Sign in to follow this  
Demious

How to install into P3D2.5

I'm very close to deciding to go back to P3D2.5, the only thing holding me back is the PMDG 737, because I recently bought it and I've never seen it's performance in P3D2.5. My guess is that it would work fine on my system, but I want to be sure. The problem I'm running into, however, is that the 737 version I have is fit for P3D v2 and v3, but when v3 is installed, it passes v2.5 and automatically goes to v3.

I uninstalled it from v3, but how do I get it installed into v2.5 without having to undo the whole P3Dv3 installation, in case I will keep v3?

Cheers!

Maarten

I uninstalled it from v3, but how do I get it installed into v2.5 without having to undo the whole P3Dv3 installation, in case I will keep v3?

From an earlier post about the installers:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/475546-28sep15-prepar3d-v3-approach-clearance/

1) All currently released PMDG products for P3D are already compatible with v3.0: 

We need to update our installers so that they recognize v3.0 during installation, and we hope to have this accomplished on Tuesday or Wednesday.  (We will post an announcement here when that has been completed!)

The new installers will check to see if you have v3.x installed.  If you do, then they will install for v3.x.  If you do not, then they will install for v2.x.

To keep everything simple, you will not be able to install for BOTH v2.x and v3.x at the same time, unless you understand the file structure and feel comfortable doing a copy/paste operation on your own.  (I cannot imagine why you would want to do this- but there you have it...)

We will update you here as we get the new v3.x compatible installers released.

EDIT:
Out of curiosity, why would you want to go back to 2.5?

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle. I read that post, but I must have overlooked that part.

Up until recently I've been flying 99% GA and P3D2.5 works perfectly fine for me, never had any real problems with VAS. But I've flown the PMDG 737 in FSX before, I know addons like this are VAS-heavy and therefor I thought to take advantage from P3Dv3. However, seeing that the same problem with addons is arising as we had at the start of P3Dv2... I'm not up for that only for a little VAS improvement, if I have enough with P3Dv2.5.

Maybe I'm spoiled from the music industry and gaming, where plug-ins/addons are often ready the same day an upgrade for a recording platform, or WoW is released, or soon (a week, maybe 2, or when there are problems, maybe a month in the worst case) after. And seeing that some addons, from which I read they were planned for updating for P3Dv2, still arent ready now we've moved to P3Dv3... I'll be happy with what P3Dv2.5 can offer me, if that means I can use what I've been building on for the past couple of years.

I've put too much time and effort in getting a smooth P3Dv2 with all my airports and scenery to start all over again if I dont absolutely need it and who knows, maybe, when I'm just done with building P3Dv3, P3Dv4 will be around the corner and all will start all over again... As it looks to me right now, I rather enjoy the fruits of my labor from the past 2 years for a little longer. ;)

Cheers!

Maarten

My thought exactly, why would you go back?  I hope it isn't because there are limited content for it because that is evolving.  Other than that, v3 is a big improvement over 2.5.  Then again, that is opinion but from what I have read (and experienced firsthand), I wouldn't go back to 2.5.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

P3Dv4 will be around the corner and all will start all over again...

Ever wonder why LM began telling developers in P3Dv3 to begin installing their stuff outside of the P3D directories...?  :wink:

(In case you're not following: having stuff installed externally means that you won't necessarily need to re-install things on each change.)

I'm no huge P3D supporter, but I have to give credit where credit is due: v3 takes the cake. Your time invested in getting it set up likely won't be wasted. To each, their own, though. Totally up to you.

Kyle Rodgers

Guest JustanotherPilot

Demious,

Don't go back...the future is forward! Prepar3D is evolving, so of course there are going to be some glitches and  faults with v3 causing people some concern,I include myself in that category, but they are fixed and improved with a new update. Rremember back to Prepar3d v1, which wasn't all that long ago, now look at v3, and look at all the improvements that have been made in such a short time. Compare FSX over it's development life, I think there were only four changes Sp1, 1a and 2 and you could include  Acceleration. Could be more, could be less, you have to agree that is  not many updates over it's history.

If you are undecided ,have parallel installations of v2.5 and v3. I have this, whenever I have the urge to fly or use an addon that isn't v3 ready as yet, I use 2.5, but as the v3 comparability list grows, I'm using v2.5 rarely these days.

Have a rethink of scrapping v3, it's better to have it installed and not use it than not having it installed and wanting it.

steve

Ever wonder why LM began telling developers in P3Dv3 to begin installing their stuff outside of the P3D directories...?  :wink:

I thought I did understand, but after seeing that several updated addons are installing inside the root folder, and dont have an option to change directories, I'm not sure if I actually do...

In case you're not following: having stuff installed externally means that you won't necessarily need to re-install things on each change.

I've learned from the time I worked in several studios, to do  clean installation of Windows, regularly. With Win95 that was every month, with Win98 we did it every 2 months and I know Windows has gotten a lot better, but I still, after a period of time I start seeing things where I still like to do a full reinstall, if only for my own peace of mind. So I still do a complete reinstall from Windows up, every couple of months. And it´s something I mostly like doing, so I dont mind if an update needs a full reinstall. And yes, I know there are lots of people who disagree with me, but like already said, to everyone their own, and due to my autism I am different and dont ask me why or how, working with computers, among others, also seems to work different for me. And I know I´m a strange guy, you can even call me crazy if you want and in most situation I will fully agree with you, but time after time it has been proven that my way works best for me... And dont think I havent tried every other way I could find. :Tounge:

And dont get me wrong, I do recognize the all the improvements in v3 over v2.5 and I´m not saying there´s anything wrong with v3, but thing is, I´ve been working on P3Dv2 for so long and had to spend a lot of time I wanted to fly, on working on my sim and the last months it finally turned around and have been flying a lot more. And with everything around updating again, I notice it starts frustrating me quite a bit and right now, I just want to start my sim and fly and P3Dv2.5 does that for me and P3Dv3 doesnt, at this time. Maybe development from addons will catch up soon and I´ll be switching to P3Dv3, but maybe it takes some more time and who knows what can happen. So for now, I simply would like to enjoy what I´ve got and what works fine for me and not be thinking about keeping up, constantly checking forums and fixing bugs and so forth... And I´m not sure, at this moment, I´m still considering my options. Maybe I´ll make the change to v3 in a year, or maybe I´ll do that when v4 comes out, or who knows... maybe I´ll get bored when I´ve got nothing to build on in my sim and I´ll be at it again next week, or next month....

I´ve been trying to fight my autism, and with that myself, for years, trying to be like everyone else and do things like everyone else, but with time I learned that I can better be the strange dude in a ´normal´ world and take things as they come and do it as works best for me - which is most likely the exact opposite of what works best for everyone else :Tounge: - and just accept it. It made my life a lot less stressful. :wink:

Have a rethink of scrapping v3, it's better to have it installed and not use it than not having it installed and wanting it.

I´m not sure about asking a refund, or just uninstall, but not having it on my computer wont tempt me as much of going at it again, then when I leave it in plain sight. :wink:

Cheers!

Maarten

I thought I did understand, but after seeing that several updated addons are installing inside the root folder, and dont have an option to change directories, I'm not sure if I actually do...

Developers not taking advantage of this doesn't mean that the capability does not exist. It might not be worth it for aircraft developers, but since a lot of scenery doesn't need an actual update between the platforms, rather simply an installer aware of the location, the MASSIVE scenery downloads and installs is a large enough benefit. At least in my eyes.

I've learned from the time I worked in several studios, to do  clean installation of Windows, regularly.

I used to do that back in college, but yearly. Since then, I stopped because it was primarily pointless unless there was some showstopping error, or terrible performance, but the latter can be helped by good stewardship of the computer/system/server. Monthly is excessive to me. What studio was suggesting this? If that were true, servers would not have uptimes of years because people would have to take them down even more often than a user system due to their increased use, all due to this black magic, butt dyno assertion (that is rife in this community).

Kyle Rodgers