Sign in to follow this  
vietnamsutch

Please compare SID info (solved)

Hi

I have this problem with routing. I had this problem a couple of times with STARs in Europe and I thought it had something to do with my inability to read charts. However, I did some studying lately and I really cannot find the anything wrong with my reasoning. So please find some screenshots attached and compare them with your info if you would.

I'm especially interested in the TRUKN2 because that is the one I wanted to fly today. Not to be found in my PMDG FMC.  The chart info is from Navigraph.

Just some other important info. I have updated the PMDG Airac to 1511 and also installed the FSX Navaids update.

Thanks for your help.

Jan Walters

I just wanted to create this thread when I realized that the AIRAC I used wasn't from an official source. I had downloaded it a while ago before I even knew what it was. Anyway, I just used my Navigraph FMS Data manager and what do you know. Instead of 3 pages i now have 5 pages with SIDs. The one i was looking for is there now too.

This means that I have been flying the last 4 to 6 weeks with this old information. I really spend hours and hours figuring out approach charts, not knowing what i didn't understand. I think that my flying experience is about to get better. :-)

I didn't upload the pictures because they are of no use. The moral of this story: USE OFFICIAL SOURCES!

The moral of this story: USE OFFICIAL SOURCES!

In addition to using current AIRAC cycles, use current charts from Navigraph at https://www.navigraph.com/Subscription.aspx. There are a lot of charts on the Internet but I believe most of them are several years old and out of date and there is a good chance that some procedures on these charts will not match what is in the current AIRAC.

Hi pccubine,

Thanks for your advice. The charts I use must be the latest ones because I recently downloaded them. Every time I want to fly to a new airport, I have to download the new charts. I pay around 9 Euros per month and was about to cancel that subscription. That was before this issue. I just flew EHAM - EDDM and it was perfect with charts and plane. I might go for the yearly. Yes, you can get the charts for free, but I like the way it's setup and everything is so easy to find.

Brings me to one point. Those videos (tutorials) they offer at navigraph are a bit weird in my opinion. I would expect them to make some videos where they explain their charts and all the other info they offer. Instead, it's just a bunch of departures and arrivals. I was looking for a navigraph section on this website to ask this question yesterday, but I couldn't find it.

Anyone know something about this?

Brings me to one point. Those videos (tutorials) they offer at navigraph are a bit weird in my opinion. I would expect them to make some videos where they explain their charts and all the other info they offer.

This link explains the LIDO charts - http://www.asa-virtual.org/tapv/docs/understand_lido_charts.pdf. I don't watch the videos so I can't comment on them.

Brings me to one point. Those videos (tutorials) they offer at navigraph are a bit weird in my opinion. I would expect them to make some videos where they explain their charts and all the other info they offer. Instead, it's just a bunch of departures and arrivals. I was looking for a navigraph section on this website to ask this question yesterday, but I couldn't find it.

Anyone know something about this?

Not sure what you're asking here. Charts are an entire section in an Instrument Rating course, which you spend 40+ hours on, and usually spend about $300+. Granted, you can find a bunch of resources online, but I wouldn't expect a charting company to offer much more than a legend. Heck, Jeppesen doesn't have any tutorials on their site for their charts, either.

Check this out:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/FAA-H-8083-15B.pdf

Search (ctrl+F) for page 1-13. That's where you'll find a section on charts. After all the pictures (the one on 1-15 is the most important) is the textual description.

Full names are required in the forum here - first and last.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for the links guys. Just what i was looking for.

Jeppesen caters to real world aviation if I'm not mistaking. Would make sense that people using their charts will have had real pilot training including chart reading. However, I visited their website and found that they offer free weather webinars. Sounds interesting.

In my opinion, many simmers and potential customers of navigraph have no clue when it comes to charts. Why not just pull up a couple and go over them. I download some more videos today and saw that they actually using the charts and showing real life/sim applications. They must have spend quite some time making those videos. Jeppesen doesn't find it necessary to do anything with tutorials, Navigraph does. So what I'm saying is, why not make a few videos for the absolute novice.

There also seems to be a difference between the charts. I saw some videos on Youtube where people got stuck because the charts had a different layout but also content written in ways they didn't understand.

Anyway, I have what I needed :-)

Full names are required in the forum here - first and last.

I have sent you a PM about this on 22 October.

In my opinion, many simmers and potential customers of navigraph have no clue when it comes to charts. Why not just pull up a couple and go over them. I download some more videos today and saw that they actually using the charts and showing real life/sim applications. They must have spend quite some time making those videos. Jeppesen doesn't find it necessary to do anything with tutorials, Navigraph does. So what I'm saying is, why not make a few videos for the absolute novice.

Keep in mind that Jeppesen's revenue far exceed's Navigraph's, so their ability to produce/release content is much better. I do see your logic, though.

As far as 'differences' go, all charts will have slight differences, but they're all rather similar when viewed as a whole: they have a picture from the top, from the side, usually have the airport detailed somewhere, have a panel with the frequencies and missed approach instructions (written), and so on.

I have sent you a PM about this on 22 October.

I recall. That doesn't absolve you from having a signature in each post, however.

Kyle Rodgers

It makes sense indeed that charts would be pretty similar. But that is the problem with youtube tutorials. If you're a newbee, everybody else seems to be an expert.  It's great that I have the info that i needed. Everything is there to figure out the meaning of the content of the charts.

I recall. That doesn't absolve you from having a signature in each post, however.

Hahaha, I thought you meant something else. Signature done, sorry for that.