Sign in to follow this  
HamSammich

4K In P3Dv3 - It Kinda Rocks

Hi w6kd, i have the samsung 55" JU7500... Are you using your tv in gaming mode and getting smooth or stuttered head movements in the cockpit? Or are you using the motion plus function without game mode ?

Motion plus, standard mode.  Haven't experimented with gaming mode yet.  There's a tiny bit of lag...not really enough to bother me.  Rapid head movements stutter a bit, mostly due to using 30Hz refresh rate.  Normal slow panning is smooth, and scenery panning in turns is exceptionally smooth as long as I don't overload the GPUs (can happen with 4xSGSS and heavy clouds).

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Rapid head movements stutter a bit, mostly due to using 30Hz refresh rate.  Normal slow panning is smooth, and scenery panning in turns is exceptionally smooth as long as I don't overload the GPUs (can happen with 4xSGSS and heavy clouds).

Hi Bob ... to eliminate SimConnect latency induce from TrackIR and sense response times (assume you're using TrackIR) ... do the same test without TrackIR and use mouse look (hold spacebar and move the mouse) ... if you see no stutters or lag in mouse look mode then it's a TrackIR/SimConnect latency that you see, not because of 30Hz.

If you still see stutters/lag with mouse look then it's a CPU/GPU add-on performance issue.

This is all assuming Vsync = On and Triple Buffer = On and monitor at 30Hz.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob;

No TrackIR here.  Perhaps "stutter" is the wrong term here...what I'm talking about is the unavoidable stepping effect seen when translating the VC view across a large physical distance (and a large angle of view) in a short time.  In my case, with a 4 ft (123 cm) wide monitor, if I put the ADI in frame center, then pan quickly to the left so that the ADI moves from frame center to the right edge of the frame in a third of a second, at 30 fps that means the ADI image is moving 24 inches in the span of 10 frames, or about 2.4 inches (~6 cm) per frame.  That much physical movement at each frame change does not look entirely smooth.  Movies use motion blur in the frame (added during post-processing production) to mitigate this, but PC graphics that just involve displaying each frame independently are more affected.

One way around this would be to increase the frame rate above 30 fps...but the next step up for vsync goodness would be 60 fps...absolutely impossible at 4K resolutions.  So I'll accept the stepped motion during rapid panning for the smoothness I get when panning at much slower rates, such as with a fixed forward view in turns.  One interesting thing to ponder is how my TV's motion interpolation is affecting smoothness and lag.  It's entirely possible some of the smoothness that's aweing me right now is because the TV is doing inter-frame interpolation with its internal processor and smoothing out the interframe motion.  I haven't put the TV in game mode yet...but it is in "PC" mode, so I'm not certain how much post-processing is happening in the display right now.  Whatever it is, I really like it!

Cheers

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Rapid head movements stutter a bit, mostly due to using 30Hz refresh rate.  

No TrackIR here. 

Oh sorry, I assume rapid head motion indicated TrackIR.

Are you running RGB or YCbCr444 or YCbCr422?  

My Sony's TV options vary based on the color format I'm using ... I typically run RGB which will lock my Sony into single mode "Graphics".  In "Graphics" mode (RGB) I don't have the ability to set Smooth Gradation, Motion Flow, or CineMotion ... they are disabled and off by default.  In YCbCr those options become available to me, in my experimentation with them they do appear to slow motion panning artificially produce what you described as "stepped motion" and/or lag.

In the nVidia "Adjust desktop color settings" for "Content type reported to the display" I have it at "Auto-Select (recommended)" ... I did attempt to set Content Type to "Games" once, but as I recall output was not what I expected so I've left it at "Auto-select".

I'm also running about 4ft (49") but I don't see the stepped motion at 30Hz, don't see it at 60Hz either (so long as I'm over 60 FPS) ... but I do understand the math and I agree with speed of relative motion vs. frames produced to cover that motion ... and I am pondering why it seems so fluid to me on my monitor.  

Cheers, Rob.

>>My observations at 4K differ a bit...I see a significant improvement in smoothness when using SLI, especially around clouds with complex airports and HD VCs<<

Bob,

What I think I'll do is throw borrowed resources at the question. A friend's got a spare 980ti at her disposal. I know, she's a good friend to have. So I'll try it out and see how it performs in my setup.

Marshall

Hey guys, it's my experience that any motion options in your tv's picture settings should be turned completely off. All it is doing is adding unneeded processing to the image which can cause slight distortions or slight lag especially when there is fast motion happening on the screen. I work in the A/V world and we shut off all motion affects on every panel we set up.

For those with Samsung TV's the most accurate picture setting we have found to be:  Picture set to STANDARD, Sharpness level turned down to somewhere around 30-35 (default is 50), Color turned down a few points to somewhere around 45-48, Auto Motion option is turned off (this is found in Picture Options). That's pretty much it, all others settings are left as default. 

Some Samsungs have the "NATURAL" setting which also looks good and can be used as an alternate to STANDARD. you would still want to tweak the other changes as mentioned above.

This is all assuming Vsync = On and Triple Buffer = On and monitor at 30Hz.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob, i have a similar Bob's model tv from samsung, and i have those setting, and in the nvidia control panel i tryed both RGB / YCbCr444 or YCbCr422 and Full / limited range, but in any case at 30Hz, moving the head in vc with mouse it's like it is stepped or like it cause blur / vibrance ... 

If i set to 60Hz in a "light" area that i know that i can maintain 60fps instead, the head moving in the vc is fantastic.

So i am thinking it's because the 30hz

I have track ir and i have done some test using or disabling it, but with the same results..

Regards

Gianluca

My experience of smoothness and my settings with 4k are much the same. Although I believe I'm getting much improved visual quality @ 60hz without the micro stutters, despite that I am only in the 27 to 40 fps range.

78" Samsung UHD 4k Curved HU9000 - sitting 44 - 48" to screen

Monster hdmi 2.0

3840 x 2160 @ 60hz Color ycbcr444 , ODR Limited

Picture set to standard and motion plus -off

Win 10

TrackIR

2 x GTX 970's SLI

i7  6700k @ 4.8

DDR4 16GB

HT- off

Really thrilled. P3Dv3 and 4K ROCKS !!

Cheers

My experience of smoothness and my settings with 4k are much the same. Although I believe I'm getting much improved visual quality @ 60hz without the micro stutters, despite that I am only in the 27 to 40 fps range.

78" Samsung UHD 4k Curved HU9000 - sitting 44 - 48" to screen

Monster hdmi 2.0

Win 10

TrackIR

2 x GTX 970's SLI

i7  6700k @ 4.8

DDR4 16GB

HT- off

Cheers

It really does.  Love your 78' display.   Geez...

Hi Steve! Love me too your big screen!! :)

If you run at 60Hz and having a fps range from 27 to 40, how can you have a smooth experience?

Hi Rob, i have a similar Bob's model tv from samsung, and i have those setting, and in the nvidia control panel i tryed both RGB / YCbCr444 or YCbCr422 and Full / limited range, but in any case at 30Hz, moving the head in vc with mouse it's like it is stepped or like it cause blur / vibrance ... 

Hmmm ... interesting, I see none of that on my Sony at 30Hz.  Wondering if this is a Samsung issue or just a settings issue?

Hey guys, it's my experience that any motion options in your tv's picture settings should be turned completely off. All it is doing is adding unneeded processing to the image which can cause slight distortions or slight lag especially when there is fast motion happening on the screen. I work in the A/V world and we shut off all motion affects on every panel we set up.

Agree, with RGB format my Sony doesn't allow these motion options to be turned on.

Seems like a lot of folks have gone the Samsung route ... am I the only Sony user?  On paper the Samsung looks pretty good with it's specs so this "stepping" issue has me puzzled?

Cheers, Rob.

Hi all,

A quick question:

I have 3X ASUS 28" 4K (UDH) monitors w/ 3840 x 2160 native mode. Is a singe GTX 780Ti able to handle them or is SLI needed?

(I hope not as I'm not sure my wallet can take it)

TIA,

Michael

I am planning to upgrade to a 4K TV as a monitor.  I am looking at the 40" Samsung 6500.  My question is, I currently have a GTX 770 which I know will not do 4k, but how bad will the picture look if I run 1920x1080 and have the TV upscale (basically double) the resolution until I can budget the 980ti upgrade?

Thanks.

Jim

I'm don't yet know why I get what seems to be less micro stutters @60hz.

I've been taking advantage of Rob's published 4k settings, lowering a few sliders :smile: , also comparing 30 and 60hz.For my setup 30hz looks good but it seems 60hz is better. I could also imagine this might just be me!

I went with Samsung 4k for the curve and most importantly their One Connect Box. The idea is to allow a way to future proof the TV with the latest 4k features, like displayport 1.3, or HDR, simply by replacing the box.

I purchased this big screen a few months before getting my 970's. The gtx 670 I had could only do Win 8 desktop at 4K and play games and sim at 1080p. Gaming in 1080p looks okay at but 4K is really that much better.

Getting the TV first, shopping for the right spec, at the right price. Then getting the best graphics card or cards later worked for me.

Cheers

Steve

I am planning to upgrade to a 4K TV as a monitor.  I am looking at the 40" Samsung 6500.  My question is, I currently have a GTX 770 which I know will not do 4k, but how bad will the picture look if I run 1920x1080 and have the TV upscale (basically double) the resolution until I can budget the 980ti upgrade?

Thanks.

Jim

Hi Jim,what i can say is that if you plan to run at 1080p, you should buy a monitor / tv that runs natively at 1080p for few reasons...

First, a monitor that is native 1080p will look better that a 4k scaled at 1080p.

Second the interpolation from 4k to 1080p will add more input lag in addition of the existing one and it is non the maximum for gaming...

Today Tv's already have input lag, the best 4k (only for input lag) at the moment seems to be the Vizio M Series and P series and the Samsung JU7500 series  in gaming mode. The Ju6500 also has good input lag (standing of RTING, it has 26,5ms)

The best 1080p instead (always based on input lag) seems to be the last year Sony models, like the KDL42W705B, KDL42W653, KDL55W955B, KDL47W805A