Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

How to replace DVD reader/writer optical drive?

My DVD drive on tower PC game computer went bad. It will not read half the DVD's that it used to read just fine.

These DVD discs still read perfectly on an old laptop I also own.

Anyways the old DVD drive is Samsung riteMaster and windows property says "Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 ATA Device".

Is it just a case of unplugging the old drive and plugging in the new, or are there other steps to install it?

Are the ATA drives in this link (Amazon) all the the type that should work?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ata+dvd+drive

My system is Windows 7, i3 c.p.u. Sandy Bridge overclocked and water cooled to 4.3 Ghz, and ti 560 4 GB video card.

A decent 4 year old game system which runs FSX very well.

I'm not used to doing interior work on computers, but I think this should be fairly easy?

Thanks.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I see no problem with just removing the old on and replacing it with a new one as long as you note the connection types in relation to your board.  Btw, your link doesn't work, or rather, there isn't a link to click on.  Windows 7 won't have any trouble installing the drivers for it once it is installed.

Don't be afraid to open up the case...it's how I learned computer hardware long, long ago.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I presume an ATA drive works with a SATA cable? 

So that ATA and serial ATA are the same thing?

Thanks.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

You will need to look at the physical drive and look at the connections and cables to determine what you have and then you know what to buy.  Take a look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

OK, did that. My old one isSATA. I just hope the new one has screws that are the same. Looks like it will be easy. Thanks all. !

Keep the screws, in case you don't get any with the new drive.  Keep in mind that these days, hardware has default designs for installation.  For instance, 3 1/2" HDD have screws that set in place into the hard drive cages in desktops.  Some desktops have rails, but the hole placements are the same.  For DVD & CD drives, the same applies.  I tend to keep screws from anything I disassemble or replace because you never know if you are going to need them.  When you replace this drive, you will realize really fast how easy it is.

Btw, you can always go the quicker way and buy a USB powered drive and the beauty of that is that it can be disconnected and reconnected at any time.  I have one for my laptop, as my laptop didn't come with one.  Once you hook it up, Windows recognizes it instantly and you're good to go.

-Jim

My Dell drive went bad as well,  for me i just opened up the case and there was 2 clips holding in each side, pushed them in and the complete drive just popped out, plugged in the new one and that was it.   I usually take a picture of something before i take it apart,  it might sound silly but works a treat.   

I got it installed easy enough and worked well . I do not know why they did not include two screws so I use the old ones. 

I have another question. The two wires (SATA and power) that I hooked up to the DVD drive: Would those same wires have worked to plug into a hard drive there instead of a DVD drive?

I got it installed easy enough and worked well . I do not know why they did not include two screws so I use the old ones. 

I have another question. The two wires (SATA and power) that I hooked up to the DVD drive: Would those same wires have worked to plug into a hard drive there instead of a DVD drive?

Yes, they would

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427