Sign in to follow this  
MrYorkiesWorld

Any Tools to Move P3D Installation to New Drive?

Hi guys,

I'd like to move my P3D installation to a new drive on it's own, and I know FSX does have it's own registry repair tool etc... However P3D as far as I know does not have a tool like this, so I have 2 options:

1) Find a way to move the installation to a new drive without corrupting everything

2) Just uninstall and re-install it onto the new drive

If there's a way to do the first option I'd really like to try, but would it just be simpler to reinstall? I do have a lot of addons etc that would also need to be re-installed etc etc...

Any advice guys?

Cheers!

-Yorkie

1: Cannot be done. The license will fail.

2: That's the way to do it.

While it might be nice to be able to say that addons will port, the fact is that some will, some won't. Others will, but with issues.

Better, by far. to just start from scratch.

Old : c:\p3D

New : x:\p3D

Cut and paste C:\P3D to X:\P3D

Then mklink /d "c:\p3d" "x:\p3d"

Then just try to launch it.

In case everything goes haywire, just delete the link at c:\P3D and cut/paste x:\p3D back to c:\p3D while searching for a new solution...

What is your current install location for P3D?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

On a seperate Ssd P:/  Moved it from a 250gb to a 500gb version.

Kevin Humphryes

What is your current install location for P3D?

Vic

Currently it is installed on my SSHD as D:\P3D, but wanting to install onto an SSD to increase load times etc...

-Yorkie

ok -  I'm assuming either you have the physical drive partitioned into C: & D: with C:\ being your boot drive or D: is an actual separate physical drive, it makes no difference. Clone the OLD D:\ to the new SSD. Using the disk management functions in windows, change the current D:\ drive letter to something not being used like X: - change the SSD to D:.

Typically right click My Computer and select Manage - select Disk Management - right click the D drive and  select change drive letter - change it.

Then right click the SSD volume and do the same, changing it to D:

You need to do nothing with the registry, etc as all will still be pointing to D:

When you are satisfied that all is well you can delete the OLD P3D install - do NOT UNINSTALL it or you'll remove the NEW copy.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Just use Acronis it's as easy as it gets. Just clone it to your new Ssd

Kevin Humphryes

Make a backup with FSCubed with things still in running condition on the current drive, then uninstall and/or deactivate any add-on software equipped with a license release mechanism (i.e. FSDreamteam, Flightbeam, PMDG), then uninstall P3D.  Make sure the new drive uses the same drive letter as the old, and the path to P3D is the same.  Reinstall P3D onto the target drive, restore the FSCubed backup, then reinstall the stuff you had to uninstall to release the license.

Restoring to a different drive from a HDD backup made with Acronis/OO DriveImage etc may cause some software copy protection to fail (including Windows itself) because the drive's physical device ID has changed.  Done as described above is almost as easy and should avoid most of the problems.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case