Sign in to follow this  
glycoholic

Tutorial #2 UZ738 INVALID ENTRY

Hello,

I apologize if this has been answered previously, but I could not locate a similar issue here. On p29 of Tutorial #2:

Next we’ll enter the enroute portion of the route.

 Press LSK 6R to go to back to the RTE page 1.

 Press NEXT PAGE to get to RTE page 2, where we enter

airways.

 Enter the first airway, UZ738 into the VIA column at LSK 2L.

My FMC states INVALID ENTRY each time I try the step in the last bullet.

Can someone please let me know what I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

Josh Nice

My FMC states INVALID ENTRY each time I try the step in the last bullet.

It works fine for me. I don't think the AIRAC cycles would make any difference. When Ryan wrote this tutorial he was using 1108. I am using 1511. But UZ738 obviously works in either cycle. Try setting up the flight in the FMC using the NGX default as opposed to Cold and Dark or whatever you are using. This will save you the time of setting up the overhead panel and you can concentrate on the FMC. When you use the NGX default the plane will be at the end of runway 24. You will not have to mess with the IRS. It will already be in the FMC. All we want to do now is find out if the FMC is going to accept UZ738.

So I consulted a friend and he said it appears the airways in the latest tutorial .pdf (from Feb2015) have already changed and no longer exist in the latest AIRAC cycle, which came with my NGX that I bought a week ago. So, I'm going to have to do some other routes under the instruction of YouTube. Thanks again for responding.

Josh Nice

no longer exist in the latest AIRAC cycle, which came with my NGX that I bought a week ago.

If UZ738 was not in the AIRAC cycle that came with the NGX you should receive a message that says NOT IN DATABASE rather than INVALID ENTRY. UZ738 works in 1511 which is the current AIRAC cycle. What cycle is in the NGX that you are using? It will be on the IDENT page in the FMC.

So I consulted a friend and he said it appears the airways in the latest tutorial .pdf (from Feb2015) have already changed and no longer exist in the latest AIRAC cycle, which came with my NGX that I bought a week ago. So, I'm going to have to do some other routes under the instruction of YouTube. Thanks again for responding.

I understand that you bought it only a week ago, but if you think about it, it's not like we can have someone re-write the tutorial, recompile the installer, and upload it to the site 13 times per year. Nav data changes - it's just something that goes with the hobby. There are several sites out there that can offer up to date routes, and you can simply use the tutorial as a guide for the flight.

Full names in the forum please - first and last.

Kyle Rodgers

... it's not like we can have someone re-write the tutorial, recompile the installer, and upload it to the site 13 times per year.

Full names in the forum please - first and last.

Just how many lines of "amended text" would it take to correct this "critical to understanding the NGX", tutorial? What are we talking about, guys, a sentence? A paragraph?

Just asking,

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Just how many lines of "amended text" would it take to correct this "critical to understanding the NGX", tutorial? What are we talking about, guys, a sentence? A paragraph?

It's only a route string, but that route string would need to be verified against any picture that shows the route in the tutorial, among other things. It's much easier (and scalable) for people to use the tutorial as a template, and update the route as necessary.

Kyle Rodgers

Thank you for your help. I see how this happened now and am thankful for the prompt support from this forum, which supplements any gaps in outdated tutorial content.

Josh Nice

Just asking,

Chas

It's only a route string, but that route string would need to be verified against any picture that shows the route in the tutorial, among other things. It's much easier (and scalable) for people to use the tutorial as a template, and update the route as necessary.

Just asking,

Chas

Per Scandanavian, "It's only a route string,"

And just how hard is it to include a "route string" in an Errata

Errata Pg 29:

"VIA UZ738 to BDWPT"

change:

TO

"VIA UZ738 to GDWPT"

N.B. The screenshot on this page also depicts this error. Please make that note in your documentation.

Simply put that, as a pinned topic, in the official support forum. That puts this issue, which has been around for way over three years, to bed.

It doesn't take 13 of those because it's not going to change 13 times...And even if it did, the documentation owes the product it's fealty and faithfulness to the truth.

If it's to much trouble for PMDG to do this, I will, for the sake of our new brothers-in-wing, be happy to volunteer to keep the site updated regarding this error.

Certainly, you wish your 98% Wonderful documentation, to match PMDG's Steller 737NGX quality, yes? After all is not the documentation part of the product?

Chas

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Certainly, you wish your 98% Wonderful documentation, to match PMDG's Steller 737NGX quality, yes? After all is not the documentation part of the product?

I knew someone would pick up on the "only a route string" thing...

Again, remember that this has the potential to change 13 times per year. This would require someone's time to go verify that the current route string is valid for the AIRAC 13 times per year (even if it doesn't change, you'd need to know if you should be updating it or not). From there, if it needs updating, that requires someone to go build a compliant route, and one that fits the tutorial's purpose. In the case of Tutorial #2 for the NGX, you'd also have to verify that a compliant route will be compatible with the existing 'tricks' listed, or if you'll have to re-do that section entirely, and grab more screenshots. I could go on, but this process is a lot more complex than you're assuming.

I know it looks simple from the outside, but, please, don't make assumptions of difficulty without trying first yourself.

Kyle Rodgers

I knew someone would pick up on the "only a route string" thing...

Again, remember that this has the potential to change 13 times per year. This would require someone's time to go verify that the current route string is valid for the AIRAC 13 times per year (even if it doesn't change, you'd need to know if you should be updating it or not). From there, if it needs updating, that requires someone to go build a compliant route, and one that fits the tutorial's purpose. In the case of Tutorial #2 for the NGX, you'd also have to verify that a compliant route will be compatible with the existing 'tricks' listed, or if you'll have to re-do that section entirely, and grab more screenshots. I could go on, but this process is a lot more complex than you're assuming.

I know it looks simple from the outside, but, please, don't make assumptions of difficulty without trying first yourself.

Kyle,

As I said....I am willing to learn and help.

Chas