Sign in to follow this  
AtlanticAviator

SSD: P3D AND OS? Or one for each?

Hi All,

I'm currently on the market for SSD(s) as an upgrade to my (archaic, as some may call it) HDD. However, I'm not sure whether I should buy one 500GB SSD for both the OS and P3D to be stored on at once (I thought this would be best?), or else buy two 256GB SSDs and have one dedicated purely to the OS and the other to P3D, or reluctantly buy one 256GB SSD and use my HDD for the OS.

I say reluctantly for the latter idea as wouldn't I then only be partially utilising the full capabilities of the SSD due to access speeds from the OS and such?

Anyway..I have already looked through countless other posts for an answer but I'm still not convinced I know what I'm doing. 

As a side-note, would anyone be able to confirm that, by putting P3D on an SSD, the loading of textures (in particular, ground textures) would be far quicker on an SSD? The reason I ask is because I have always had blurry textures on both FSX and P3D and nothing I have tried has worked (maybe this is the solution?).

Any advice is appreciated.  :smile:

Its a good question, often thought the same.  Sounds so much easier putting everything on one drive

As a side-note, would anyone be able to confirm that, by putting P3D on an SSD, the loading of textures (in particular, ground textures) would be far quicker on an SSD? The reason I ask is because I have always had blurry textures on both FSX and P3D and nothing I have tried has worked (maybe this is the solution?).

Using an SSD will load the P3D start screen quicker but will not solve the ground textures loading or blurries.  I ran x-plane and P3d on a hard drive 7200,  for me anyway it was the same using an SSD.   Apart from the quicker loading times.

I could be talking through my foot,   i'm sure im rite though 

Depends on the load of addons you have also. For me, 256GB for P3D or FSX is totally overkill. The same for the OS. I'm still running W10 on a 60GB old ssd, with 25GB left :P

If I were you, i'd go with 2 SSD, but only because i like to have my SIM is his "own" drive (or partition, you could particionate the 500GB SSD)

Cheers :)

N.-

SSDs are way too fast for you to notice any issues by having P3D on the same drive as the OS. They can load 20 programs at the same time without struggling.

I have my OS and P3D on the same 512GB drive and also use a 256GB for work/downloads/etc plus a third 512GB SSD for extra sceneries i might add.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I don't take much notice of this multi-drive fetish to be honest. I've always dumped it all on one drive and experienced great results.

For my new build, it's a single 1TB 850 Evo and be done with it.

As NaMcO said, it's not a consideration you should be worried about.

Also consider that if you place your sim on the same drive as the OS, you do have a pipeline of data writes to take into account.  Having two drives, one for OS and the other for sim, allows the system to write to two different channels instead of one.  While that doesn't sound like there is a difference, you must also take into account that unless your rig is for a sim only, you have other programs running, all requesting data.  The Windows OS is always writing data in the background, albeit small bits here and there.

I personally utilize two drives, call it paranoia from the old days when OS's crashed repeatedly.  I never trusted OS's back then and I still don't trust them now.  If you have tons of content for your sim, consider the protection factor of having it on a dedicated drive, in case of any issues with the OS, or even the physical drive itself.  Costs of SSDs these days are much lower now so think about affordability, security, longevity.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I don't take much notice of this multi-drive fetish to be honest. I've always dumped it all on one drive and experienced great results.

For my new build, it's a single 1TB 850 Evo and be done with it.

As NaMcO said, it's not a consideration you should be worried about.

Also consider that if you place your sim on the same drive as the OS, you do have a pipeline of data writes to take into account.  Having two drives, one for OS and the other for sim, allows the system to write to two different channels instead of one.  While that doesn't sound like there is a difference, you must also take into account that unless your rig is for a sim only, you have other programs running, all requesting data.  The Windows OS is always writing data in the background, albeit small bits here and there.

I personally utilize two drives, call it paranoia from the old days when OS's crashed repeatedly.  I never trusted OS's back then and I still don't trust them now.  If you have tons of content for your sim, consider the protection factor of having it on a dedicated drive, in case of any issues with the OS, or even the physical drive itself.  Costs of SSDs these days are much lower now so think about affordability, security, longevity.

-Jim

I could not quote everyone, however I have considered everything that has been said.

Thanks a lot for the very informative advice guys. I'm surprised to hear that the use of an SSD did not, in fact, improve the loading of or help the blurriness of textures for some people.

So, the verdict would be to have two separate 256GB SSDs, with one storing the OS and the other storing P3D. 120GB could potentially be sufficient (for P3D), but it's too big of a worry when you consider how quickly space can be used up.

However, I'm still yet to convince myself that it will be worth the investment, meaning that I will see advantages beyond faster loading times or eliminating the need for defragmentation. I was expecting some minor in-flight improvements, such as faster loading of textures/reduction in blurriness which could then potentially reduce stuttering. Maybe that would be too good to be true? Anyway, it's something to think about and continue researching until I'm fully convinced the move will be worth it. As always, the help is much appreciated. Cheers All.  :smile:

Kriss

I could not quote everyone, however I have considered everything that has been said.

Thanks a lot for the very informative advice guys. I'm surprised to hear that the use of an SSD did not, in fact, improve the loading of or help the blurriness of textures for some people.

So, the verdict would be to have two separate 256GB SSDs, with one storing the OS and the other storing P3D. 120GB could potentially be sufficient (for P3D), but it's too big of a worry when you consider how quickly space can be used up.

However, I'm still yet to convince myself that it will be worth the investment, meaning that I will see advantages beyond faster loading times or eliminating the need for defragmentation. I was expecting some minor in-flight improvements, such as faster loading of textures/reduction in blurriness which could then potentially reduce stuttering. Maybe that would be too good to be true? Anyway, it's something to think about and continue researching until I'm fully convinced the move will be worth it. As always, the help is much appreciated. Cheers All.  :smile:

Kriss

I once visited this thought before P3D came along.  I had spinning drives in my rig as well as an external HDD.  I installed FSX into my primary HDD with the OS and took a tally of stats, and then I installed it to it's own drive (internal secondary) took some stats and then installed it to the external drive.  I really didn't see any performance improvement, even with FSX installed on the external.  

I suppose if you didn't have anything cpu and data intensive running at the same time as your sim, you can get away with installing the sim anywhere and it'll be fine.  I only resorted to all SSDs recently due to lowering any heat buildup in my rig, which seems to have helped a lot.  It's a tough call as to what is the optimal setup to work with, but in the interests mentioned above, two drives can't hurt.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I once visited this thought before P3D came along.  I had spinning drives in my rig as well as an external HDD.  I installed FSX into my primary HDD with the OS and took a tally of stats, and then I installed it to it's own drive (internal secondary) took some stats and then installed it to the external drive.  I really didn't see any performance improvement, even with FSX installed on the external.  

I suppose if you didn't have anything cpu and data intensive running at the same time as your sim, you can get away with installing the sim anywhere and it'll be fine.  I only resorted to all SSDs recently due to lowering any heat buildup in my rig, which seems to have helped a lot.  It's a tough call as to what is the optimal setup to work with, but in the interests mentioned above, two drives can't hurt.

-Jim

It's interesting that you say. The only potentially cpu/data intensive program that would be running simultaneously with P3D would be my anti-virus. However, It can be easily disabled so that isn't really a problem at all. I think I'll go ahead an upgrade my GPU, determine where to go from there with regard to loading times etc. and perhaps make the purchase. Good, honest advice. Thanks Jim. 

Kriss