Hi community,

Recently, I have had something very unusual happen with FSX on my computer.

A couple of nights ago, I reinstalled FSX for probably the fifth or sixth time this year. Over that time, I have also installed a stack of add-ons, as I have been a tester at times.

I completed a fresh install of FSX and acceleration two nights ago. When I ran the sim, all seemed to be fine, then about 2 minutes in, things started to lock up, frame rates dropped to about 4fps, and it dropped out to a black screen. There was a message in the system event logs relating to an NV7 failure. I do not have the log now because I'm at work.

The thing is, I've never overclocked my card or my CPU, and Nhancer claims that the temperature of the card is sitting at around 30 degrees Celsius. My case was a little dusty, but I've vacuumed that out, and I brought the card into work today to clean. When I googled the error message, somebody on a forum stated that this was a driver issue, and that they had to reinstall Windows. I have to admit that after so many changes to my system, my Windows 7 is *probably* a bit of a mess.

So, has anybody else on these forums ever had a similar error? My card is reasonably clean, and my computer has a 680 watt PSU to drive it.

SPECS:

i5 3760k not overclocked (Haswell)

ASrock H55m Mobo

8Gb RAM

1x128Gb SSD (OS)

1x128Gb SSD (For FSX)

1x 4Tb WD Caviar Black

GeForce 660Ti 2Gb

Many thanks,

Andrew.

Its basically a process of elimination.  Personally i would reinstall my Nvidea drivers again and eliminate that first.      

To uninstall your drivers,  download this program     http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Open the folder.  You will see this.  Right click and Run as Administrator

22811263185_df64c8e671_o.png

Run in safe mode.  Your computer will restart 

22811184365_fca69954f5_o.png

Click red arrow.  Your computer will restart  

22188444594_a5ae590eec_o.png

Then run Ccleaner (free version) this will clean anything left over.  Run Cleaner and Registry    https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

22393025207_a8ec76f665_o.png

Install latest Nvidea Driver.   Run the Installer as Administrator and add it to your Exclusions Zone in your Ant virus Software.  

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

That's the first step of many different first steps.  Its the quickest first step though to eliminate. 

• Upvote 1

You may want to roll back to an older driver that you know for certain, works with your card. The last 2 updates from nVidia have been problematic on my system. A reinstall of version 355.82 has solved my issues. Just an idea, that may work for you.

And the steps outlined above are excellent advice, by the way.

regards, Craig

• Upvote 1

You may want to roll back to an older driver that you know for certain, works with your card. 

Very true Craig