Sign in to follow this  
CavalierDuck

Canaries Cruise

Good one, Bert.  I never could learn to whistle like that.

Stew

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

I'll try and join you, but never having flown in company before I'll have to get TeamSpeak etc, and more importantly get ATC clearance from 'er indoors. In the meantime I'll practice my Silbo.

ps. My photo was taken from the helicopter landing pad at Playa de la Arena on Tenerife, with the cliffs at Los Gigantes in the background. The landing pad was often use to ferry casualties to the hospital at the other end of the island (the roads are terrible). I had one of the front apartments in the white block you can see.

Well, it looks like I'm going to need a lot of luck to fly with you guys tomorrow.  The new PSU didn't do the trick.  Conclusion now is that something major (like the mobo or CPU) is done, which means it's curtains for a 5+ year old machine.

I have a laptop that I'll try to install FSX on tomorrow (yes, I know the 11th commandment, thou shalt not sim on a laptop) and see if it runs worth anything but I'm not hopeful.

Now back to researching whether I'm going to build a new PC myself or buy something ready-made.  It's going to be optimised for FSX though, so should be a major step up from the old machine.  At least there's that to look forward to!

Sorry to hear it, Nick.  I agree with Ron...new machine in either case, self-build or ready-built.  I would go with self-build myself--saves money you can direct toward the components you really want and not pay someone else to build it for you.

Stew

Stew

Now back to researching whether I'm going to build a new PC myself or buy something ready-made.  It's going to be optimised for FSX though, so should be a major step up from the old machine.  At least there's that to look forward to!

Here, there are PC shops that will custom build to your specifications.  NCIX charged me $50 to put all the pieces together.

Money well spent IMHO..

If you can get a 4790K, and a GTX970, with 2 sticks of fast RAM, on a good motherboard.. you are pretty much there.

Especially if you can avoid Win10, and can find a copy of Win7-64  (which you may still have from your previous system..).

Bert

Especially if you can avoid Win10, and can find a copy of Win7-64  (which you may still have from your previous system..).

You echo the thought I had earlier this morning. Spooky!

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I plan on flying today. 

If Nick is unable to join us I suggest we postpone the Canaries Cruise until he is able to lead the tour.  

We can reprise a prior tour.  May I suggest that we fly Orbx Northern California Tour - Leg 6 with one modification, that we substitute the recently release Orbx KEKA for KACV.

Revised flight plan can be downloaded here

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Good fast thinking. (I put together a fast American Southwest flight from Sedona to the Grand Canyon to Telluride. We can do that one another time.)

Northern California, here we come!

--

PS. Jeff, do you want to start at Garberville (O16) as in the text or at Dinsmore (D63) as in the updated flightplan?

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Working on a basic FSX installation on a laptop right now.  On my last test just now I had found settings for a smooth and stable 30fps.  Now to try it with the photoscenery.....

--

PS. Jeff, do you want to start at Garberville (O16) as in the text or at Dinsmore (D63) as in the updated flightplan?

Good catch Mike, revised flight plan to start at Garberville (O16)

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

I assume we will be changing airplanes to reflect the new flight plan?  Or not?

Stew

Stew