Sign in to follow this  
fnav77

Simconnect working with Plan-G, but not with AI Traffic, let alone ASN

Makes sense to me - just didn't realise SimConnect could do this.

Nevertheless, I'm still baffled by Fnav's issue with displaying the diagnostics window. Without this (or some debug output) I don't see how we're going to be able to work out which add-on is failing at which point. Since I've only ever experienced this functionality behaving itself as advertised, I'm struggling to come up with a theory of what may be going wrong.

The previous suggestion of mine relates to an application placing the SimConnect.dll in the Global Assembly Cache resulting in all .Net applications referencing the same version. I can imagine how this could cause problems within add-ons. However, Fnav reports that he's not using SE (the culprit in the thread on FSDeveloper) so I wonder if another add-on's installer (ASN?) might do the same thing??

If I get time I'll do some reading up on the GAC...

Dunno (99% sure they can co-exist happily) - but can we have a look at the install log?

This is the FSUIPC install log with the SimConnect lines in bold.... Maybe it will shed a bit of light.....

INSTALLATION FOR FSX:
SetupPath="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"
Checking version of the FSX EXE:
... Version 10.0.61637.0  (Need at least 10.0.60905.0)
Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:
    Found SimConnect build 60905 (Original)
    Found SimConnect build 61242 (SP1 May07)
    Found SimConnect build 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07)

Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC4 installed in:
       C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL
... Version 4.939u found.
FSX Modules folder already exists.
Okay -- installed FSUIPC4 into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL"
Looking for the current user's Application Data path:
... found as "C:\xxxxx\User\AppData\Roaming"
Now finding \Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG for all users, including this one
Looking in "C:\xxxxx\Administrator\AppData\Roaming"
Found FSX.CFG in "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG"
Now checking DLL.XML ...
... There is a previous DLL.XML, checking for FSUIPC4 section.
... FSUIPC4 section already exists but will be replaced.
     (for FSUIPC4, without Loader)
... FSUIPC4 section of DLL.XML written okay
Now checking for a SimConnect.XML file ...
... No SimConnect.XML file found. This is okay.
Looking in "C:\Users\All Users\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No FSX.CFG there
Looking in "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No FSX.CFG there
Looking in "C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No FSX.CFG there
Looking in "C:\Users\Public\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No FSX.CFG there
Looking in "C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming"
Found FSX.CFG in "C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG"
Now checking DLL.XML ...
... There is a previous DLL.XML, checking for FSUIPC4 section.
... FSUIPC4 section already exists but will be replaced.
     (for FSUIPC4, without Loader)
... FSUIPC4 section of DLL.XML written okay
Now checking for a SimConnect.XML file ...
... There is a SimConnect.XML, checking for "local" section.
... "local" section already exists, file not modified.
"Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder already exists.
Now installing additional files into the "Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder:
   Installed "FSUIPC4 User Guide.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC4 History.pdf" okay
   Installed "List of FSX and P3D controls.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC Lua Library.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC Lua Plug-Ins.pdf" okay
   Installed "Lua License.pdf" okay
   Installed "Lua Plugins for VRInsight Devices.pdf" okay
   Installed "LuaFileSystem.pdf" okay
   Installed "Example LUA plugins.zip" okay
   Installed "ASN WX Radar facilities in FSUIPC4.pdf" okay
   Installed "Offset Mapping for PMDG 737NGX.pdf" okay
   Installed "Offset Mapping for PMDG 777X.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC4 Offsets Status.pdf" okay
   Installed "Profiles in Separate Files.pdf" okay
===========================================================

All installer tasks completed.

*************** End of Install Log ***************

Visit my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/Captain Nav

Follow me live on Twitch http://www.twitch.tv/captainnav

What a well constructed install log. He's good, that Pete Dowson.

But alas, I don't think this sheds a great deal of further light. The references to SimConnect seem entirely normal. The installer finds the SimConnect.XML file (in which the local port is specified) in the "\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX" folder and ascertains that there is an entry in it for the local FSUIPC to access.

What is doesn't say is if the SimConnect.XML file has a "global" entry - which sets the parameters for a remote machine to access this one.

Perhaps this is a good time to take a look at that SimConnect.XML file. Would you mind posting it?

Also, can you confirm that you are not logging in using the Administrator account?

Cheers,

Z

It looks like FSUIIPC checks in two places for the SimConnect.XML   As long as it finds it in one of the two it should be okay.

Now an odd question, but one I should have asked; Can the OP see AI traffic in FSX?  In other words is it working correctly there?

Because if the OP can see his aircraft when connected to Plan-G and AI works on his FSX machine, but not in Plan-G once he presses the 'Traffc' button on the 'View' tab within Plan-G, then I am at a complete loss because then it doesn't sound like a simconnect issue. :-)

Of course, he could always press the VATSIM button and watch real simmulator pilots flying their aircraft!

Another point, which is FYI for the OP is that the only version of SimConnect that needs to be installed is the Accel version; 61259 on both computers, unless FSX: Steam is installed.  In which case Steam will install its own version.  It shouldn't hurt having the extra versions, it's just not necessary.

Enjoy..

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Hi Ernie.

Not sure the OP reported a problem seeing his ac in Plan-G; If I've understood the root issue correctly, he seemed to be unable to run AI from a remote machine and suspected SimConnect to be the culprit.

I'd agree with you that the FSUIPC log seems to indicate that it is working correctly LOCALLY, although there has been nothing yet to confirm that "global" (i.e. across the network) operation is working.

My strategy was to establish that the server starts normally and to see it's address/port settings in the diagnostic window and then observe the attempted connection from the remote machine. Sadly, we've failed at the 1st hurdle since the dialog window doesn't display, despite the SimConnect.ini file being apparently configured for it to do so. This suggested to me that the server is not reading the .ini file for some reason (permissions?). The other option is the log file - but the settings for this are also in the .ini file so I'm not expecting that to work either.

The current line of investigating the SimConnect.XML file can show us the configured port for the global entry but I can't see how we can establish whether or not SimConnect is even starting (other than the apparent operation of Plan-G which I presume uses SimConnect through the local connection?). I suppose it should probably show up in Task Manager. Thoughts?

Thanks for the clarification.. I misunderstood his original post.

Is Plan-G installed on his remote computer and if the answer is yes;   can he see his aircraft within it?

Ernest Pergrem

Hi guys,

First thing, the .xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
  <Descr>SimConnect</Descr>
  <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <SimConnect.Comm>
    <Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>
    <Scope>global</Scope>
    <Address>the machine IP address</Address>
    <MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
    <Port>5000</Port>
    <MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>
    <DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>
   </SimConnect.Comm>

<SimConnect.Comm>
<Protocol>Auto</Protocol>
<Scope>local</Scope>
</SimConnect.Comm>
</SimBase.Document>

I am not logged on as administrator.....

I can see AI Traffic in FSX and also in Plan G when connected to Plan G....Plan G is installed on the remote machine and, to reiterate, I can see both my aircraft and AI traffic in Plan G.

I had a look at permissions.... I can edit both the .ini and .xml files from the remote machine and I have no problems. It seems the remote machine has full control over these two files. Maybe I am missing something there.....

Hopefully, the .xml file can shed some light.....

Thanks again.

Oh this is frustrating! :fool:

I see nothing wrong with that SimConnect.xml file. I wouldn't use that port number personally but it's a trivial thing - I read somewhere that 1200 was a good starting point.

So let me remind myself of the issue:

When you run AI Traffic.exe on the remote machine, you get a command prompt window opening and closing, right - with no indication that it is operating?

Having just tried the very same thing on my machine without FSX running on my remote server, this is exactly what I get and I KNOW SimConnect is working just fine on this machine, since I've been programming with it.

I'm having another a-ha! moment (no Morten jokes please).

What's to say that SimConnect is not working on your setup too?

Maybe AI Traffic needs a bunch of other stuff to run... More reading required. Watch this space.

[Edit: After a pause for reading]

Hmmm.

I find nothing in the help file (%SDK installation folder%\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\Traffic Toolbox.html) that indicates that it can/should run on a remote machine.

Am I missing something?

Z

Not sticking it on a remote machine in this way, no.

It may well be that there is a way to configure it so that it works on a remote machine but so many elements seem to be dependent on things it would access locally that I would be very surprised if it DID work just by copying the exe across. I'll defer to anyone who knows better of course, but there would seem to be far simpler ways to confirm that SimConnect is installed correctly - not least to install a mature application designed to reside remotely.

If you've got Office installed, I could probably write you a few lines of VBA that would do the trick.

Z

I know it has been a couple of months.... I now have ASN working on the remote machine with no problems. The only weird thing so far is that ASN sounds, such as the ATIS, come out of the remote machine, not the main one (with which i use headsets....). I guess this is not a Sim Connect issue, though, but more like a networking thing.

I have not tried AI Traffic yet.....