Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

Rain and dirt on windows

I've noticed on some You Tube videos the windows have dirt or rain drops. I tried a search but came up empty. How can I get that effect ?

Hi,

What kinds of planes did you see this happening on? Were they some of the FSX default aircraft, or downloadable planes?

I know I once had a freeware 737 that had raindrops (they were static) on the windshield when it rained.

Other than that, I'm not really sure how to get those kinds of effects either. 

hope I could somewhat help....  -Ethan

For updated 737 and 747 cockpits with working wipers and "rain effects" on the VC cockpit windows try

http://simviation.com//fsnd/Downloads.htm

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

In both FSX and P3d, that is a feature of 3rd party aircraft and not the sim. The RealAir Turbine Duke has the best windshield rain effect of any that have that feature.

The only ones with rain effects in the VC that I know of are:

PMDG J41

Realair Turbine Duke v2

FlySimware MU2 and the unreleased Lear 35

Just Flight Canberra PR9 has window fogging effect

Most of the rain-drop you see in other aircrafts is added with Sony Vegas.

Cheers :)

N.-

Maybe by using something like this, someday we might as well see dynamic weather effects on our aircraft. Until then, we're at the mercy of the developer and platform.

That was an April Fools Day joke.

Maybe by using something like this, someday we might as well see dynamic weather effects on our aircraft. Until then, we're at the mercy of the developer and platform.

I doubt that LM is going to add this capability to the sim, since it is really a feature that is highly aircraft specific. Each aircraft has such specific geometry associated with its glass areas that it is far easier to have 3rd Party aircraft developers add the feature. But maybe we will be pleasantly surprised if it shows up in the future.

It used to be an overall sim feature in FS9, but the performance hit was significant. It was subsequently dropped by ACES in FSX.

That was an April Fools Day joke.

I know that it was meant to be a joke, but if they could actually pull something like that off, I'll be first to buy it  :lol:

Everything in P3D is immersive until it starts to rain.

It can be implemented just no one chooses to spend development time on it. There are other methods that were made available to devs they just choose not to. It can be done via shaders instead of a 2d animation like was done in FS2004....

I doubt that LM is going to add this capability to the sim,

I didn't mean LM needs to personally make this feature available but as there was a significant performance hit with this in previous simulators, perhaps once P3D has been perfected to a level where there is scope for slightly more immersive features, then developers can take on the task and make it a reality. As I understand it, at the moment it's only being skipped out because of animation limits and of course the performance deterioration it induces.

Rain drops on the windscreen is one area in which X-Plane (as much as it has other limitations) really excels. I recall the FS2004 Flight 1 ATR had dynamic rain drops that were wiped away on the screen.

It's one area where FSX falls short, sadly. One section of our upcoming Q400 First Officer Training concerns winter ops, but the poor depiction of ice, snow and rain inside the sim makes it a largely theoretical exercise.

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

The only ones with rain effects in the VC that I know of are:

PMDG J41

Realair Turbine Duke v2

FlySimware MU2 and the unreleased Lear 35

Just Flight Canberra PR9 has window fogging effect

Add to that the Realair Duke B60 v2 and Ant's Trojan.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Whatever aircraft you choose, it needs the proper rain effects glass, and wipers to clear the rain/dirt off.

wipersandraineffect.jpg

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: