Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

Interesting RAM observations (Performance increased)

Did you actually understand, what I was writing? I wrote, that a socket 2011 (v3) System does not profit anymore as due to the Quad Channel, the bandwith is already at 51.2 GB/s with 1600MHz Modules. Now you are telling me, that a 4790K running on a 1150 profits from higher clocked RAM? Do you see the difference? YES, as I have written, with a Dual Channel CPU such as the 4790K, you will profit from higher clocks. But now look more closely to the results from SAAB340:

1. Running @stock clocks, he varies the RAM clocks from 2133MHz up to 3866MHz and sees a increase in FPS of 7% (clock goes up 81%!!!).

2. He then increases the RAM clocks even further to 4133MHz, but also increases the CPU clock to 4.3GHz, which provides him another 9% increase in FPS, which is basically 1:1 the increase in CPU clock (+8%).

3. He then compares FPS with a CPU clock of 4.7GHz: increasing the RAM clocks with this processor speed from 2133MHz to 4133MHz provides also 9% increase in FPS in total. BUT: you can clearly see, that the increase of FPS is biggest when he increases the RAM clocks from 2133MHz to 3000MHz (+7%) while the further increase from 3000MHz to 4133MHz only provides an additional 2%, clearly indicating a plateau.

Now, if we calculate the bandwith behind those numbers, you will see how right I was: 2133MHz provides you with 34 GB/s in Dual Channel (as I wrote...), 3000MHz provides you 48 GB/s and 4133MHz finally provides you 66 GB/s. That's a wonderful example, why you do not profit that much when you increase your RAM speeds on a Quad Channel system where 1600MHz already provides you 51.2 GB/s. This and nothing more I said.

PS: if we take a even deeper look into the results from SAAB340, we see that he does not keep the CL (latency) constant. This further modifies the result and you should be aware of. For example: he uses his RAM with a CL15 (14ns) at 2133MHz but a CL18 (9ns) at 4133MHz. So, besides the higher bandwith, his RAM running at 4133MHz are also 5ns faster (55%!) than running at 2133MHz. In contrast, he uses the same CL numbers for both 2133MHz and 3000MHz, and there you can really compare them. In the end, running at 4133MHz with the same latency (would equal CL28!), would not provide any relevant increase in FPS anymore, not even those statistically irrelevant 2% he observes (due to the lowered latency).

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Did you actually understand, what I was writing? I wrote, that a socket 2011 (v3) System does not profit anymore as due to the Quad Channel, the bandwith is already at 51.2 GB/s with 1600MHz Modules.

Yes sorry about that.

My mistake was thinking that Skylake (that SAAB240 tested) has a quad memory system.

I now see that it is only dual.

gb.

• Upvote 1

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Thanks for your informative posts relating to memory timings and freq. It was previously a bit mystical to me, but now I can see how it relates to balancing a system for best performance :) Cheers K
  • Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I use basic the same calculation for unload latency CL/mem frq x2000.

cl15 2133 14.0ns
cl15 3000 10.0ns
cl18 3886  9.3ns

that give approx 0.1 fps 1% faster unload latency, with 56fps at 2133mhz we get 3000mhz 60fps and 3866mhz 61fps.

you gain on both memspeed and CL latency thats clear, i dont see any plateau if locking at unload latency.

Its a lot more complicated then do a basic calulation on cas latency, you have second and third timings, componemt latency and more.

To get relivant info on your systems reaction to memspeed with different settings load etc, you need to run tests with for example Intel MLC.

balancing a system for best performance or as i like to say, get the best efficiency out of it is not easy.  

Be careful before write things like this ..It's really incredible how many false information is visible in such a short thread.

Its what i like to say, happy flying  with your fast or slow mems...

Kevin,

To add to this ... there is also Cache performance, Cache size, and the ability to set Cache frequency, and HT is ON of OFF.

It can be pretty exhausting getting the best efficiency.  My advice, find someone that has done all the leg work with verifiable proof it's working well with the FS platform(s) you use and get the exact same setup to the letter and use the same settings ... and "hope" it works.

Or just fly with a few less graphics options checked ... I'm very happy with my main FS PC (per all my videos) at 4.6Ghz HT OFF - CL15 DDR4 3000MHz quad channel (about 61-63GB/s pending which app is used to test) -- in terms of actual FPS in P3D V3.x, I'm about 40% higher FPS than if I used a standard CPU base clock with 2133MHz but most important is smoothness, temps, and reliability.

Over the decades of testing of RAM performance there can be gains, but there is a point of diminishing returns.

Cheers, Rob.

Kevin,

My advice, find someone that has done all the leg work with verifiable proof it's working well with the FS platform(s) you use and get the exact same setup to the letter and use the same settings ... and "hope" it works.

LOL I cant afford your setup Rob ;) Besides, I know I'll be better off understanding exactly why a particular hardware set works best in a particular way rather than just cribbing from someone else!

Cheers K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

LOL I cant afford your setup Rob ;) Besides, I know I'll be better off understanding exactly why a particular hardware set works best in a particular way rather than just cribbing from someone else!

My setup is NOT a good example of best performance to $$$ ratio ... absolutely no need for Titan X when a 980Ti will get it done and you can probably get very similar performance with a CPU that costs 1/2 as much.

I've been building PC's for 30+ years and I'm always learning something new as technology progresses ... but I honestly wouldn't wish that on anyone, however I applaud your willingness to understand it "all" ... but be warned it's constantly evolving, keeping up with technology is time consuming -- there are some EFI/BIOS settings I have no clue what they do and why I would want to adjust them ... every new motherboard that comes out seems to have another slew of completely new adjustments ... and on and on and on.

Out of all this, my most important advice is to NOT go cheap on the motherboard, it's the single most important part of any system build, especially if you plan to keep that system around for more than a year and grow it some.

Cheers, Rob.

My setup is NOT a good example of best performance to $$$ ratio ... absolutely no need for Titan X when a 980Ti will get it done and you can probably get very similar performance with a CPU that costs 1/2 as much.

Understood, I am aiming for an upgrade to a 980ti just looking for the right deal. CPU-wise my old i5 2500k isnt too bad at 4.7Ghz so I may just keep for a while since the cost of new mb, cpu, cooler, mem etc doesnt really look like a good investment of ££/performance (even to me so lord knows what my wife would make of it ;) )

I applaud your willingness to understand it "all"

I think its too much to understand it ALL in the time available, I'll settle for 80/90% and keep a decent family/hobby balance :)

Cheers K

xaP1VAU.png

On 11/9/2015 at 0:45 PM, turboken said:

Hi Michael,

From my testing going from 1600mhz to 2133mhz you will gain a solid 3 fps. When scenery is dialed in about 30 fps. So yeah thats 10%.

I just recently bought some 2800 ram and noticed another 3 fps increase. 

To further prove this I dropped the ram back to 1600 speed and lost 6 fps. So it definitely makes a difference. But thats up to you if buying faster ram is worth the few fps increase.

Can you send me a link to the 2800 ram u got? U fly in orbx regions?

considering this thread is over 1 1/2 years old I would seriously doubt that specific memory would be available anywhere today.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Keep an eye out on Amazon. Just last month I picked up some brand new Corsair 2x4GB 3000MHZ C12 memory for like $180 shipped. Last I looked, Corsair is still marketing it.

Good stuff too ....the XMP worked like a champ at 4.75MHZ with my I5-4670 on the Z87 Pro. Heck, It even runs at 1T.

On 5/8/2017 at 5:17 PM, FunknNasty said:

Keep an eye out on Amazon. Just last month I picked up some brand new Corsair 2x4GB 3000MHZ C12 memory for like $180 shipped. Last I looked, Corsair is still marketing it.

Good stuff too ....the XMP worked like a champ at 4.75MHZ with my I5-4670 on the Z87 Pro. Heck, It even runs at 1T.

How many fps did u gain? Are u locked or unlimited?

On 6/29/2017 at 4:11 PM, oscarduran10 said:

How many fps did u gain? Are u locked or unlimited?

I don't have a baseline. I just built my Haswell system for my V3 upgrade this past April and really didn't have it tuned til middle May ....and then V4 was released.......and then...

Prior to all of the above mentioned excitement I was on a Sandybridge using Prepared V2.5.

I will say this; my 2133c9 1.5v memory used with my Sandybridge (when overclocked) is as fast as my 3000c12. Oh, and yes, performance does scale with bandwidth and latency.

8 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

I don't have a baseline. I just built my Haswell system for my V3 upgrade this past April and really didn't have it tuned til middle May ....and then V4 was released.......and then...

Prior to all of the above mentioned excitement I was on a Sandybridge using Prepared V2.5.

I will say this; my 2133c9 1.5v memory used with my Sandybridge (when overclocked) is as fast as my 3000c12. Oh, and yes, performance does scale with bandwidth and latency.

Cuz im thinking of buying some 2400mhz cl10 ram. Coming from 1600 cl9

1 hour ago, oscarduran10 said:

Cuz im thinking of buying some 2400mhz cl10 ram. Coming from 1600 cl9

My upgrade as well

add +5 fps at least i would say

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png