mentor

Good afternoon,

I started repainting aircraft around year 2006 short after we founded our VA: Catalonian Airlines (www.catalonian-airlines.cat). At that time I had no idea at all even about using Photoshop and I had to start doing the repaints because nobody else in the company was available for that task. At that time (and still now) we fly Microsoft FS2004. I do not remember how but I reached Leen de Jager and from the first minute he gave me all the help I needed. Thanks to him, today I can say that I have enough repaint skills as to produce fairly good aircraft for FS9. I will always be indebted to Leen for his time, effort, kindness and patience with me, still today.

In our VA we regularly receive applications from VATSIM members asking to become pilots of Catalonian Airlines, but FS2004 is no longer available in the market. To reverse that situation, the staff took the decision of make some tests with the simulators available today and we finally choose Lokheed Martin Prepar 3D. At this moment I am trying to start repainting the aircraft of our fleet for this simulator with our livery, but I must confess that I had not much success as P3D uses a different texture files (DDS) that I have never worked before.

I would like to take the opportunity of this forum to ask for some help to any expert repainter of P3D aircraft who can give me some initial guidance and answer some questions I may have in this early period of my training. I am one of those rare people who reads the manuals to bother the minimum other persons, so I promise that I will do my best to fly/repaint alone as soon as possible. Said that ... is there anyone here willing to accept this challenge of mine? If so, thank you very much in advance and please contact me with a private message in this forum.

Best regards,

Lluís

Lluís del Cerro
VATSIM Senior Instructor

Catalonian Airlines

vatsim_5000h.png

Hello Lluis,

First off - If You have already Purchased P3D - what ever Version - You will have received a copy of the Proper Version of the SDK - this will explain what You need to know to Repaint -  If You have not yet purchased - then the P3D SDK is Basically the - FSX SDK - which is readily available - Free - Online - Second - You Need to start Haunting the Fsdeveloper web site - any thing regarding Fsx Repaint would apply - Fsx/P3d is WAY different From Fs9 - The Learning Curve WILL Be FUN !! -

and Remember - Simming in P3D is NOT meant to Be Enjoyable - But Have Fun ! - Johnman B)

Hi Johnman,

Thank you for the information. I will follow your indications.

Besides from that, I have P3d ver. 2.4 and I have used it but actually I will stay with FS2004. However, I need to repaint the P3D aircraft for the other pilots using it.

Thanks again,

Lluís

Lluís del Cerro
VATSIM Senior Instructor

Catalonian Airlines

vatsim_5000h.png

Hello Lluis,

Going in the direction that You are - repainting Fs9 A/C for p3d will be a bit of a problem - 1. Fs9 textures rely on the alpha channel for reflection and opacity - in fsx/p3d - You will use an FSX Material that has an opacity or opaque selection - 2. If You are Repainting a Native Fs9 aircraft - Fsx/p3d will accept the bmp textures as long as they do not rely on alpha Channel - I have Converted My favorite Cessna 162 - which is Native Fs9 - but I had to wrestle with the Windows the Prop and the Glass textures - It turned out Gorgeous ! - 3. Native Fsx/p3d A/C have a seperate model for the Virtual Cockpit - in Fsx/p3d A/C You can totally Build Your Own Virtual Cockpit and replace the original - fs9 You cannot alter the Virtual cockpit 4. I would suggest that You convert the A/C first - Get it look'in good and Flying before You do the Repaint - or - Select a Native Fsx/p3d A/C and repaint it - Good Luck - Johnman 

Hi guys,

Thanks Lluis for your kind words.

OK I gave some hints, but it must be said, I did not give you talent, wich is most important and that you brought in yourself.

About paintwork for FSX/P3D I cannot tell much, I can tell what  I "think" but thats not of much help.
One needs a painter who actually is painting in these sims and as known I am painting for X-Plane these days.

Johnman and other friends will certainly help you where possible I am confident they will.

Allow me to make a suggestion as moderator of this forum.

Please do not exchange all information by PM.

Probably other  (beginning) painters will have the same questions and need the same anwers.

So, I think its an idea to discuss questions and answers here on this forum. (Thats the general idea behind a Painters-Forum)

OR when a problem has been solved by PM give a synopsis here.

Simple said : This was my question and thats the answer.

Then we all can benefit. ( general painting -questions could be added to the Repaint FAQ`s too ) 

Cheers

Leen

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Hi all again,

I am very sorry for not replying but, I do not know why, I am not receiving any notice when there is a reply to this subject or others. I am trying to solve it now.

Last week I could install in an absolutely new and top rating computer the FSRepaint V2 from Abacus. As I had many problems with my PC trying to open FS2004, FSX and P3D aircraft, as said, I tried my registered copy of FSRepaint in a new PC. I could confirm that it works perfect with FS2004 and FSX aircraft but it does not work with P3D's. Some time ago Abacus answered to me that they could not say if FSRepaint could deal with P3D files and now I have sent them a message confirming that it does not.

I was using FSRepaint following the recommendation of Leen as I allowed me to render the results of the repaint without running FS2004. As said, now I cannot use FSRepaint for that. I assume that most of us do our repaints using Adobe Photoshop, but I wonder if there is any software that can be used with P3D to render the results of a repaint operation without running P3D which takes a lot of time.

I am leaving for some holidays but I hope to have some reply when I'll be back. Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions and advice.

Best regards,

Lluís

Lluís del Cerro
VATSIM Senior Instructor

Catalonian Airlines

vatsim_5000h.png