Hey,

So, I'm wanting to eek out a few more FPS from X-Plane + P3D V3 and I've been thinking of updating a couple of areas in my computer.

Currently:

- 3470K (OC'd to 4.5Ghz)

- GTX 970 4GB

- 16GB Corsair 1600mhz ram

Would it be worth my time updating the CPU and ram to something more modern? Or given that I have a stable OC at 4.5ghz, will I really notice much change?

Cheers

Hi Conrad,

Im no expert, but id say your CPU speed is fine, 4.5GHz is a decent speed for P3D I believe. 

Your GPU also looks fine, and it's 4GB which is the minimum now really, you may squeeze some more fps out of a newer GPU perhaps now v3 puts more onto the GPU. 

Are the simulators on a SSD? Although I'm not sure what impact this has on fps (none I don't think) , but it will load the simulators faster. 

Adam

You could upgrade your ram to some 2133-2400 mhz speed and gain another 3-4 fps. If it's worth it to you.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Its not just about frequency, it's also about CPU efficiency. You would notice an improvement in my opinion. However, it obviously depends on how much you are prepared to spend on an upgrade.

Its not just about frequency, it's also about CPU efficiency. You would notice an improvement in my opinion. However, it obviously depends on how much you are prepared to spend on an upgrade.

Well that's very true. 

Conrad, whats your performance like currently?  If its bad, well then you might have a problem with one of your components.   Your system looks fine.    If your happy enough but want to gain more you could spend 700 Euro on a new Gpu and maybe gain 8/9 Fps.  I guess it all depends on either diagnosing a fault with your system or spending a lot to gain some Fps.    

Personally, I think the 970 is perfectly fine. I run one myself so I might be a little biased but they also overclock very well and are able to nip at the heels of the 980. Faster RAM would be an option but probably won't yield a big difference. If you're willing to upgrade the CPU, Skylake would possibly give you the increase in performance that you're looking for. Your clock speed is there but I think Martin is right, it's about efficiency as well.  But the problem with this route is that you're looking at a whole new build. So me and you are in the same boat.. There's only so many things we can do to our current systems to upgrade them. 

I upgraded to a 970 last year and recently purchased two Samsung SSD Drives that will make their way into my new system when I decide to pull the trigger. 

For me, I'm planning on:

i7-6700k 

16GB DDR4 

2x Samsung 250GB EVO 850 (currently own)

Mechanical HDD for Storage

Gigabyte 970 G1 (possibly a 2nd one in SLI)

Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z170 Board

Sorry for the late reply! I generally get a solid 30 FPS, somewhat a bit variable around some airports like YSSY/EGLL etc - but generally above 25.

So the main issue I suffer from, is blurriness in P3D. I think this picture from my most recent flight sums it up, after a 3 hour flight. It wasn't as bad as this on departure from YSSY, but it wasn't exactly great there either.

• NZAA (default scenery all round, no mesh etc).
  • Only Tweak in CFG = AffinityMask.
  • P3D on a SSD
  • System has a 980ti in it now (X-Plane loves it).

Any ideas what could be causing this?

blurr.png