Sign in to follow this  
motoadve

Prepar 3 D tuning guide AF M?

Found this, and I want to apply Affinity Mask , but do not understand how to do it, adding to the cfg file is not the problem, what I dont understand is the rest of the instruction.

The easiest method for modifying the affinity mask is to open the windows calculator in programmer view, select the binary display mode, and flip the bits in the binary number displayed to select which cores the application should run on. Note that the cores are represented right to left.

I open the calculator in programmer view but then what do I do?

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/getting_started/performance/tuning_guide.html

[JOBSCHEDULER] AffinityMask=14  

Non-Default entry. This entry will not exist in your Prepar3D.cfg file by default and must be added to the file.

Performance Tuning Tip:

By default, Prepar3D will use all available processor cores. On machines with four or more cores, it will dedicate a core to rendering tasks. The easiest method for modifying the affinity mask is to open the windows calculator in programmer view, select the binary display mode, and flip the bits in the binary number displayed to select which cores the application should run on. Note that the cores are represented right to left.

An add on manager for GSX added affinityMask=14 to my P3D.cfg file and it caused horrible blurries for about a week until I discovered the change and deleted it. Just be carefull if you play around with affinity mask, you may get something you don't want. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

GSX will NOT add any settings to your FSX or P3g cfg UNLESS you tell it to in the Addon manager. Some of the FSDT sceneries will add the 4096 texture resolution but you can simply change it back to what ever you like.

User error is not the same as the program doing it on it's own.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

couatl's fault

Not at all - user error!!

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Not every P3D user wants to modify their cfg file. But if you want to make a change in one of FSDT's sceneries, such as "View Optimisation",

or to turn off the "ground vehicles", the Addon Manager will also add the AM, "Swap Wait Timeout," FFTF, "Buffer Pools," etc, etc., to your P3D cfg file. Most people that have issues with the Addon Manager, are asking a very legitimate question; Why? When a user only wants to disable the annoying ground traffic.

Just my .02c

regards Craig

ummm how hard is it to edit a cfg file. Its text editing. Weve been doing it for how long now with FSX?

Its really quite simple. But going back to original issue. The addon manager ONLY makes the changes if you press SAVE. So not sure why it gets blamed for randomly making changes. Pressing SAVE means you agree and authorize it to make the changes your asking for.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I don't use the product so not speaking from personal experience. What I read in the above posts is that users are selecting to change ONE item and when they click SAVE, the product is changing SEVERAL items. All but one without their knowledge and consent.

I really cannot believe the developer would do this intentionally - have they commented on the issue or is it in fact, user error or a lack of understanding of program operation.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

If you have HT off do not use Affinity mask.

I don't even run NVI or have tweaks except this guide from Nick N Simforums who wrote this for me

NVI has exceptionally limited use in P3D 2x and above

Right now the only thing it can be used for is Sparce Grid SS and all that does is tone down texture swimming on some objects like radio towers, bridges, fences and on some large city buildings in the distance. In order to use it, it requires setting up the NV driver system first for the P3D application, then making changes to NVI that are completely different than the way it was used in the past to enhance or override the application settings.

Because P3D is constantly changing and the way Nvidia drivers change, it require the game profile in the Nvidia driver control panel be edited in order to assure NVI will take control of SSGS. NVI cant be used for standard AA control, only SSGS and some SLi settings.

In game we use ANSO x16 + MSAA 8 samples (MSAA 4 samples if you use SGSS x2-x4 in NVI) Be aware any use of NVI will kill performance, especially in weather and around large airports.

Frame lock and Vsync can be different for different systems. Some find locking at 20-30 works best, others find locking at 60 with/without Vsync or running unlimited works best. The problem with P3D is that there is actually more need for trial and error testing with frame lock over FSX and even different planes/scenery can drive a different frame lock/Vsync setup

1/2 Vsync doesn't work in P3D so any tweaks around that are useless

Most past tweaks have little or no effect. The only ones that have value with P3D 2x and above are:

[DISPLAY]

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80 to 160 adjustable this has far less effect than it did with FSX but still works. The effects are hardly noticeable in P3D but are there

[MAIN]

HideInfoText=1 still gets rid of all the screen readout junk unless you want it

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.10 to .33 adjustable

[sIM]

OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1

Those will have the most impact past scenery and AI settings.

None of the other tweaks for FSX are useful except in the case of Hyperthreading being ON in a system

Unlike FSX, in P3D if hyperthreading is enabled on a system then a proper Affinity Mask should be used. If HT is not enabled do NOT use affinity mask at all.

And be aware, I don't care who is pushing HT 'ON',... Although changes with P3D development have introduced better HT support, HT is not something the sim makes solid consistent use of and never will until the entire core is rewritten for that purpose. You are still far better off taking a good higher CPU speed and leaving HT OFF for cooler temps over HT ON and setting a proper affinity mask. Those who don't clock at all may find turning HT ON and setting a proper affinity mask works better

It really comes down to the system itself and the type of processor in use too.

Many find leaving all tweaks out other than OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1 is the best way to run

its all trial and error, just like FSX was. And just like FSX today, tomorrow and this week you may fly smooth and happy, and next week or next month a new plane or scenery introduces a wild card and you start all over again looking for the smoothest way to run.

The one thing people still don't seem to get is, there is no such thing as a NORM SETUP/BEST TWEAKS/ALWAYS WORKS IN EVERY SITUATION with Flight Simulator. What works today, may need to be changed tomorrow and more than 2-3-4 sets of config and settings saved for different situations.

There is no miracle with P3D.. although there have been good changes and advances,... its the same song, just a different tune.

• Upvote 1

Vernon Howells

I don't use the product so not speaking from personal experience. What I read in the above posts is that users are selecting to change ONE item and when they click SAVE, the product is changing SEVERAL items. All but one without their knowledge and consent.

I really cannot believe the developer would do this intentionally - have they commented on the issue or is it in fact, user error or a lack of understanding of program operation.

Vic

They have responded to it but they don't accept criticism on this. I am using P3Dv3 and wanted to add only the FSDT anti-pop-up setting which helps against stutter on KSFO approach. Added it by using their addon manager which resulted in some unnecessary and unwanted changes in my cfg (e.g. added AM=14 when I had no entry at all, with HT active).

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

It is poor software design. However, it is there for the user to see. Commments regarding software are, I agree, not always well received at that company. On the other hand, the company does ensure it stays on top of new developments and is usually amongst the first to update.

Reading my post, I see that I have managed to come down firmly on both sides of the issue:)

What has worked for me is to set all of the options that are present in addon manager either in Prepar3d.cfg or a program such as SIMstarter. When next you open addon manager you will see that it reflects your choices. You can then change FSDT specific options without it messing with your setup.

@motoadve,

My apologies, I should have posted this link, instead of commenting on FSDT. 

If you decide to try again, setting the Affinity mask for your cpu, have a read through the first post

in this thread; 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/444793-one-tweak-to-rule-them-all-how-to-set-affinity-mask-correctly/?hl=%2Baffinity+%2Bmask+%2Busing+%2Bwindows+%2Bcalculator

The op gives an excellent tutorial on how to decode the binary/decimal geek speak of the mysterious affinity mask.

regards, Craig