Sign in to follow this  
motoadve

Has anyone upgraded from a GTX 780 to a GTX 980 Ti

I got a lot more frames from 750ti to 980ti.

From about 15 -20 now 30 -60 depends on the Situation

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

I would rather get a second 780, and run it in SLi :) Was looking into swapping my 980 for 980ti, but landed on 2x980 in SLi. Works a charm, but P3D (unlimited) with SGSS is still able to melt both of them in heavy clouds..  :Pig:

I am running two 970 in SLI and its great! 

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Agree.   Small but not worth.  

Elaine, so you bought one?   I'm thinking of upgrading from a GTX680 2 GB, to the 6GB GTX 980Ti....since the prices have stabilized to a lower point.  Right now, though, I'm just suffering through analysis, paralysis...doh!

Looking at an Asus, or an EVGA product....and I wonder if prices are going to drop more aggressively, towards the start of the Xmas buying season...

Elaine, so you bought one?   I'm thinking of upgrading from a GTX680 2 GB, to the 6GB GTX 980Ti....since the prices have stabilized to a lower point.  Right now, though, I'm just suffering through analysis, paralysis...doh!

Looking at an Asus, or an EVGA product....and I wonder if prices are going to drop more aggressively, towards the start of the Xmas buying season...

I'm also waiting for the prices to come down a little, Im lead to believe looking at the comparison charts regarding performance, the Asus Strix is one of the best 980Ti's closely followed by the MSI 980Ti.

I may go for the MSI one myself, as its slightly smaller and slightly cheaper. 

Adam

Yes Mitch i bought one a while back. The cheapest i could get mine delivered to Ireland (fast post) was 800 Euro.   You see i didn't notice a big difference with P3D or X-plane because i was coming from a powerful 4 gig card already,  But you will certainly notice a very nice difference coming from a  Gtx 680. 

These benchmarks are not exact but you get the picture.  

This is my old card the Gtx 690 and your current card the Gtx 680

22440853699_9872afec32_o.png

So as you can see the the Gtx 690 was a pretty powerful card.   Like i said you will notice a considerable upgrade going to a Gtx 980ti.    Go on Mitch treat yourself  :smile:  

This is when i begun my journey,  sure you know me, i love to ask questions and the nice folks on this thread were kind enough to accommodate me  http://www.avsim.com/topic/473442-gtx-980-ti-which-one-though/

I'm going from 2 680s in SLI to a single 6gb 980 TI.  The superclock / memory is way higher.  I have become addicted to a 55" curved OLED running at 4k native and have started to notice the 680s cranking up.  I heard that the 980 is silent.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127908

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

1. The increase in FPS in "normal conditions" with no clouds is minimal

2. Meanwhile with SGSAAx4 set via NVI I'm able to have a perfect AA with no FPS loss as it used to be with 780

3. The main benefit point - ability to fly through unlimited layers of overcast with almost zero loss in FPS. With 780 I was getting 10-12 FPS in 10-layers overcast, now it 23-25.

Bottom line - I upgraded and I'm totally happy. Think about the weather conditions that EGLL recently has had and you'll understand why I'm happy 

G-YMML1,

Just curious if you use a single 980TI or two 980TI in SLI mode?

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

I'm also waiting for the prices to come down a little, Im lead to believe looking at the comparison charts regarding performance, the Asus Strix is one of the best 980Ti's closely followed by the MSI 980Ti.

I may go for the MSI one myself, as its slightly smaller and slightly cheaper. 

Yes...my due diligence, has also had me looking at the ASUS.  :)   

Yes Mitch i bought one a while back. The cheapest i could get mine delivered to Ireland (fast post) was 800 Euro.   You see i didn't notice a big difference with P3D or X-plane because i was coming from a powerful 4 gig card already,  But you will certainly notice a very nice difference coming from a  Gtx 680. 

These benchmarks are not exact but you get the picture.  

This is my old card the Gtx 690 and your current card the Gtx 680

22440853699_9872afec32_o.png

So as you can see the the Gtx 690 was a pretty powerful card.   Like i said you will notice a considerable upgrade going to a Gtx 980ti.    Go on Mitch treat yourself  :smile:  

This is when i begun my journey,  sure you know me, i love to ask questions and the nice folks on this thread were kind enough to accommodate me  http://www.avsim.com/topic/473442-gtx-980-ti-which-one-though/

Thank you VERY much, Elaine....most helpful...and yes...I will be going for it. I have been very happy with the GTX680...so I can only imagine, as you show here...the difference for myself at least. I will be staying with my present CPU, so...the card will be the one to show any more system performance over all my sims.  Thanks again for the comeback, most helpful!

Mitch

G-YMML1,

Just curious if you use a single 980TI or two 980TI in SLI mode?

a single one

I made the transition from a GTX 770 to 980ti @ 4970K. You will notice the difference and the higher FPS mainly in bad weather with lots of clouds. Certainly worth it. Runs butter smooth even at 4xSGSS/NI. Of course you will not see that much difference at good weather with blue sky... All depends on the settings and weather.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I do practice lots of IFR in Prepar 3D,and performance is not great but not terrible (most of the time) but where I see the worst performance is in decent and good weather over ORBX Seattle area.

Will it help in this situation?

Win 7

i7 4770 @ 3.5

GTX 780

where I see the worst performance is in decent and good weather over ORBX Seattle area.

Will it help in this situation?

Not likely. In major urban areas it is almost always the CPU that can't keep up, not the graphics card.

You could try to use performance monitoring software like MSI Afterburner or GPU-Z to check what's affecting performance in those situations. It will be quite obvious if it's the CPU or the GPU. And if it's not the GPU, then there will not be any benefit from upgrading it.

As reported i have GTX970SC SLI but havent used it that much. Tried with DSR 4.0 and 33% smooth today and performance is really good even with MSAA X 8.

Now i fly alot out of EKCH made by Flytampa and know how the performance there pretty well.. Performance is amazing and latest V3 intallers has given me 10% more fps. 52-53 fps at gate A20 with the ngx with very high settings but only 5% roadtraffic.

Before i also had the GTX 780SC and i would say the performance is only 10% better but AA x 8 instead of 4. SLI is another story.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Downloaded MSI Afterburner .

Flew around Seattle area.

CPU #1 runs at 100% when using Prepar 3D

The other CPUs a lot lower.

GPU usage 70% 

Does this means the CPU is the bottleneck?

Win 7

i 7 4770 @ 3.5