Sign in to follow this  
motoadve

How to make the Saitek Cessna trim wheel work with Prepar 3D v3?

I disconnected it.

It will crash Prepar 3D, and freeze the PC.

Even if unselected from the sim controls and using FSUIPC or viceversa.

Windows 7

Any ideas?

Plug it in after you have started the Sim, if it's plugged in when you boot the computer it will either crash the sim or not work.

I plugged mine into the Yoke and so far so good but lots of people are having the same problem as you are, I did.

Same problem here.  If I unplug it or reboot with it plugged in, it freezes the system independent of P3D.  Works fine if it is plugged in after the system has been rebooted.

On the other side of the coin I have never, at least to my memory, had it directly freeze or crash my system.  I have had it not correctly been recognized whereby I go into FSUIPC and give the wheel a few spins until FSUIPC catches then... then no issue.   But as of late with P3Dv3 I have not even had to do that.

Just pointing out the above issues do not affect everyone.  Good luck on solving your issues.

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Yes same here it crashes and a system freeze occurs, I just make sure the Saitek trim wheel control panell is open and spin until it becomes active then start p3d, all ok until I do a system test art.

Bob

Are you running Saitek drivers? If the system freezes it could well be that those are the culprit. I don't install drivers (they don't add anything for me that I'm interested in) for my controls and never had any freezes or problems with either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. 

(I do have the trim wheel)

+1 for Harry's comment. I didn't install driver. No freeze with trim wheel.

No drivers here....but the freezes do happen.  Its not a huge deal as I usually don't have to restart very often nor unplug it.  One headache I have seen in the past with it is if the controls are being programmed outside of P3D in something like an A2A control configure program (which recognizes the controllers by their number and not their name) then when you plug it back in after a restart, windows may assign it a new number and mess up all of your assignments in the control configure program

All I need to do is to spin the wheel once before I start P3D, listen for the Windows sound effect that tells me it has been recognised and then start the sim. It is fine then.

However, if I don't spin it first so that it is recognised, then use it after I start the sim, It will freeze and the only way out is to restart my computer!

Stuart Furley

All I need to do is to spin the wheel once before I start P3D, listen for the Windows sound effect that tells me it has been recognised and then start the sim. It is fine then.

However, if I don't spin it first so that it is recognised, then use it after I start the sim, It will freeze and the only way out is to restart my computer!

Yep, still have to do that. did remove the drivers but still the same.

bob

If any of you have the Saitek Yoke , plug it in its hub...no problems at all...

Jorge

I never had a problem with Windows 7.

With Windows 10, the only way to prevent the freezes is to connect the wheel after booting up, and not disconnecting it before shutting down.  I use a USB hub with power switches so I do not have to physically unplug the wheel repeatedly.

Saitek has been ridiculously slow with developing Windows 10 drivers, but the Windows 7 drivers were always fine so I am surprised you are having problems.

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

Barely worked in fsx on windows 7 - hardware short coming - gave mine away had enough of that nonsense 

Rich Sennett

Trim wheel: no drivers installed. Have to remember to spin wheel a few times to dis/reconnect after starting windows and before starting P3D. Same experience as Stuart. Throttle quadrants and rudder will not work without drivers installed.

Does anyone know whether or not Saitek is going to update drivers for their pro flight and cessna gear. Last I looked, it appears they've only done their high end stuff.

Hello !

It seems that the last winsows 10 's update (1511)  had corrected this bug. It's ok for me =)

i9 13900K    HT off 32 Gb DDR5 @ 7.6  Ghz CL36 Asus Apex HERO Z790  W11 64 bits pro sur Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To,  DCS, P3D5 et MSFS sur 2 ème   Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To , RTX 3090 OC (GPU 2Ghz)  Alim Corsair 1500 W  Gold Ecran ACER  28 pouces  4K  G-SYNC
WC  AIO ARTIC liquid freezer II 420 Boitier Gigabyte 3d mars