Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

Frequent, extended pauses, then textures refresh ...

hello,i am having the pausing problem in flight,and my hard drive does go like crazy.i have been racking my brain trying to figure this out and thought by getting xp64 i would have minimal pauses but it seems i have traded ground pauses for climb and in flight extended pauses,have tried all the tweaks i know of.i run amd64 4000@2.6x850xt flashed to pe i gig ocz 4000 dfi ultra d moboi wonder what is causing the drive to churn so,any suggestions.thanks.

Well, I'm just not winning. I thought I was clear of the problem, but it's recurred, in several situations and with default parameters.Here's Task Manager, below. The dips are when I minimise the sim. As soon as I maximise it again, the CPU activity shoots up to 100% and continually locks, refreshes, locks, refreshes. When this is happening I lose mouse control and cannot operate any other programs at all either, so it's temporarily 'hung' each time.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/126684.jpgIt does appear that memory and commit charge are not issues.In the processes box, I see no activity other than FS9.EXE and Task Manager when all this is going on. No other program is interfering that I can spot.I've checked my Windows files integrity (START, RUN, sfc /scannow, well worth doing occasionally), changed drivers, rolled back a few days with Windows Restore, changed sliders to max and min, etc. etc. WHAT is causing this?Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Mark, I notice that you have 59 processes going. Clearly, you need to shut some of them down. Have you checked the www.blackviper.com web page. There is some excellent advice about which processes are expendable and should be shut down for more critical needs. Eliminating some of those processes will free up critical memory. fwiw, I checked and have 37 processes routinely running. I shut several down using fsautostart when I boot up FS9.Shermdca662

Point taken, Sherm, but although you're right - and yes, I do know Black Viper - this is clearly not the issue here. I have ALWAYS run with 58-60 processes, lock FPS at 20 or 25FPS and have had that level of FPS consistently for yonks. As I say above, those processes are using minimal memory and no CPU. I will get to sort them out one day, though. Last time I followed BV's advice, I had real problems as he suggested I disable a critical Windows file and I lost access altogether, so I'm wary.This is something quite different. The sim is unflyable. As soon as the textures reload, there's another pause for five to ten seconds and yet another reload. And so it goes on.Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Guest wildfire563

I found a big hit in my framerates when I had the fairly recent KBDL (Bradley, Windsor Locks CT) airport installed. If I unselect it from the scenery list, I get an FPS increase of 10 (out of 15-20 max) on my system. Sad because it is nice and I like flying there in real life. I have been having such problems lately that I went through and deselected everything out of my scenery list and slowly added each bare minimum set I need.

Well, I have the same problems that are described here. I have excellent performance always for the most part. When things get complicated (lots of ai, very detailed scenery...) I may get a slow down in the frame rates, but that is understandable. The problem is the long pauses, with texture refreshes that I encounter. They can not be attributed to any additional video requirements. Sometimes the FPS never even drop. I can have massive clouds, tons of ai and great scenery and everything is fine. Then, all of the sudden, I get a long pause with a refresh. The one thing that I have noticed is that these pauses seem to coincide with ATC. If ATC is busy, I seem to get pauses. Maybe?The strange thing is I had the pauses with the my last rig. I even went through the FSGS unification process with my last rig and I still got the pauses (BTW, Mike is a great guy and I recommend his service).I figured that I needed to ditch the on board sound so I got an external sound card. Still, I had pauses.Now I have a new rig. Everything new except the video card and the HD's. I am still using the same drives in raid 0 configuration. I still have the pauses. I'm sure it is not the video card because that is not the only vc I used with my old rig and still experienced pauses. I also had pauses with my ti4600. So, here I am, with a very nice system. I have great performance except for these occasional long pauses with texture refreshes that seem to correspond this atc interaction but a new sound card, video card, mobo, ram, CPU, fsgs unification, fs reinstall, XP reinstall or anything else short of getting new HD's doesn't seem to solve the problem.I'm a little buzzed so I will give you a short time line just in case the description above didn't make sense. Every time I upgraded, my rig was faster and smoother but I still had pauses.Original system: Asus P4G8X, P4 3.06, 1GB pc2100, ti4600 = pauses1st upgrade: Asus P4G8X, P4 3.06, 1GB pc2100, BFG 6800GT = pauses2nd upgrade: Asus P4G8X, P4 3.06, 1GB pc2100, BFG 6800GT, external sound card = pauses3rd upgrade: Asus P4G8X, P4 3.06, 1GB pc2100, BFG 68ooGT, External sound card, FSGS unification = pauses4th upgrade: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, Athlon64 3800+ 939, 1GB DDR400, BFG 6800GT = pausesNow, the obvious answer is that I need to replace my HD's with a couple of raptors or raid 0, but I would like to get to the bottom of this before I spend the $. The atc interaction and the pauses may be a coincidence or maybe not. I don't know. One thing I do know is that I have spent way too much money and time to fix this problem. BTW, I am using the following programs:Active Sky 5Active CameraFlight Enviroment (only since the last upgrade)

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I think I had a similar experience a while ago, cured it and it is back again.I noticed that autosave.dll and activeradar.dll (ActiveSky) had a big impact on my Flightsim performance. Exactly each 10 seconds I had a sort of hickup which moreless freezed the screen for half a second.I removed autosave.dll and activeradar which resolved my issues. I cannot use ActiveRadar, but I do not care. I did not like it anyhow. Autosave is the risk I had to take. However, now I have installed the PMDG B747 and the problem seems to be back. So I am also figuring out what it could be. But maybe those DLLs are in your modules folder as well, and may help you.Good luck,Ferry

Ferry, others have suggested that rogue DLLs might cause these hiccups, yes.I think - I say I think - I may have solved my own difficulties, which were more of complete, rolling freeze than pauses! As soon as everything loaded, it would freeze again, and again, and again, continually reloading.....I run a multimonitor set up. What seems to have solved my problem for the moment at least is changing the priorities of the monitors. Duhh. Why this works is beyond me. I am still running FS on the same screen of three, but instead of it being one of my 'extend desktop to this monitor?' choices, I have merely configured it as 'primary'. Bingo.This is not the same thing creating views on other screens and losing FPS in buckets (hence the need for Wideview, etc.). My FPS have never been the problem ... my FS was continually running at what I pegged it to, 20FPS, but would freeze at this speed.So that may be ME sorted for now. But my golly, this pause thingy comes up again and again, does it not?MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Guest QF6024

I finally decided to give the 'let FS create a new FS9.CFG file' option one more go.Mark, the above comment is there a specific option or are we talking about reload a new fs cfg file whilst backing up the original.I have only just had this problem arise myself.just purchased Active Sky, PMDG747 and PMDG 737.Active camera had been purchased prior but appeared OK except fom shimmy in spot view:-wave :-wave :-wave:-wave :-wave :-wave:-wave:-wave:-wave :-wave :-wave :-wave :-wave :-wave:-wave:-wave:-wave :-wave:-wave :-wave :-wave :-wave:-wave:-wave:-wave :-wave:-wave :-wave :-wave:-wave:-wave:-wave :-wave :-wave :-wave :-wave:-wave :-wave :-wave:-wave :-wave:-wave :-wave