Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

P3d number of downloads ?

Got a buddy that had a bunch of pc problems and because he had to reinstall windows several times while trying to fix these problems  he also had to reinstall P3D several times. Last time he tried he got a message saying his number of downloads were up.

They said they would give him a new serial number but it could take several days. I wondered why they could not send out the number sooner. In FSX we could call and get a number right away if we needed more downloads. 

Anyway it has been several days and no new number has been emailed to my buddy. I know I would hate to be without the sim for any length of time. 

So be prepared for a wait if you exceed your downloads.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Because P3D is not a consumer product, they work to different support requirements and standards.

There was no reason for the license to expire if your friend had simply obeyed the instruction to uninstall P3D before messing with his Windows installation. Uninstalling will automatically suspend the license and the next reactivation does not count as a separate license activation, so it never expires. 

This has been common knowledge since P3D v1 days. The information is freely available in this, and other fora, as well as on the official support site.

Is your friend a victim of his own rashness I wonder ? With your experience I presume you advised him on the correct method of removing the sim and how long it takes to get a re-activation?

Anyways, nothing whatsoever we can do about it here.

Well common to who? I had no idea that this was the correct way. Geez I come here to learn and try to help someone and people like you come down on me like a ton of bricks. Please do not assume everyone knows what you know and be a bit more  understanding of others problems please. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Paul, it is a pinned topic at the top of this forum.

That's not the point, I missed seeing it so does that allow a post like the above? I am sure I am not the only one that did not know the correct procedure. The guy could have just pointed me to the sticky but instead unloaded on me.

it seems what they say about Avsim might be true but I have had some great advice and help here but also have had some post like the one above. 

I was only trying to help and the slam really sets me back. This is hobby not a life  or death situation, lighten up guys, please. 

• Upvote 1

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Thank you Glynn, 

If the advice is available, then the duty is to look for it, or advise where information may be found. Why have you not encouraged your friend to come here and take advantage of the learning ?

You seem to want to complain more than contribute, and that's fine - they say a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Especially if shared.

Now you know, so it's all good, assuming you've informed him.

Perhaps push him to read his EULA ?

Or view the FAQ's on the L-M official pages

http://www.prepar3d.com/frequently-asked-questions/

How can I transfer my license to another computer?

If you uninstall Prepar3D v2, before making hardware changes or before installing it on a different computer, your license will automatically deactivate and allow you to reactivate without contacting us. If you still get error 5013, please email licensing@prepar3d.com with a brief explanation and your license ID.

Why can I no longer activate after I have reinstalled Prepar3D, updated software, updated hardware, or installed Prepar3D on a new machine? I am getting error 5013 when trying to install. What do I need to do?

Depending on the license you have, it is likely that you have reached the limited number of activations for your specific license. While the licensing software does recognize that the installs are being done on the same computer, if enough of the computer’s information changes (operating system, external hardware, graphics cards, etc.), it will flag your setup as a different computer. If you need an additional activation, because of a hardware change or you are moving the license to a new computer, please e-mail licensing@prepar3d.com with a very brief explanation of the reason you need your license reactivated, along with your license ID and invoice number, and we will be happy to get you squared away in under two business days.

• Upvote 1

And again I get the lecture,,,,

My buddy is 83 years old. I talked him into getting P3D and have been helping him get setup and running.

I will inform him of the correct procedure when I see him later today. 

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

And again I get the lecture,,,,

My buddy is 83 years old. I talked him into getting P3D and have been helping him get setup and running.

I will inform him of the correct procedure when I see him later today. 

No, please don't thank me. Wouldn't want to break a habit. 

And are you sure you are the best person to be advising him?  And what, exactly, will you be advising him?

We would be advising him to look at the date on his email and the address it was sent to. If it's more than two working days it will be worth sending another email to the correct email address. As well as checking his spam filter. He should use the same email address as the one used to create the account for the purchase.

Anyway it has been several days and no new number has been emailed to my buddy. I know I would hate to be without the sim for any length of time. 

So be prepared for a wait if you exceed your downloads.

Just to clarify some terms, it is not "downloads" being limited, it is "activations". Each license* allows one, and only one "activation."

L-M's activation server keeps track of things, and the "activation reset" is done automatically provided P3D is uninstalled correctly. Should this not occur, then a "manual reset" must be done via email request, and this may take up to two business days. L-M is closed on Saturdays and Sundays.

You mentioned that your friend uninstalled and reinstalled several times, apparently without any problem. It was only the last attempt to reinstall that failed activation. This implies that the previous times he did "uninstall" P3D properly.

*Note: the exception to the above is the "Developer's License" which has two allowed "activations."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well common to who? I had no idea that this was the correct way. Geez I come here to learn and try to help someone and people like you come down on me like a ton of bricks. Please do not assume everyone knows what you know and be a bit more  understanding of others problems please. 

I completely agree with Paul,  when i started using P3D i didn't know an exe from from a Shaders files.  It can be daunting enough trying to get everything running smooth and then half afraid to ask a question for fear of anger replies.   

Paul,  I "found" this fantastic Tutorial with big pics on the proper procedure for a complete Uninstall,    before using please read the complete thread.   

http://www.avsim.com/topic/475951-uninstalling-prepar3d/

Most times  it is easy just to be nice... :wink:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Many times it pays to not have "thin skin" and realize that especially on an international forum not everyone has the same English language skills, or the same level of "interpersonal people skills..."

I deliberately choose to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and not take offense at mere words, especially if my question was answered correctly. After all, it costs me nothing at all to remain polite, and I can remain content for having behaved as a gentleman. :hi:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator