Sign in to follow this  
HamSammich

4K In P3Dv3 - It Kinda Rocks

Agreed on all of that, Rob.

As someone who's done a bit of ham-handed audio engineering, I know all about sampling, oversampling and the luxury of having more samples than, strictly speaking, you need. As soon as 8K and the processing power to handle it arrives, we'll all be down-sampling and filtering everything, safe in having "too many pixels" available throw away, as needed. Can't wait!

In the meantime, gonna save up for a second 980ti, to give cloudy flying a bit more headroom. A good idea, Rob?

Marshall

In the meantime, gonna save up for a second 980ti, to give cloudy flying a bit more headroom. A good idea, Rob?

Marshall

I'm running a dual 980Ti and 4K (55") monitor configuration.  Absolutely worth it.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

What DSR setting will give u 4K, I've been messing around with AA all week and I've found nothing that looks good and works good. Cheers!

4x 1080p

I would only get a second 980ti for SLI if you plan to use SGSS AA (at 4K you don't really need to) ... as it stands now in V3.0, SLI isn't much of a benefit ... maybe that will change in the future?

Cheers, Rob.

Rob , I see that there are now 50' 4K 60Hz TV's available.  Would you recommend these as monitors?

Erich, I've been using a 49" 4k 60hz for ages and it is definately worth it for the extra field of view.

Rob is that a hint or wishful thinking? :)

I'm hoping once 64bit arrives and I can turn things up again then sli might be more relevant.

Chris

I get a bit skeptical when it comes to TV ..because what they advertises is not what you get..a monitor with a display port 1.2 will get you 60hz .but a tv advertising 120hz may not get you 60hz with even 980ti and hdmi2.0. .For a flight simulator 30hz is good enough.but if u plan to use it for regular use the mouse lag is too much..always do a good research with respect to 4k tv to check if that model of TV can get you 60hz. Its a 4k monitor for me atleast for next two years until 4k 60hz TV is the norm

Erich, I've been using a 49" 4k 60hz for ages and it is definately worth it for the extra field of view.

Sounds good. Which make/model are you using Chris? Any anomalies as pointed out by Pankaj?

I currently have a GTX 970 card which is great. Would I need a Titan to run a 50inch 4k monitor?

For a flight simulator 30hz is good enough.but if u plan to use it for regular use the mouse lag is too much..always do a good research with respect to 4k tv to check if that model of TV can get you 60hz. Its a 4k monitor for me atleast for next two years until 4k 60hz TV is the norm

There shouldn't be any mouse lag at 30Hz, sounds like something is not configured correctly - nVidia drivers, TV options, or even your mouse itself -- wired or wireless? 

Made a quick video here at 30Hz using built in "mouse look" (aka hold spacebar down and move the mouse) ... very rapid motion with no lag at all and this is at 30Hz (graphics settings listed in video description/info).  For flight simulators you really don't need 60Hz nor 60 FPS.

All done and recorded in 30Hz:

970 works well for 4K also (that's what my test PC uses), but you may need to dial down a few graphics options but not too much.  

The physical size of the monitor is not relevant other than the monitors ability to update the display fast enough (but that's a 4K monitor spec, not a GPU spec).  Most 4K monitors are really native 3840 x 2160 (which is really UHD) and you always want to operate at the monitors native resolution.  Full 4K is 4096 x 2304, DCI 4K is 4096 x 2160 ... when purchasing a 4K monitor you need to check actual native resolution NOT what resolutions is supports ... these are very different.

Cheers, Rob.

The physical size of the monitor is not relevant other than the monitors ability to update the display fast enough (but that's a 4K monitor spec, not a GPU spec). Most 4K monitors are really native 3840 x 2160 (which is really UHD) and you always want to operate at the monitors native resolution. Full 4K is 4096 x 2304, DCI 4K is 4096 x 2160 ... when purchasing a 4K monitor you need to check actual native resolution NOT what resolutions is supports ... these are very different.

Cheers, Rob.

Noted Rob thanks.

I am considering whether it is worth upgrading to a 55 inch from a 40 inch at this stage, When I went from 30 inch to 40 inch, it was like going from small cinema to IMAX, so I suspect I know the answer

Erich

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-49UB850V

That is a link to the spec page of mine.

It displays colour at full 444 colour depth and the 60hz makes a huge difference when running other games, so if you are going to use it for things other than flight sim be aware. Most can't or certainly couldn't do this. I've had this for a year now, it was one of the first to truly do the above but I doubt it is even available any more. I'm sure there are plenty out there now that are better.

It transformed simming and gaming for me as I came from 3x 24" 1920x1200 which is a bit letter boxy even though you get slightly more at the sides although distorted. The extra vertical makes a huge difference. Definitely recommended.

Chris

Hello, i recently bought (5 days ago) a Samsung UE55JU7500T that is one of the last 4K Smart curved TVs from Samsung. It's a 55".

Now it can run Full color 4.4.4 at native resolution of 3840 x 2160 both at 30hz / 60 hz using a good HDMI 2.0 cable on my 980 GTX and I am very happy with the image quality and the immersion.. 

Rob, i am running it at 30Hz 444 in 4k fps unlimited vsync on, it is smooth but the Mouse move in the VC, it is not like yours.. it is a bit stuttered.. The rest it's lovely.

Only if on the TV i exit from the "gaming mode" and i turn on the "motion plus" option (that is available only when gaming is off..), the vc mouse look is extremely smooth like yours, and in this case it is all fantastic.. but it also add more input lag :sad: Not so much but i can feel it..

How do you feel on yours about input lag? Doyou have a sony if i am not wrong.?.

I chosed this TV because standing on the tests around the net, is one of the fastest with the less input lag on the market (21ms in gaming mode).

Now i came from an Asus Rog Swift using G-Sync and running at 144Hz (so vsync off) that was finally extremely smooth, and it was so so fast in response time from the yoke to the aircraft moving on the screen...

On my new TV i can feel a difference due to the input lag...Now what are your experience with that?

I use to fly with Ultralight and small GA planes, so i am  not using so much the autopilot and i was liking the feeling with the extremely low input lag from the Asus ROG..

Erich

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-49UB850V

That is a link to the spec page of mine.

It displays colour at full 444 colour depth and the 60hz makes a huge difference when running other games, so if you are going to use it for things other than flight sim be aware. Most can't or certainly couldn't do this. I've had this for a year now, it was one of the first to truly do the above but I doubt it is even available any more. I'm sure there are plenty out there now that are better.

It transformed simming and gaming for me as I came from 3x 24" 1920x1200 which is a bit letter boxy even though you get slightly more at the sides although distorted. The extra vertical makes a huge difference. Definitely recommended.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I will consider this

I would only get a second 980ti for SLI if you plan to use SGSS AA (at 4K you don't really need to) ... as it stands now in V3.0, SLI isn't much of a benefit ... maybe that will change in the future?

Cheers, Rob.

My observations at 4K differ a bit...I see a significant improvement in smoothness when using SLI, especially around clouds with complex airports and HD VCs.  If I can keep the GPU ute rate(s) to below ~85%, things stay very smooth...above that, microstuttering starts to occur.

Also, SGSS is still important with a larger display, even at 4K.  True, at 4K on a smaller monitor or longer viewing distance SGSS may be of little benefit, but the difference, especially with shimmer control, is very noticeable on a large screen up close.  It's really a function of the eye's ability to discern fine detail at the chosen resolution/range.  I'm using a 55" 4K Samsung UN55JS8500 at around 36-39" distance from eye to screen.  SGSS does make a difference at that resolution and range--more on some sceneries than others.

And FWIW, 444 at 60Hz works fine on this TV using a good quality HDMI cable.  My first (cheap and 12' long) cable caused problems...a 3' high-speed cable works fine.  I run P3D at 30Hz, however.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I'm using a 55" 4K Samsung UN55JS8500 at around 36-39" distance from eye to screen.  

I run P3D at 30Hz, however.

Hi w6kd, i have the samsung 55" JU7500... Are you using your tv in gaming mode and getting smooth or stuttered head movements in the cockpit? Or are you using the motion plus function without game mode ?