Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

How do you spend your time on long-haul flights?

I seem to recall there was a similar thread some years back, but I can't find it.

I was 'inspired' to post here by this thread:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/477776-i-need-motivation-to-fly/

I wonder how other folks spend their time on long-haul FS9/FSX flights. Once you're at cruise altitude things go a bit quiet (well, yes, that's true of real-world too, I know!). So if you are flying London to Singapore, how do you spend the time? Anyone actually stay glued to the sim for twelve hours? Or do you just leave it running and go down the pub for that (not so) swift half? (I of course refuse, like any serious simmer, to increase the sim rate!!).

Ideas, novel or not, on how to fill in those lonely hours welcome. (Going to join IVAO & BA Virtual when I am back - maybe that will spice things up a bit?).

Martin

I have done only 1 long range flight with no time fast forward.  I did break it down into smaller segments by

using the "save" key and coming back to it later.  This TV show had better answers though!

https://youtu.be/Z2CJMiwACUY

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Yes, a botched landing, especially after long-haul - or equally, a CTD - puts me in a bad mood for at least a day!!!

Cant remember were i seen it,  but there was a chap telling a story about when he does long flights he gets his girlfriend involved by doing roll play,  he would be the pilot and she was the passenger, he would set the flight up and serve her food and drinks and so.  Through out the flight he would get her maybe a cover or pillow to rest. Also setting up an in flight movie lol   I thought that was brilliant. 

I rarely do flights longer than 1 hour

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have a desk job and find that flight simulation is the perfect hobby for it. I depart, climb to cruise level and then get a lot of work done until I initiate descent ;)

So in a way I stay glued to my desk, but my yoke has to move for my work :)

Peter

Thanks for that very useful contribution to this thread Ryan  :Tounge:

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Hehe maybe I should be doing more - I'd depart then set AP and go do chores / play with the kids, then do my approach hours later

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Well, I tend to fly short-haul too.

To answer my own question, if I do have long flights, I often watch real-world cockpit videos on the TV, or Air Crash Investigation - trying to keep 'on topic'! Watching 'Big Bang Theory' or something like that doesn't seem right somehow when I am supposed to be 'flying' passengers!

One great plane to fly long-haul is the great PSS/JustFlight Concorde. Not only is EGLL/LFPG to KJFK super-fast, but there's lots to do while you're getting the plane up to 50,000' and Mach 2 - and then back down again from Gander onwards! I'm a bit of a purist though when it comes to FS! I don't fly routes that real airlines don't fly - so no London to Bangkok or whatever for Concorde: airlines get deleted from my system immediately they become defunct in the real world! I suppose, in that case, I shouldn't be flying Concorde at all!! (Brings tears to my eyes sometimes: I'm old enough to remember its first commercial flight from Heathrow - I lived close enough to the airport to hear its take-off roar and then see it fly over my house (on Rwy27L/R departures!). Fond memories....).

I trend to fly longhauls almost every Saturday. During those flights I generally do the chores, read, cook dinner, and watch TV.

Marc ter Heide

I feel like such an amateur.  The most i would do is maybe, let the dog out to do his business or maybe make a milky coffee  

What do you guys define as "long hauls?"

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I only fly GA so I take along interesting people enroute to interesting places and events and we pass the time together. I have a handful who are not legitimately qualified, but still serve well in the right seat to watch for traffic and help me listen for ATC calls.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I also don't do long hauls. I do 1hr GA flights. I (sadly) get bored quite rapdly.

Years ago I did KJFK-EGLL in the stock 747, in 2-3 days (saving the flight).

Lastly I got some curiosity to start flying jets again. Something like the 737 or Q400. Common routes of my country. I don't know if its worth the money. I also do not have any scenery (only FTX full fat region).

Cheers :)

N.-