Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

[Beta Preview] A DC-6 Narrative

Correct. My hardware/software wasn't cooperating as I had wished. I'll probably stream more over time (got a new hi-qual mic and a hard line into my router for better stream speeds), but unless they're stellar shows, I doubt I'll leave them up.

Unfortunate, but understandable. I have yet to catch a live stream, so fingers crossed for a more acceptable video at some point in time.

You can, actually. You just have to enable the option in Steam. It's not simple, but as Austin notes on his site, if you can't figure it out, you might not want to do beta versions of software. This is relatively new, though. They originally didn't support the SE as a beta platform.

Just to clarify this so people don't buy steam because of false premises. :)

You CAN NOT access beta versions of X-Plane on steam.  What you can do however is opt in for the betas in steam and you will receive Release Candidates (RC)

This is usually 2-3 weeks before stable, but in larger updates like 10.40 still a few months after Boxed or Laminar Digital Download customers get it. This will not change because it is too much work for Laminar to make two builds and distribute them on different plattforms. Also X-Plane on Steam is released through Aerosoft and they have to send each build to them and then they upload it and wait for it to get verified.

Regards,

Marcel Alesi

Just to clarify this so people don't buy steam because of false premises. :)

You CAN NOT access beta versions of X-Plane on steam.  What you can do however is opt in for the betas in steam and you will receive Release Candidates (RC)

This is usually 2-3 weeks before stable, but in larger updates like 10.40 still a few months after Boxed or Laminar Digital Download customers get it. This will not change because it is too much work for Laminar to make two builds and distribute them on different plattforms. Also X-Plane on Steam is released through Aerosoft and they have to send each build to them and then they upload it and wait for it to get verified.

A little semantic, isn't it?

Testing a release candidate would still be testing, to me at least. Either way, it really shouldn't be such a big deal.

Kyle Rodgers

A little semantic, isn't it?

Testing a release candidate would still be testing, to me at least. Either way, it really shouldn't be such a big deal.

Well i agree with you that for some people, including me, this isnt a big of a problem but in reality it caused quite a few angry people on the x-plane forums because they werent aware of it.

Because in reality it happend twice already since the steam version was released:  The new GPS (and alot of other stuff) in 10.30 was introduced in a beta 6 months before release. So there were alot of people posting about it on the forums and showing pictures, while steam users could just sit there and wait.  The same happend in 10.40 with the extended dsf and winds aloft. While it wasnt 6 months it still was 3-4 months of people with beta access that could use the feature while steam users where left out.

Quite a few people were lets say "not pleased" that they didn't know about this feature and would have chosen otherwise if they knew about it before. Thats the only reason I was so pendantic about that post :)  You should know how anxious people get when they can't get access to features while others can :wink:

Regards

Marcel Alesi